Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default joist strength

I am putting a megaflo HW cylinder in the renovation and need to
construct the floor of the airing cupboard (which is above the
staircase).

The weight when full of the particular model will be 228Kg and I was
wondering how I ensure that the floor it is standing on is strong enough
for that weight.

Is their an easy way to calculate the joist size I need to use?

Cheers
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
I am putting a megaflo HW cylinder in the renovation and need to
construct the floor of the airing cupboard (which is above the
staircase).

The weight when full of the particular model will be 228Kg and I was
wondering how I ensure that the floor it is standing on is strong enough
for that weight.

Perhaps mount it on a suitable wall mounted bracket as well ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 19 Oct, 20:08, Martin Carroll wrote:
I am putting a megaflo HW cylinder in the renovation and need to
construct the floor of the airing cupboard (which is above the
staircase).

The weight when full of the particular model will be 228Kg and I was
wondering how I ensure that the floor it is standing on is strong enough
for that weight.

Is their an easy way to calculate the joist size I need to use?

joist sizes used to be specified in tables to the Building Regs,
unfortunately my copy is old & probably out of date: if you are lucky
someone will be along soon with chapter & verse. If not, I will look
out the info for you tomorrow.

Apart from the load (228Kg), you need to know the span of the joist &
the distance between joist centres to lookup (or calculate) joist
sizes.

The other point you should watch is that you mention a staircase.
Simple Bldg Reg joist sizes are mainly for joists fully supported at
both ends, eg by walls. If the floor is otherwise supported -
suspended, held up by a Newel, on a cantilever, part of a truss, etc -
the whole structure should be reassessed for strength. If in doubt
please repost with more info.

228Kg is not that much of a weight - only 3 average adults & a floor
to BReg stads should support that. However if left as a point load
for a prolonged time it could be enough to cause a floor to sag.

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Oct, 20:08, Martin Carroll wrote:
I am putting a megaflo HW cylinder in the renovation and need to
construct the floor of the airing cupboard (which is above the
staircase).

The weight when full of the particular model will be 228Kg and I was
wondering how I ensure that the floor it is standing on is strong enough
for that weight.

Is their an easy way to calculate the joist size I need to use?

Cheers
--
Martin Carroll

Try the Superbeam softwa http://www.sda.co.uk/sbw.htm. You can get
a demo version which will give you enough features to do your
calculation.

dan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
I am putting a megaflo HW cylinder in the renovation and need to
construct the floor of the airing cupboard (which is above the
staircase).

The weight when full of the particular model will be 228Kg and I was
wondering how I ensure that the floor it is standing on is strong enough
for that weight.

Is their an easy way to calculate the joist size I need to use?

Cheers
--
Martin Carroll

The weight, which is about twice that of my ordinary HW tank, will be less
of an issue if the tank is next to an outside wall which supports one end of
the joists.

It must be a common problem for tanks the size of yours so you might be able
to get some advice from Megaflow.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

You will find tables of acceptable joist sizes in Appendix A of
Building Regs Approved Document A 1992 edition at

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl..._AD_A_1992.pdf

note the tables are for good quality - ie graded - timber.

Also note that the sizings given are for an assumed "live" load on the
supported as given in the text of the regs (effectively so many Kg/
Newtons per square meters) - thiat is the assumed max load of the room
contents + passing traffic. The tables allow in addition for the self
weight of the joists.

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, jim writes
You will find tables of acceptable joist sizes in Appendix A of
Building Regs Approved Document A 1992 edition at

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl..._AD_A_1992.pdf

note the tables are for good quality - ie graded - timber.

Also note that the sizings given are for an assumed "live" load on the
supported as given in the text of the regs (effectively so many Kg/
Newtons per square meters) - thiat is the assumed max load of the room
contents + passing traffic. The tables allow in addition for the self
weight of the joists.

HTH

Cheers

I will check these out.
--
Martin Carroll

Strength of wood wayne Woodworking 11 May 19th 08 05:37 PM
Joist strength Steve[_4_] UK diy 65 September 27th 07 04:12 PM
The Strength of M&T Joints Roy Woodworking 2 September 26th 06 08:58 PM
Tenon Strength / Rail strength- Max? [email protected] Woodworking 2 August 21st 06 05:21 PM
strength of timber Zipadee Doodar UK diy 17 January 11th 05 03:21 AM