Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Calculating your carbon footprint - a load of ********

Has anyone else filled in one of these besides me?

I just tried out http://actonco2.direct.gov.uk/carboncalc/html/index.aspx

My report said

1) My home, for heating and hot water is 20% below the national average. And
so it should be. My house is well insulated and I do not like it too warm.

2) My appliances create 2 times the national average of CO2 (I doubt that. I
have no TV, one computer on 24/7, CCTV on 24/7 and I use the washing
machine, dishwasher, cooker when needed)

3) my travel footprint is 3 times the national average. I also doubt that.

The action plan Action CO2 gave me is crap.

a) fit draught-proofing around doors and window.

Why? All my exterior doors and windows are double-glazed.

b) Install underfloor insulation

Nice, but I have concrete floors. ActionCO2 never asked about my floors
before suggesting that.

c) Replace your fridge and freezer with a more efficient model

Will that help?

My fridge is 3 years old and is A rated, my freezer is a little older, maybe
6 years old. It is second hand (my Grandad gave it to me) and I think it is
B rated. Will rushing out to but a new A+++ rated freezer save on CO2
emissions. I cannot see the total CO2 emissions on the manufacture of a new
freezer plus the CO2 costs of disposing of the old recycled freezer will
have a pay back of less than 10 years.

d) In dry weather use an outside line rather than your dyer

I did tick the box that said I did that already. I tend to use the drier
when it is raining, but then only when needed eg I wash all my work clothes
in one wash on a Friday night. 5 Tshirts or jumpers and 3 pairs of trousers.
If I need a pair of work clothes for Saturday morning I might need the
dryer. Even then I only dry one pair in it.

e) When replacing the car (van in my case) consider choosing the lowest CO2
model in its category

Yes but a 1.7D van is almost certainly a 1.7D van. There is not much to
choose from.

f) Whenever possible, walk, bike, car share, or use public transport

I do walk to the local shops if just for fags or beer etc. Even better is
the short cut. If I enter the Kings Head by the side door and leave via the
front door I save 20 metres by cutting a corner out. It takes a little
longer timewise but it is worth it. I do drive to do the weekly shop even
though the local supermarket is less than a mile away. Who can pick up a
full weekly shopping basket with just two arms? Diet coke and cat food are
rather bulky.

I cannot use public transport to get to work and back as I have a large
collection of tools, cables etc that I need for work. I think the bus driver
would complain if it took me 20 minutes to get on board the bus. And buses
do not have roof bars for my ladders.

So all in all, Action CO2 calculator is a pile of crap IMHO.

Adam