Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default My doors are sticking

In the last month, four of my doors have started sticking. I look
down the outside edge and see one area contacting the door frame. Do I
plane it downn or adjust the hinges somehow?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 03:44:31 -0700 (PDT), goodolpete
wrote:

In the last month, four of my doors have started sticking. I look
down the outside edge and see one area contacting the door frame. Do I
plane it downn or adjust the hinges somehow?

Our doors are doing the same. It's the high humidity we've experienced
recently is my guess. I'm just leaving it until the central heating
has to come on and see if the dryer atmosphere normalises them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In the last month, four of my doors have started sticking. I look
down the outside edge and see one area contacting the door frame. Do I
plane it downn or adjust the hinges somehow?

Our doors are doing the same. It's the high humidity we've experienced
recently is my guess. I'm just leaving it until the central heating
has to come on and see if the dryer atmosphere normalises them.

Oddly, it's the worst I've ever known it in the last few months. My solid
wood front door has always had a tendency to stick at times. You could see
clearly where this occured from the paint scuff down the edge. When it's not
sticking, it's pretty much ok, so I've always just lived with sometimes
having to give it a hard tug. However, over the last few weeks, it got so
consistently bad, that at times, I was having to repeatedly kick the frame
whilst pulling on it, to get it open at all. Finally, I took the belt sander
to the edge, and took it down until it was just clear. It was fine for a
week, but just in the last couple of days, it has started rubbing again off
and on. Curious ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Sep, 12:44, goodolpete wrote:
In the last month, *four of my doors have started sticking. I look
down the outside edge and see one area contacting the door frame. Do I
plane it downn or adjust the hinges somehow?

Before doing anything more energetic, try the old trick of rubbing a
candle over the places where it's sticking.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Arfa Daily" contains these words:

wrote:

[...]

Wet weather on and on. Wet getting into the end grain of the style.