Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lowering basement floor

Hi,

I live in a late georgian/early victorian townhouse. The basement is
currently 218 cm from concrete floor to exposed ceiling joist. We are
moving our kitchen into the basement, and planning to fit some
underfloor heating and insulating boards. I'm quite tall and want to
keep the ceiling height as high as possible.

The builder has dug a trench for a drain, and we've found that the
concrete floor is approx 10cm deep, then turns into brick below that,
Other than the work itself, would there be any problem in removing the
concrete layer completely, then re-laying the boards and tiles onto a
much thinner layer of concrete or screed? I'm assuming that if the
brick was the original floor layer, then this is unlikely to cause
structural problems. If we did do this, should we do anything to make
sure we don't get damp coming up?

Thanks,

Miles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:37:50 -0700 (PDT), miles
wrote:

[...]

You should consult an expert on this. Georgian houses are not noted
for actually having foundations, just bricks laid on soil. )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
miles wrote:
I live in a late georgian/early victorian townhouse. The basement is
currently 218 cm from concrete floor to exposed ceiling joist. We are
moving our kitchen into the basement, and planning to fit some
underfloor heating and insulating boards. I'm quite tall and want to
keep the ceiling height as high as possible.

The builder has dug a trench for a drain, and we've found that the
concrete floor is approx 10cm deep, then turns into brick below that,
Other than the work itself, would there be any problem in removing the
concrete layer completely, then re-laying the boards and tiles onto a
much thinner layer of concrete or screed? I'm assuming that if the
brick was the original floor layer, then this is unlikely to cause
structural problems. If we did do this, should we do anything to make
sure we don't get damp coming up?

It's not damp I'd be worried about but undermining the fountations. Which
are likely minimal.

It's a popular conversion in this Victorian area, changing a cellar into a
habitable basement, and this involves effectively underpinning to gain the
height needed.

Before doing *anything* I'd consult a structural engineer.

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Off topic

In view of the fact that this control freak government are intent on
spying on our phone calls and Internet activity, is there any way your
tag system can cope with random bombings, murders etc.?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 20, 9:37*pm, miles wrote:
[...]

I've no idea whether you could replace 4" concrete with half an inch
of sand filled resin on a compacted base, but would at least inquire.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

miles wrote:

I live in a late georgian/early victorian townhouse. The basement is
currently 218 cm from concrete floor to exposed ceiling joist. We are
moving our kitchen into the basement, and planning to fit some
underfloor heating and insulating boards. I'm quite tall and want to
keep the ceiling height as high as possible.

The builder has dug a trench for a drain, and we've found that the
concrete floor is approx 10cm deep, then turns into brick below that,
Other than the work itself, would there be any problem in removing the
concrete layer completely, then re-laying the boards and tiles onto a
much thinner layer of concrete or screed? I'm assuming that if the
brick was the original floor layer, then this is unlikely to cause
structural problems. If we did do this, should we do anything to make
sure we don't get damp coming up?

It's probable that the brick below the slab is a form of hardcore. You
would have to lower this before you put back a 100mm minimum thick slab.
Anything less would just crack up. To comply with Building Regs, would
would also be required to install insulation under the slab (not just
the thin stuff that goes under underfloor heating), unless it was a deep
basement and you were to put insulation on the walls to offset the heat
loss. Whether you would choose to let B/Control know is up to you. While
you were doing this, you'd be best installing a proper tanking membrane
below the floor & the walls.

As has been said, this is all contingent on your foundations being
deeper than the bottom of your hardcore. A house I went to last week
didn't, and now the owner has a cellar full of concrete, a bill for
putting up his and his neighbour's tenants for several days, and a
notice requiring him to underpin the party wall.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost writes:

As has been said, this is all contingent on your foundations being
deeper than the bottom of your hardcore. A house I went to last week
didn't, and now the owner has a cellar full of concrete, a bill for

Filled to the brim?

putting up his and his neighbour's tenants for several days, and a
notice requiring him to underpin the party wall.

That's presumably rather difficult once the cellar is filled
with concrete?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost writes:
As has been said, this is all contingent on your foundations being
deeper than the bottom of your hardcore. A house I went to last week
didn't, and now the owner has a cellar full of concrete, a bill for

Filled to the brim?

No, just to the top of where he'd snapped off the spreader course. Which
is ~600mm higher than he wanted it. Never mind, the easiest solution is
to raise the ground floor joists. After all, anyone over 4'9" can easily
stoop through a door.

putting up his and his neighbour's tenants for several days, and a
notice requiring him to underpin the party wall.

That's presumably rather difficult once the cellar is filled
with concrete?

That's something his engineer and a magistrate will have to come up
with. Luckily (ha!) for him, the concrete must have followed the
diggers all the way from Poland, because it still hadn't set properly
after five days!
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 20, 8:37*pm, miles wrote:
[...]

there's one other option, to lower the floor except right at the
edges, where you leave a sloping section (at 38 degrees IIRC). Its a
compromise but can be made to work, and saves the cost & trouble of
underpinning etc

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 4, 10:56*pm, Appin wrote:
The message

from contains these words:

there's one other option, to lower the floor except right at the
edges, where you leave a sloping section (at 38 degrees IIRC). Its a
compromise but can be made to work, and saves the cost & trouble of
underpinning etc

No need to slope. *Stop about 600mm from the walls and cut down the
plinths *of your kitchen units.

yes, step or slope is fine. 2' is pretty big though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 5, 4:51 pm, wrote:
On Nov 4, 10:56 pm, Appin wrote:

The message

from contains these words:

there's one other option, to lower the floor except right at the
edges, where you leave a sloping section (at 38 degrees IIRC). Its a
compromise but can be made to work, and saves the cost & trouble of
underpinning etc

No need to slope. Stop about 600mm from the walls and cut down the
plinths of your kitchen units.

yes, step or slope is fine. 2' is pretty big though.

I don't think the OP needs a 2' step. It was Hugo's acquaintance that
had 600mm more than he wanted.