Senior Member

Question Plasterboard and skimming question

When using straight forward square-edged boards (not tapered) and am having a skim over the top, do I need to use jointing tape?

If I don't and skim over the boards and joints with Multifinish, me thinks the hairline cracks will begin to show on all joints.

Am I correct? Have been around plastering on many jobs and never paid attention to that detail!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plasterboard and skimming question

In article ,
Cordless Crazy writes:

When using straight forward square-edged boards (not tapered) and am
having a skim over the top, do I need to use jointing tape?

You use scrim tape (course nylon netting).
(Jointing tape is a more general term that includes other types.)

If I don't and skim over the boards and joints with Multifinish, me
thinks the hairline cracks will begin to show on all joints.

Depends how well you have fixed the board edges.
Scrim tape won't completely prevent hairline cracks, but
should keep them small enough to vanish when painted.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cordless Crazy" wrote in message

When using straight forward square-edged boards (not tapered) and am
having a skim over the top, do I need to use jointing tape?

If I don't and skim over the boards and joints with Multifinish, me
thinks the hairline cracks will begin to show on all joints.

Am I correct? Have been around plastering on many jobs and never paid
attention to that detail!!

--
Cordless Crazy

I can't do ceilings cos of me back :-( but I'd run a bead of silicon sealent
along the edges and butt up with each plaster board then put a jointing tape
over.
This will definatly stop cracks appearing unless the the floor above is
reapeatedly jumped on. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Cordless Crazy" wrote in message
When using straight forward square-edged boards (not tapered) and am
having a skim over the top, do I need to use jointing tape?

If I don't and skim over the boards and joints with Multifinish, me
thinks the hairline cracks will begin to show on all joints.

Am I correct? Have been around plastering on many jobs and never paid
attention to that detail!!

--
Cordless Crazy

I can't do ceilings cos of me back :-( but I'd run a bead of silicon sealent

NO it wont take paint. Use decorators caulk.

But that is no real solution either.

along the edges and butt up with each plaster board then put a jointing tape
over.

its te tape that does what you want. Spreads the load.

This will definatly stop cracks appearing unless the the floor above is
reapeatedly jumped on. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Cordless Crazy" wrote in message
When using straight forward square-edged boards (not tapered) and am
having a skim over the top, do I need to use jointing tape?

If I don't and skim over the boards and joints with Multifinish, me
thinks the hairline cracks will begin to show on all joints.

Am I correct? Have been around plastering on many jobs and never paid
attention to that detail!!

--
Cordless Crazy

I can't do ceilings cos of me back :-( but I'd run a bead of silicon
sealent

NO it wont take paint. Use decorators caulk.

Erm! he's skimming over the boards, the tape will hide the sealent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
George wrote:
"Cordless Crazy" wrote in message
When using straight forward square-edged boards (not tapered) and am
having a skim over the top, do I need to use jointing tape?

If I don't and skim over the boards and joints with Multifinish, me
thinks the hairline cracks will begin to show on all joints.

Am I correct? Have been around plastering on many jobs and never paid
attention to that detail!!

--
Cordless Crazy
I can't do ceilings cos of me back :-( but I'd run a bead of silicon
sealent

NO it wont take paint. Use decorators caulk.

Erm! he's skimming over the boards, the tape will hide the sealent.

but wont stick to it.

Silicone sealant should only be used where its the final flexible
unpainted waterproof surface.

Fore everything els there is..well not barclaycard, but another approach...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
George wrote:
"Cordless Crazy" wrote in
message ...
When using straight forward square-edged boards (not tapered) and am
having a skim over the top, do I need to use jointing tape?

If I don't and skim over the boards and joints with Multifinish, me
thinks the hairline cracks will begin to show on all joints.

Am I correct? Have been around plastering on many jobs and never paid
attention to that detail!!

--
Cordless Crazy
I can't do ceilings cos of me back :-( but I'd run a bead of silicon
sealent
NO it wont take paint. Use decorators caulk.

Erm! he's skimming over the boards, the tape will hide the sealent.

but wont stick to it.

What part of it don't you understand?

Put a beading of sealent along the edge of each PB butt up each PB and screw
to ceiling,wipe of an excess sealent then put the tape over the PB edges.

It's not rocket science.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"George" writes:

George wrote:
George wrote:
"Cordless Crazy" wrote in
message ...
[...]

It's the wrong type of filler for multiple reasons.
If the boards are screwed to the same timber along the edge,
nothing is required. If the edge is floating, you need a
solid filler, not flexible. I prefer to leave enough gap so
you can force plaster bonding coat through, which will
rigidly bond the board edges. If you just have a small
crack between floating edges, just force the finish coat
plaster in the gap as you skim the ceiling. In all cases,
use scrim tape along the joins too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

George wrote:
George wrote:
George wrote:
"Cordless Crazy" wrote in
message ...
[...]

It does not matter - as soon as you wipe the silicone you will be left with
a thin layer around the joint. then a few months later, after skimming the
plaster is likely to crack and fall off in these areas. Silicone is the
wrong sealant for the job.

Can you understand this perspective?

cheers

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DM" wrote in message
George wrote:
George wrote:
George wrote:
"Cordless Crazy" wrote in
message ...
[...]

No use trying to tell me because I've done it in the past hence why I
mention it ie it works.

even you cannot understand that we cover the joins with tape so that plaster
makes no contact with any of the sealant.

