Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric Help

I have discovered a situation in my house as follows. A cable goes down
from the ceiling to a switch which then goes to a double socket and on
to another switch which then goes back up to my sons bedroom

Cable down - switch (A) across - double socket across - switch (B) up
- bedroom

No idea why this has been done but I don't want to lift the recently
laid laminate in my sons bedroom to do it properly. That's a job for the
future. Anyway. I want to hide switch B in the wall so I can put
something flush against the wall. I could just dig deeper into the wall
and put a socket flush against it which may be okay (it would at least
duplicate the current situation with no cable changes but is there
something better I can use which would fit flush to the wall. All I need
is something to join two cables together.

Thanks
--
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 18:39:16 +0100, John
wrote:

[...]

Is this cable in a lighting circuit or a power circuit? . If the
lighting circuit then I'd imagine the socket is something you need to
attend to firstly. What do the switches control?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

[...]

Buried connections should be crimped or soldered, not just screwed.

It would be best to find out which fuse/mcb this lot is on as well,
whether its 5/6A or 30/32.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I have discovered a situation in my house as follows. A cable goes down
from the ceiling to a switch which then goes to a double socket and on
to another switch which then goes back up to my sons bedroom

What do these switches control? are you sure they are switches and not
switched fused connection units that are feeding power to an appliance
or perhaps another fused spur?

Cable down - switch (A) across - double socket across - switch (B) up
- bedroom

No idea why this has been done but I don't want to lift the recently
laid laminate in my sons bedroom to do it properly. That's a job for the
future. Anyway. I want to hide switch B in the wall so I can put
something flush against the wall. I could just dig deeper into the wall
and put a socket flush against it which may be okay (it would at least

Are these surface mounted then? I would have thought a switch and a
socket would sit almost equally proud of the wall surface.

duplicate the current situation with no cable changes but is there
something better I can use which would fit flush to the wall. All I need
is something to join two cables together.

We need more information (and piccies) before we can answer that safely.
What you have at present (depending on exact circumstances) may be
potentially quite dangerous.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I have discovered a situation in my house as follows. A cable goes down
from the ceiling to a switch which then goes to a double socket and on
to another switch which then goes back up to my sons bedroom

Cable down - switch (A) across - double socket across - switch (B) up
- bedroom

No idea why this has been done but I don't want to lift the recently
laid laminate in my sons bedroom to do it properly. That's a job for the
future. Anyway. I want to hide switch B in the wall so I can put
something flush against the wall. I could just dig deeper into the wall
and put a socket flush against it which may be okay (it would at least
duplicate the current situation with no cable changes but is there
something better I can use which would fit flush to the wall. All I need
is something to join two cables together.

More info

It's basically one cable on a 30A main fuse in the box - power circuit.
The cable just goes into the first switch. Then connects across to the
double socket then to the second switch and finally up to the bedroom.
The house is 20 years old and it's a nightmare of bad things.

Switch A goes down to a socket and controls that.
--
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Been surfing and what I have can be defined perfectly as a radial
circuit - http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/radialcircuit.htm

I don't think it's dangerous. Badly done maybe as I'd have thought you'd
want all the sockets at least on the same floor, but not dangerous.
--
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:22:44 +0100, John
wrote:

John wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Yes .it's sort of like a Radial Circuit but not usually with switches
on it . So it goes from the Consumer unit to a switch ( which has a
socket coming off it ) then from the switch to another socket then to
a second switch then up to the bedroom

What sort of switches are they ...not lighting switches I hope ....why
does the first socket need a switch to control it ( or is it an
unswitched socket?) and when it gets to the bedroom what happens there
...what is the arrangement there ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

John wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Maybe switch is the wrong word. I'm not that au-fait with electrics.
Sorry if I'm not making myself clear. They are fused switches with a
cable leading off to a socket below. The switch just controls the
socket. The bedroom is a normal plug.

So we have...

radial circuit

Fuse box - switch A - Double Socket - Switch B - Bedroom socket
below controls - socket controls - socket
--
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

John wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Didn't mean to press send then. What I did was disconnect Switch B as I
thought it stopped there just going down to the socket. Obviously then
the socket in the bedroom didn't work as my son found out when he tried
to listen to his CD player tonight (silver lining maybe...) so I need to
put it back to roughly what it was but with Switch B unused and hidden
flush to the wall.
--
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
wrote:

John wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Do the switched look like this one?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/P...ze_3/BG950.JPG

or more like this one
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/P.../TEMPBG911.JPG

If you turn off switch A, does it turn of the furthest socket in the bedroom
too?

Are they surface mounted, with a box like this behind them?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/P...ze_3/BG901.JPG

Or just flush with the wall like a normal light switch is?

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

It's basically one cable on a 30A main fuse in the box - power
circuit. The cable just goes into the first switch. Then connects
across to the double socket then to the second switch and finally up
to the bedroom. The house is 20 years old and it's a nightmare of bad
things.

