Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting a kitchen

When you folks fit kitchens do you bother about hidden bits of wall etc?
I've just fitted ours and if/when we sell the property and the new owner
rips out the kitchen for a makeover, they'll think a bomb landed on the
place. E.g, a new larder unit now hides a door which housed a blown-air
heating unit, a strip of sockets under the wall units now hides the old
kitchen light switch, the fridge/freezer now hides an un-plasterboarded
piece of wall, the upstand on the sink unit hides part-missing wall tiles
etc etc. It looks fine but if ever ripped out would look diabolical.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
When you folks fit kitchens do you bother about hidden bits of wall etc?
I've just fitted ours and if/when we sell the property and the new owner
rips out the kitchen for a makeover, they'll think a bomb landed on the
place. E.g, a new larder unit now hides a door which housed a blown-air
heating unit, a strip of sockets under the wall units now hides the old
kitchen light switch, the fridge/freezer now hides an un-plasterboarded
piece of wall, the upstand on the sink unit hides part-missing wall tiles
etc etc. It looks fine but if ever ripped out would look diabolical.

Most posh looking kitchens hide all sorts of old crud when you peel back
the top layer!

(not sure sure about using an appliance to hide missing plasterboard,
just in case you need to replace and the new one is a different size!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
fred wrote:
When you folks fit kitchens do you bother about hidden bits of wall etc?
I've just fitted ours and if/when we sell the property and the new owner
rips out the kitchen for a makeover, they'll think a bomb landed on the
place. E.g, a new larder unit now hides a door which housed a blown-air
heating unit, a strip of sockets under the wall units now hides the old
kitchen light switch, the fridge/freezer now hides an un-plasterboarded
piece of wall, the upstand on the sink unit hides part-missing wall tiles
etc etc. It looks fine but if ever ripped out would look diabolical.

Most posh looking kitchens hide all sorts of old crud when you peel back
the top layer!

(not sure sure about using an appliance to hide missing plasterboard,
just in case you need to replace and the new one is a different size!)

Agree - that one would make me cringe. The others are quite normal.

Having said that, the last kitchen I did went right back to the brickwork
in places, all services stripped out and replaced, and the whole thing
was plastered before the kitchen installed, so anyone ripping it out
might be in for a pleasent surpise.

The people I bought the house from originally told me that when they
came to move in to what they thought was a reasonably furnished house,
they found the previous occupants hadn't decorated behind the non-fitted
wardrobe and other bedroom furniture they'd taken with them, and hadn't
carpeted under any of it or the bed! Came as quite a shock on walking in.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
Most posh looking kitchens hide all sorts of old crud when you peel
back the top layer!

My favourite was when I removed a cupboard and found a neatly drilled
hole in the plastered wall with blackened flash marks around it with a
penciled note beside it saying "live". No attempt had been made to
repair it. A ring main was no longer a ring!

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
When you folks fit kitchens do you bother about hidden bits of wall etc?
I've just fitted ours and if/when we sell the property and the new owner
rips out the kitchen for a makeover, they'll think a bomb landed on the
place. E.g, a new larder unit now hides a door which housed a blown-air
heating unit, a strip of sockets under the wall units now hides the old
kitchen light switch, the fridge/freezer now hides an un-plasterboarded
piece of wall, the upstand on the sink unit hides part-missing wall tiles
etc etc. It looks fine but if ever ripped out would look diabolical.

Providing you haven't got any hidden live electrics in any of the above
(light switch? Heating unit?) I would think that's fine.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
When you folks fit kitchens do you bother about hidden bits of wall etc?
I've just fitted ours and if/when we sell the property and the new owner
rips out the kitchen for a makeover, they'll think a bomb landed on the
place. E.g, a new larder unit now hides a door which housed a blown-air
heating unit, a strip of sockets under the wall units now hides the old
kitchen light switch, the fridge/freezer now hides an un-plasterboarded
piece of wall, the upstand on the sink unit hides part-missing wall tiles
etc etc. It looks fine but if ever ripped out would look diabolical.

IME a ripped out kitchen looks diabolical anyway.

Fitting kitchen plinth [email protected] UK diy 7 February 15th 08 06:24 PM
Kitchen Fitting Charles Middleton UK diy 16 January 4th 06 07:24 PM
Kitchen base unit fitting Gogs UK diy 4 December 16th 05 05:59 PM
Kitchen fitting Sky's Dad UK diy 2 October 29th 04 09:36 PM
Fitting a kitchen nemofish UK diy 1 August 20th 04 01:14 PM