Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Pilly Sillock

Outside, cutting a piece of 2x1 with a handsaw. Finished cutting wood
and decided to cut hand!

(Not quite sure what happened - I had finished the actual sawing. Maybe
the blade got caught in the sawcut and sprang out across my hand? Right
through fairly stout fabric gloves. Deep cut just below first finger of
left hand.)

Blood, blood and a bit more blood. Wrapped up hand in bandage and drove
to A&E. (Minor unjuries unit, actually - real A&E too far away for me to
have driven.) Apart from no parking places - which is difficult when
hand is painful and bleeding everywhere - seen to, x-rayed and sewn up
quite quickly.

Wearing a sling and waiting for pain to cut in when local wears off. :-(

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:36:51 +0100, Rod
wrote:

Outside, cutting a piece of 2x1 with a handsaw. Finished cutting wood
and decided to cut hand!

(Not quite sure what happened - I had finished the actual sawing. Maybe
the blade got caught in the sawcut and sprang out across my hand? Right
through fairly stout fabric gloves. Deep cut just below first finger of
left hand.)

Blood, blood and a bit more blood. Wrapped up hand in bandage and drove
to A&E. (Minor unjuries unit, actually - real A&E too far away for me to
have driven.) Apart from no parking places - which is difficult when
hand is painful and bleeding everywhere - seen to, x-rayed and sewn up
quite quickly.

Wearing a sling and waiting for pain to cut in when local wears off. :-(

How many stitches? Last time I did something like that there was no
blood at all but I had to get 4 or 5 stitches which were so well done
that they had unravelled a few minutes after I got home .The sling is
a waste of time .I threw mine off so I could drive home .It's required
by A+E to make sure you keep your arm up but serves little purpose .
That was the third time there .First time a socket slipped when
undoing a wheel nut on a car I was scrapping and my hand smacked in to
the rusty wing .Next time a saw slipped across a floorboard right
across the back of my hand . Last time I poked around in the sink and
"found" a piece of wineglass that I had missed when picking out the
broken pieces ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

[...]

Not sure - four? Took a lot of care and appeared to do a good job.

They just gave me the triangular and a safety pin because she knew
I had to drive - partner looked on web and found what to do with it. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

(Not quite sure what happened - I had finished the actual sawing. Maybe
the blade got caught in the sawcut and sprang out across my hand? Right
through fairly stout fabric gloves. Deep cut just below first finger of
left hand.)

You need to watch those "Jetcut" saws. They seem to be made by welding
whole lines of surgical scalpels together. At the time they cut you,
there's no sensation at all. A few seconds later and it's blood
everywhere and pain in bucketloads.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Outside, cutting a piece of 2x1 with a handsaw. Finished cutting wood
and decided to cut hand!

(Not quite sure what happened - I had finished the actual sawing. Maybe
the blade got caught in the sawcut and sprang out across my hand? Right
through fairly stout fabric gloves. Deep cut just below first finger of
left hand.)

Ooh, don't you just hate it when that happens?

Standard builder/joiner injury - I reckon most have scars there.
I was 'lucky' when I did it in that in my case the saw bounced as the
full length of the blade travelled across the back of my hand, resulting
in 4 moderately small parallel gashes rather than 1 extremely large one.
Lots of blood but fortunately no trip to A&E for me.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Outside, cutting a piece of 2x1 with a handsaw. Finished cutting wood
and decided to cut hand!

(Not quite sure what happened - I had finished the actual sawing. Maybe
the blade got caught in the sawcut and sprang out across my hand? Right
through fairly stout fabric gloves. Deep cut just below first finger of
left hand.)

Blood, blood and a bit more blood. Wrapped up hand in bandage and drove
to A&E. (Minor unjuries unit, actually - real A&E too far away for me to
have driven.) Apart from no parking places - which is difficult when
hand is painful and bleeding everywhere - seen to, x-rayed and sewn up
quite quickly.

About 30 years ago my dad managed to run a saw across his left wrist
when it jumped out of the wood. Rather than heading for A&E he got my
brother to hold things while he sewed himself up one handed.

He was one of the old school GPs, and having trained in surgery he was
quite happy to d-i-y it (and had the sewing materials to hand).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Outside, cutting a piece of 2x1 with a handsaw. Finished cutting wood and
decided to cut hand!

(Not quite sure what happened - I had finished the actual sawing. Maybe
the blade got caught in the sawcut and sprang out across my hand? Right
through fairly stout fabric gloves. Deep cut just below first finger of
left hand.)

Blood, blood and a bit more blood. Wrapped up hand in bandage and drove to
A&E. (Minor unjuries unit, actually - real A&E too far away for me to have
driven.) Apart from no parking places - which is difficult when hand is
painful and bleeding everywhere - seen to, x-rayed and sewn up quite
quickly.

Wearing a sling and waiting for pain to cut in when local wears off. :-(

--
Rod

onset.

OUCH, I've done that. I also smashed an old yoilet, slipped and sliced
through
my hand. Another time I was cutting a pipe behind a sink and slipped before
cutting through the top of my thumb!
Casualty departments get busy around Bank Holidays usually.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Newman" wrote in message
Rod wrote:
[...]

I saw one programme on TV were a man was using a sort of circular
saw to cut wood. He brought it down as he turned to answer his mate
and nearly cut his hand off. It was a right mess, they walked him to the
ambulance with the saw!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Jim Newman wrote:
Rod wrote:
[...]