Sheeeesh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

George wrote:
"DM" wrote in message
George wrote:
George wrote:
George wrote:
"Cordless Crazy" wrote in
message ...
[...]

You may be happy with this, but I think you'll find most people prefer the
correct tool for the job when it is available.. silicone here is just a bodge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DM" wrote in message
George wrote:
"DM" wrote in message
George wrote:
George wrote:
George wrote:
"Cordless Crazy" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Have you done any serious plastering over 2 years and I dont mean little
patches here and there? and whats the correct tool for the job?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

"DM" wrote in message
George wrote:
"DM" wrote in message
George wrote:
George wrote:
George wrote:
"Cordless Crazy" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I've never seen a plasterer using silicone - can't see any reason why you
would want to but I'm sure it will have no effect either way if taped over,
so carry on if you want to!. Not sure what you mean by tool but a plasterer
would use self-adhesive jointing mesh tape over the joins and then skim.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 2 Oct,
"George" wrote:

Have you done any serious plastering over 2 years and I dont mean little
patches here and there? and whats the correct tool for the job?

If you do bodges like that you can't have done /any/ serious plastering.
silicone under tape is a serious bodge, it hasn't the strength to prevent
the
finish from cracking.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Neither has just leaving it without the sealant has it the strength.
As much as Id like to show you my serious plastering, believe me when I say
this I have been congratulated by a time served plasterer on my plastering
ie walls that span 10'x12' my best comes when doing archways as I like doing
them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

wrote in message
On 2 Oct,
"George" wrote:

Have you done any serious plastering over 2 years and I dont mean little
patches here and there? and whats the correct tool for the job?

If you do bodges like that you can't have done /any/ serious plastering.
silicone under tape is a serious bodge, it hasn't the strength to prevent
the
finish from cracking.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Neither has just leaving it without the sealant has it the strength.
As much as Id like to show you my serious plastering, believe me when I
say this I have been congratulated by a time served plasterer on my
plastering ie walls that span 10'x12' my best comes when doing archways as
I like doing them.

No-one was commenting on your plaster finish (which we have no reason to
suppose isn't excellent) or doing archways (ditto), just your habit of using
silicone! It's not a crime nor is it bad, but, with moderen jointing tapes
(or, in the old days, properly applied jute scrim tape) it's just
unnecessary in many people's opinion.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DM wrote:
George wrote:
"DM" wrote in message
George wrote:
George wrote:
George wrote:
"Cordless Crazy" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Its not a bodge. Its totally useless thats all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

George wrote:
"DM" wrote in message
George wrote:
"DM" wrote in message

Sheeeesh!

You may be happy with this, but I think you'll find most people prefer the
correct tool for the job when it is available.. silicone here is just a
bodge.

Have you done any serious plastering over 2 years and I dont mean little
patches here and there? and whats the correct tool for the job?

What has that got to do with anything.... or is it just time to change the
topic??

It was a phrase- the emphasis should be that silicone is simply the wrong
thing (tool) to use I thought you could work it out... Sorry that I was not
literal enough for you to follow.

cheers

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DM" wrote in message
George wrote:
"DM" wrote in message
George wrote:
"DM" wrote in message

Sheeeesh!
You may be happy with this, but I think you'll find most people prefer
the correct tool for the job when it is available.. silicone here is
just a bodge.

Have you done any serious plastering over 2 years and I dont mean little
patches here and there? and whats the correct tool for the job?

What has that got to do with anything.... or is it just time to change the
topic??

It was a phrase- the emphasis should be that silicone is simply the wrong
thing (tool) to use I thought you could work it out... Sorry that I was
not literal enough for you to follow.

cheers

David

You seem to be doing a lot of spouting in here but I've yet to see any of
your post relating to actually doing DIY work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

George wrote:
"DM" wrote in message
George wrote:
"DM" wrote in message
George wrote:
"DM" wrote in message
Sheeeesh!
You may be happy with this, but I think you'll find most people prefer
the correct tool for the job when it is available.. silicone here is
just a bodge.
Have you done any serious plastering over 2 years and I dont mean little
patches here and there? and whats the correct tool for the job?

What has that got to do with anything.... or is it just time to change the
topic??

It was a phrase- the emphasis should be that silicone is simply the wrong
thing (tool) to use I thought you could work it out... Sorry that I was
not literal enough for you to follow.

cheers

David

You seem to be doing a lot of spouting in here but I've yet to see any of
your post relating to actually doing DIY work?

Well George

I've been around over the years, accounts change, the name on that accounts
that I've used may also change, as do the PC's, if you've missed this then
so be it.

But most importantly I have absolutely no need or desire to justify myself
or my posts to you, and what you judge as some valid contribution.

cheers

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DM" wrote in message
George wrote:
"DM" wrote in message
George wrote:
"DM" wrote in message
George wrote:
"DM" wrote in message
[...]

Hah a sort of DIY art critic, slag the artist of about their work when they
dont art themselves.

plasterboard joint prep before skimming? nafuk UK diy 1 January 31st 08 10:59 PM
Skimming plasterboard John UK diy 4 July 19th 06 11:59 PM
Skimming plasterboard - how Martin Bonner UK diy 15 May 3rd 06 09:16 AM
Plasterboard - which side for skimming ? Mark Downey UK diy 10 July 13th 05 09:39 AM
Skimming Damaged Plasterboard Richard Conway UK diy 3 May 3rd 05 03:52 PM