Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Science of DIY -bbc r7 listen again

The Science of DIY
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dpybt

Len Fisher and fellow experts deconstruct the workings of home and gardening
implements

13:45 -14:00
BBC Radio 7Getting In A Twist - Screws And Screwdrivers
7 days left to listen
Len Fisher and fellow experts demonstrate how these metal fasteners are in
fact levers. 2 Oct 2008
13:45 -14:00
BBC Radio 7Tightening Up - Nuts and Bolts
6 days left to listen
Len Fisher and fellow experts offer choice tips, whilst renovating an old
bicycle. 1 Oct 2008
13:45 -14:00
BBC Radio 7If I Had A Hammer - Hammer and Nails
5 days left to listen
Len Fisher and fellow experts locate the 'sweet spot' to hit your nail on
the head. 30 Sep 2008
13:45 -14:00
BBC Radio 7A Chip off the Old Block - Chisels and Saws
4 days left to listen
Len Fisher and fellow experts reveal how to sharpen and use your tools
properly. 29 Sep 2008
13:45 -14:00
BBC Radio 7The Wheelbarrow
3 days left to listen
Len Fisher and fellow experts reveal the importance of leverage when
conveying a load. 8 Feb 2008
13:15 -13:30
BBC Radio 7Getting In A Twist - Screws And Screwdrivers
7 days left to listen
Len Fisher and fellow experts demonstrate how these metal fasteners are in
fact levers. 7 Feb 2008
13:15 -13:30
BBC Radio 7Tightening Up - Nuts and Bolts
6 days left to listen
Len Fisher and fellow experts offer choice tips, whilst renovating an old
bicycle. 6 Feb 2008
13:15 -13:30
BBC Radio 7If I Had A Hammer - Hammer and Nails
5 days left to listen
Len Fisher and fellow experts locate the 'sweet spot' to hit your nail on
the head. 5 Feb 2008
13:15 -13:30
BBC Radio 7A Chip off the Old Block - Chisels and Saws
4 days left to listen
Len Fisher and fellow experts reveal how to sharpen and use your tools
properly. 4 Feb 2008
13:15 -13:30
--

[george]

~

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 3, 10:53*pm, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:
The Science of DIYhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dpybt

Len Fisher and fellow experts deconstruct the workings of home and gardening
implements

How does one save these files?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The Science of DIYhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dpybt

Len Fisher and fellow experts deconstruct the workings of home and gardening
implements

*13:45 -14:00
BBC Radio 7Getting In A Twist - Screws And Screwdrivers
7 days left to listen
Len Fisher and fellow experts demonstrate how these metal fasteners are in
fact levers. 2 Oct 2008

Some very baisc info in there, buried among a lot of waffle. And as
always with the bbc they couldnt quite get their basic facts right.

"screws will never damage a screwdriver"
"you can put your full weight on a screw when unscrewing and the
thread will never slip"

One interesting tip there, hammering a philips screwdriver into a
slotted screwhead to get it out.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 5, 6:35*pm, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

wrote:
The Science of DIYhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dpybt

Len Fisher and fellow experts deconstruct the workings of home and gardening
implements

How does one save these files?

I think you aren't meant to be able to.
When I've wanted to keep one, I just send the audio
out from one machine to the line in on another.
I'm told there are various bits of software which
can intercept the audio path inside windows and save
the digital data, but I don't run Windows (much),
and the things I've wanted to keep have only been
voice-based for the most part so HiFi not required.

Once I posted that I realised I was being dense and googled. But the
quality of the first one persuaded me I wasnt missing out. Thanks for
explaining.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It would be nice to be able to save them to listen to in the future not this
week.
Is there an easy way to save them in Windows or Ubuntu?

--

[george]

wrote:
The Science of DIYhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dpybt

Len Fisher and fellow experts deconstruct the workings of home and
gardening
implements

How does one save these files?

NT

I gave up trying to do that. I wasn't going to invest too much time in it
either, given how little BBC material one would want to keep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

M or A or NT writ:
. But the
quality of the first one persuaded me I wasnt missing out.

I found at least one idea in each 15min programme
that sparked a new connection of understanding in my brane
in the chat between the physicist and the handyman...

(and a few laughs too!)

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

How does one save these files?

Audacity. You're welcome, you tosser.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:

BBC Radio 7Getting In A Twist - Screws And Screwdrivers
7 days left to listen
Len Fisher and fellow experts demonstrate how these metal fasteners are in
fact levers. 2 Oct 2008

Umm well, I'd say the screwdriver is a lever. But a screw is a ramp, and
I can't recall ramps being described as levers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The Science of DIYhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dpybt

Len Fisher and fellow experts deconstruct the workings of home and
gardening
implements
How does one save these files?

NT
I gave up trying to do that. I wasn't going to invest too much time
in it either, given how little BBC material one would want to keep.

Streambox VCR (free but you do have to search for it since Real threatened
them with legal action) will record them - at least from the old listen
again system the Beeb used. You just drag the link on the radio 7 page to
streambox. Or drag the 'listen on realplayer' on the listen again page to
streambox.

Or you can find the actual link using url snooper (the older version is
better as you don't have to keep going to some web site to keep it working)
and drop that into streambox.

Using the new iplayer then Replay Media Catcher will record it - you start
to listen then stop. The program catches it. But it is not free and you must
have the latest version (2.8???) as Beeb has tweaked iPlayer again.

--
Mark BR

Whatever freeware/ bootleg verion of something or another I used, the
quality of the recording was diabolical. I ditched it, and IPlayer too.

I sometimes record radio stuff via the freeview box/dvd recorder and
then convert to mp3.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 6, 4:28*pm, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:
M or A or NT writ:

. But the
quality of the first one persuaded me I wasnt missing out.

I found at least one idea in each 15min programme
that sparked a new connection of understanding in my brane

You also seem to have lost at least one connection. ^^^^^

Was it a fair exchange?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 8, 1:47*pm, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:
I can't remember!

Do you think you can remember not to top post?

MBQ