I did think of superglue! (Apparently the breakdown products of
cyanoacrylates can be rather unpleasant.)

But actually partner was glad to see me leave and not to see any more
blood... :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod writes:
I did think of superglue! (Apparently the breakdown products of
cyanoacrylates can be rather unpleasant.)

Much of the later development of superglue came from the Americans
wanting something faster than stitching for repairing wounds during
the Vietnam war, for which they used superglue. It's commonly used
in hospitals now, although sterile tubes of it cost much more than
what you pay in WHSmiths. I don't know what factors are used to
decide between stitching, superglue, or plaster/steristrips on a
case by case basis. My brother had his hand superglued back together
some years ago in A&E after cutting it (I can't remember if that was
when he came off his bike, or when he got a nasty cut on some broken
glass).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Outside, cutting a piece of 2x1 with a handsaw. Finished cutting wood
and decided to cut hand!

(Not quite sure what happened - I had finished the actual sawing.
Maybe the blade got caught in the sawcut and sprang out across my
hand? Right through fairly stout fabric gloves. Deep cut just below
first finger of left hand.)

Blood, blood and a bit more blood. Wrapped up hand in bandage and
drove to A&E. (Minor unjuries unit, actually - real A&E too far away
for me to have driven.) Apart from no parking places - which is
difficult when hand is painful and bleeding everywhere - seen to,
x-rayed and sewn up quite quickly.

Wearing a sling and waiting for pain to cut in when local wears off.
:-(

I've had 5 stictches in my wrist due to a new stanley blade cutting through
some plastic rather quicker than I was expecting.

5 in my finger, lengthwise from palm to middle knuckle due to broken glass
(a swift and painful infection ensued from this one, which bizzarely,
affected my right shin and it took 4 X 28 day courses of anti-b's to shift
it)

4 stiches in my head, in the shape of a letter Y, due to falling off a roof
and cracking it on the corner of a skip.

4 in my chin, which came out when I shaved the same night.

The front of my nose removed on two occasions, once due to an unseen rock
underwater in Zakynthos.

Black fingernails surgically removed 3 times: 1) cast iron manhole cover,
2) steel framed window, 3) hammer.
and once accidentally with a 230mm diamond disk.

I've fell from 3 storey ladders twice, two storey ladders about half a dozen
times and off single storey buildings (extensions, sheds, carports etc) more
times than I can remember, most times i was fairly uninjured exept for the
time I fell off a single storey ladder, only about 7 ft off the ground but
landed in a rose bush/thing which was growing up the wall...about 200
different scratches and every one of them went septic.

cuts nowadays I don't even bother going to A&E with, unless it won't stop
bleeding or it obviously needs more than one or two stitches.

I stay away from saws as much as possible.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Sep, 22:14, "Phil L" wrote:
Rod wrote:
[...]

Gee whizz, you lot frighten me. I climb, sail, done a major house
rebuild, have extended my garage and am building a new workshop at the
moment .... and in 50 years of doing all this (climbing started at
16), I've fallen off a rock face twice - once in Spain, once in Turkey
- and lost a thumb nail once to a hammer.

Either I'm a bloody sight more careful than you lot, or I'm going to
have an extremely unpleasant last few years catching up with you lot
if you represent the average.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

robgraham wrote:
On 29 Sep, 22:14, "Phil L" wrote:
Rod wrote:
[...]

I think Phil has given me a tough target there!

But today reminded me of the four stitches in the palm of my right hand,
done about 25 years ago, needed by my hitting a scored ceramic tile in
an attempt to make it break. Hint: Those small Japanese tiles are
*extremely* tough and, when they do eventually break, are very sharp.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Ian
scribeth thus

"Jim Newman" wrote in message
Rod wrote:
[...]

Just before the elfin saftee act came in my dad went to adjust the
height of the blade on an industrial strength circular saw..

Bought his hand up from under it less two fingers and another finger and
thumb hanging off..

Despite his protestations the bloke he was with insisted on finishing
his tea and fag before trying to get the van started to take him to
hospital;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Rod wrote:

I've fell from 3 storey ladders twice, two storey ladders about half a dozen
times and off single storey buildings (extensions, sheds, carports etc) more
times than I can remember, most times i was fairly uninjured exept for the
time I fell off a single storey ladder, only about 7 ft off the ground but
landed in a rose bush/thing which was growing up the wall...about 200
different scratches and every one of them went septic.

I stay away from saws as much as possible.

I think maybe you should consider staying away from ladders too...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Sep, 09:09, wrote:

Fell off a galvanised iron shed roof when I was young with mate.
* * We were painting it with Army surplus brown and both trod on a wet
bit and slipped off.
It was a fine summer day and we were only wearing shorts and
plimsoles. *Our fall was broken by nettles and brambles *but in our
descent we dislodged the paint kettle which fell on us and the paint
drum which bumped the adjoining beehive. Most bees were out but enough
were still around to make life uncomfortable but by a stroke of good
luck there was a swimming pool 30 yards away belonging to a school so
a leap over the hedge saw us in it.
God knows what the caretaker *thought when he found the remnants of
the paint in the filter system.

Cycled home covered with stings both Nettle and Bee, lacerations,
bruised head and a complexion like an army truck.

Parents were both upset, mother because she thought I might die, Dad
being more realistic was calculating how much Swarfega etc was needed
to get the paint off.

G.Harman

I know I shouldn't say this but I've just hurt myself by laughing too
much.