Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Securing Bath Taps

I have just spent ages replacing my bath taps ...I got the one tap
fitted ok and all looks good so far .It seems secure and turning the
water on and off does not make the tap move .. The other tap,which is
the furthest from the outside of the bath is proving a different
matter . Obviously it is trickier getting one hand on the tap to keep
it straight and another on the spanner underneath . Firstly the
rubber washer under the tap kept moving around so when the backnut was
tightened it was out of place so I took the tap off and put Fernox
LS-X on the underside of the washer and put it in place and left it
for a while ( but probably not long enough) and tried again ...Now the
rubber washer is all squashed up and stick out from under the tap
around the back so I'll need to start again .

The old taps had harder nylon(?) washers and I'm wondering if I might
be better using them instead .

Any thoughts . ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 23:33:48 +0100, NOSPAMnet wrote:

I have just spent ages replacing my bath taps ...I got the one tap
fitted ok and all looks good so far .It seems secure and turning the
water on and off does not make the tap move .. The other tap,which is
the furthest from the outside of the bath is proving a different
matter

I usually discard the various washers supplied with taps! My current
method is to use Toolstation's Stixall to seal/glue the taps to whatever,
and to avoid like the plague single taps on baths unless they have a very
light ceramic disc action. Mixer taps don't twist!

--
John Stumbles

Blamestorming
Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed
or a project failed, and who was responsible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:46:09 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 23:33:48 +0100, NOSPAMnet wrote:

I have just spent ages replacing my bath taps ...I got the one tap
fitted ok and all looks good so far .It seems secure and turning the
water on and off does not make the tap move .. The other tap,which is
the furthest from the outside of the bath is proving a different
matter

I usually discard the various washers supplied with taps! My current
method is to use Toolstation's Stixall to seal/glue the taps to whatever,
and to avoid like the plague single taps on baths unless they have a very
light ceramic disc action. Mixer taps don't twist!

That's true ..I'll try dumping the rubber washers first and try the
nylon ones but ..If this fails I'll get a set ..Just as well I drilled
the holes at the right distance when I got the bath ..lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 23:33:48 +0100, NOSPAMnet wrote:

I have just spent ages replacing my bath taps ...I got the one tap
fitted ok and all looks good so far .It seems secure and turning the
water on and off does not make the tap move .. The other tap,which is
the furthest from the outside of the bath is proving a different
matter

I usually discard the various washers supplied with taps! My current
method is to use Toolstation's Stixall to seal/glue the taps to whatever,
and to avoid like the plague single taps on baths unless they have a very
light ceramic disc action. Mixer taps don't twist!

Went to screwfix today and on my list was a basin wrench but they were
out of stock .Went round the corner to Toolstation to get Stixall and
a basin wrench but what did I spy in the catalogue but a Box Spanner
for Bath and Basin back nuts and that should do the job nicely ..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:30:33 +0100, NOSPAMnet wrote:

Went to screwfix today and on my list was a basin wrench but they were
out of stock .Went round the corner to Toolstation to get Stixall and
a basin wrench but what did I spy in the catalogue but a Box Spanner
for Bath and Basin back nuts and that should do the job nicely ..

Yes, or you can get individual box spanners in a range of sizes from Drews
(which is what I did before either Screwfix or Toolstation were he
I'm guessing we're talking about the same town ;-))

Can't remember what sizes I've got but I have one which fits bath tap
backnuts and larger (e.g. plastic) basin ones, and another which fits
various basin and 15mm compression nuts. The bigger one doubles as tool to
hold tap spouts steady while twisting the connection underneath with the
other.

--
YAPH http://yaph.co.uk

What do you mean, talking about it isn't oral sex?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 20:18:43 GMT, YAPH wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:30:33 +0100, NOSPAMnet wrote:

Went to screwfix today and on my list was a basin wrench but they were
out of stock .Went round the corner to Toolstation to get Stixall and
a basin wrench but what did I spy in the catalogue but a Box Spanner
for Bath and Basin back nuts and that should do the job nicely ..

Yes, or you can get individual box spanners in a range of sizes from Drews
(which is what I did before either Screwfix or Toolstation were he
I'm guessing we're talking about the same town ;-))

Only if it's Glasgow ..

Can't remember what sizes I've got but I have one which fits bath tap
backnuts and larger (e.g. plastic) basin ones, and another which fits
various basin and 15mm compression nuts. The bigger one doubles as tool to
hold tap spouts steady while twisting the connection underneath with the
other.

The last one sounds quite useful...How does that work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 21:34:21 +0100, NOSPAMnet wrote:

I'm guessing we're talking about the same town ;-))

Only if it's Glasgow ..

Oops, no - Reading here also has a Toolstation practically next door to
Screwfix.

The bigger one doubles as tool to
hold tap spouts steady while twisting the connection underneath with the
other.

The last one sounds quite useful...How does that work?

Just use it as a tube, stick it over spout of tap to hold it steady so it
doesn't twist when turning the nut underneath.

--
John Stumbles

Things don't like being anthropomorphised.

Bath taps from Lidl. Weatherlawyer UK diy 47 August 5th 07 01:21 AM
Freestanding bath taps Fuoleum UK diy 4 July 14th 06 01:37 AM
Removing bath taps, how!? [email protected] UK diy 16 December 6th 04 09:53 AM
Old bath taps Mary Fisher UK diy 14 December 11th 03 10:35 PM