Switch A goes down to a socket and controls that.

Been surfing and what I have can be defined perfectly as a radial
circuit - http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/radialcircuit.htm

So reading between the lines, do we have:

|| ||
|| ||
|| ||
|| ||
|| ||
|| ||
|| ----- ||
==========##==========| sk2 |==========##=======
S1 ----- S2
|| ||
|| ||
|| ||
|| ||
|| ||
------ ------
| sk1 | | sk3 |
------ ------

Where the cable feeds straight through switches 1 and 2 with a socket
connected in the middle. Operating the switches turns on or off sk1 and
sk3, but has no effect on sk2 which always works?

If that is the case, then the design is ok, as long as the cable is
rated for the full circuit design current. This would suggest it will be
4mm^2 cable or larger:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...es#Cable_Sizes

gives an outer sheath size of 6.1 x 11.4 mm. Does this tally with what
you have?

Now if the socket in the bedroom does not work you need to trace your
way back. Does sk3 work when switched on? If so the fault lies somewhere
between S2 and the bedrooms socket. Start by checking the connections at
both.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:

"John" wrote in message
wrote:

John wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Yes - exactly

or more like this one
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/P.../TEMPBG911.JPG

If you turn off switch A, does it turn of the furthest socket in the
bedroom too?

no - no effect at all

Are they surface mounted, with a box like this behind them?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/P...ze_3/BG901.JPG

Or just flush with the wall like a normal light switch is?

flush to the wall with a metal box behind
--
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

Thanks - I get a little worried last night so I did some playing. I made
sure there was no power at all going through the socket in my sons room
and connected a torch bulb up to the cables coming out. I then stuck a
battery on the bottom of the cable downstairs and, lo and behold, the
light came on, if a little dimly. I just need to reconnect it all and
then leave it all alone.

I hate electrics.
--
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

Well now you are near to having it figured out, you may as well carry on
and get it the way you need.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
John wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

True - it seems almost sorted. By the way, the diagram you've drawn out
is exactly right. The only difference in the end will be that S2 will no
longer be connected to SK3 which has already been removed.

What has amazed me (and it really shouldn't having been DIYing for
years) is how much longer this has taken than the original estimate. An
hour or two turned into the whole weekend especially when all the to-ing
and fro-ing to DIY shops is taken into account.
--
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Well now you are near to having it figured out, you may as well carry
on and get it the way you need.

True - it seems almost sorted. By the way, the diagram you've drawn out
is exactly right. The only difference in the end will be that S2 will no
longer be connected to SK3 which has already been removed.

What has amazed me (and it really shouldn't having been DIYing for
years) is how much longer this has taken than the original estimate. An
hour or two turned into the whole weekend especially when all the to-ing
and fro-ing to DIY shops is taken into account.

So returning to your question now, I take it you want to remove S2?

Two ways spring to mind: Blanking plate and a choccie block connector,
or mend the cable with crimps and heatshrink so you can plaster over the
join [1].

Only do the latter if the cable follows the rules about cable positions
- i.e. it is inline with a visible accessory of some sort.

[1] http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Cable_crimping

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

If I plaster over it then it will become invisble until some idiot (me)
drills into it so I'm digging deeper into the wall, placing the socket
flush to the wall (not on the wall, but slightly beneath it so I can put
the cupboard up) and visible with huge great pen marks saying "Live
Cable here". When I move the cupboard in a few years time and find that
I Might even remember there's a cable there then :-)
--
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:48:08 +0100, John
wrote:

If I plaster over it then it will become invisble until some idiot (me)
drills into it so I'm digging deeper into the wall, placing the socket
flush to the wall (not on the wall, but slightly beneath it so I can put
the cupboard up) and visible with huge great pen marks saying "Live
Cable here". When I move the cupboard in a few years time and find that
I Might even remember there's a cable there then :-)

I think that anyone who drills into a wall without checking for
cables, pipes or whatever underneath deserves all they get...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If I plaster over it then it will become invisble until some idiot (me)
drills into it so I'm digging deeper into the wall, placing the socket
flush to the wall (not on the wall, but slightly beneath it so I can put
the cupboard up) and visible with huge great pen marks saying "Live
Cable here". When I move the cupboard in a few years time and find that
I Might even remember there's a cable there then :-)

I think that anyone who drills into a wall without checking for
cables, pipes or whatever underneath deserves all they get...

If people actually put the pipes/cables in the format they're meant to
then the problem wouldn't arise.
--
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

Hence my comment about this only being acceptable if the cable is in one
of the "expected" places (in line with an accessory, or no more than
150mm from a corner or wall to ceiling junction).

flush to the wall (not on the wall, but slightly beneath it so I can put
the cupboard up) and visible with huge great pen marks saying "Live
Cable here". When I move the cupboard in a few years time and find that
I Might even remember there's a cable there then :-)

That ought to do it ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.