Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are my wallsl cavity insualted?

I would I find out?
Was it made a legal requirement after a certain year?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bazzer Smith wrote:
I would I find out?

There are different ways you can check to see if it's been filled.
Firstly, was it built with insulation? - if it's less than 20 years old, the
chances are it's already filled.
If it's older then it may have been filled after being built.
The first thing to check is for a pattern of holes (now repointed) on the
brickwork outside and the easiest way to do this is to look underneath the
windows....if it's been done with mineral wool, there will be three distinct
marks where 25mm holes have been drilled, these are 3 or 4 courses down from
the bottom of the window frame and 3 or 4 bricks apart, IE about 30 inches,
they will be at the bottom of an upright joint, these will be under each
window in the house.
If you have a gable wall and you can stand back to look at it, you will see
the first row of holes at 9 bricks up from the DPC and every fifteen courses
after that all the way to the top in a diamond pattern - these holes are
five bricks apart in length, there's a small diagram
hehttp://i34.tinypic.com/6jmrrp.jpg

Also, if there is no visible pattern, it still may be done, and you can
drill a hole straight through a joint in the brickwork and poke a sharp wire
(coathanger type stuff) into the cavity, if it comes out with little fibres
on it, it's insulated...wet the wire first.

Was it made a legal requirement after a certain year?

no, only for newly built properties, not those already built.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:17:05 +0100, "Bazzer Smith"
wrote:

I would I find out?

Remove a brick and look.

Go in the roof and try to look down the cavity to see. Sometimes the
crap leaks out of holes and is visible in odd spots. Mine's white and
easy to spot.

Was it made a legal requirement after a certain year?

No.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
Bazzer Smith wrote:
I would I find out?

There are different ways you can check to see if it's been filled.
Firstly, was it built with insulation? - if it's less than 20 years old,
the chances are it's already filled.

It's about 23 years old I think.

If it's older then it may have been filled after being built.
The first thing to check is for a pattern of holes (now repointed) on the
brickwork outside and the easiest way to do this is to look underneath the
windows....if it's been done with mineral wool, there will be three
distinct marks where 25mm holes have been drilled, these are 3 or 4
courses down from the bottom of the window frame and 3 or 4 bricks apart,
IE about 30 inches, they will be at the bottom of an upright joint, these
will be under each window in the house.

Thanks, I will have a look however I have never noticed anything before
but then I have not specifically looked for them.

I did notice some marks but these were in the cement between the
bricks, on the short vertical piece of cement but they were like
slots or like they were not filled out with cement as the other verical
bits. I assumed they were for scafolding was attachedwhen it was
built.

I saw these on a wall which is triangular at the top so I guess thats
a gabled wall you describe below. I wlll have to have a better
look when there is more light.

If you have a gable wall and you can stand back to look at it, you will
see the first row of holes at 9 bricks up from the DPC and every fifteen
courses after that all the way to the top in a diamond pattern - these
holes are five bricks apart in length, there's a small diagram
hehttp://i34.tinypic.com/6jmrrp.jpg

Also, if there is no visible pattern, it still may be done, and you can
drill a hole straight through a joint in the brickwork and poke a sharp
wire (coathanger type stuff) into the cavity, if it comes out with little
fibres on it, it's insulated...wet the wire first.

Was it made a legal requirement after a certain year?

no, only for newly built properties, not those already built.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I would I find out?

Remove a brick and look.

Go in the roof and try to look down the cavity to see. Sometimes the
crap leaks out of holes and is visible in odd spots. Mine's white and
easy to spot.

I will giive it a go I have never looked before.

Was it made a legal requirement after a certain year?

No.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bazzer Smith wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
Bazzer Smith wrote:
I would I find out?

There are different ways you can check to see if it's been filled.
Firstly, was it built with insulation? - if it's less than 20 years
old, the chances are it's already filled.

It's about 23 years old I think.

In that case, it's almost certain that it was insulated during construction
(and there won't be any pattern), although there are exceptions.

[...]

These are weep holes for moisture to escape and are built into the
brickwork, usually at steel lintels or cavity trays.
The holes I'm talking about are 25mm in diameter and are at the botom of the
T, IE where the bottom corners of two bricks meet.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Cavity trays - what's that all about? Lobster UK diy 21 November 27th 07 07:34 PM
Cavity wall Jim Scott UK diy 17 March 14th 06 09:15 PM
Closing the cavity freddyuk UK diy 1 January 31st 06 12:12 PM
Cavity ventilation Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) UK diy 3 June 24th 05 10:02 AM
thermabate cavity closers vs weatherbate cavity closers tom patton UK diy 0 April 10th 05 10:59 AM