Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pleased with a success

The Freeview box in the kitchen wasn't responding to the remote control.

First step was to fit new batteries in the remote - but no change. Pondered
on how to check if it was working and recalled that a digital camera. can
see an infra red control. Got out the camera and pressed a few buttons - and
it appeared to be working - but it was also flashing most of the time.

I took it apart and found it was wet inside. Dried it and now it works.
Obviously it was sending out confusing signals. No-one owning up to wetting
it yet - but I have saved £20 on a new box - which may have ended up as a
new LCD TV with built in Freeview.

The world is a little greener for avoiding a purchase.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
The Freeview box in the kitchen wasn't responding to the remote
control.
First step was to fit new batteries in the remote - but no change.
Pondered on how to check if it was working and recalled that a
digital camera. can see an infra red control. Got out the camera and
pressed a few buttons - and it appeared to be working - but it was
also flashing most of the time.
I took it apart and found it was wet inside. Dried it and now it
works. Obviously it was sending out confusing signals. No-one owning
up to wetting it yet - but I have saved £20 on a new box - which may
have ended up as a new LCD TV with built in Freeview.

The world is a little greener for avoiding a purchase.

And your wallet a little plumper :-)

Well done that man. BTW, no one will ever admit to wetting it, these things
do it all by themselves.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
The Freeview box in the kitchen wasn't responding to the remote control.

First step was to fit new batteries in the remote - but no change.
Pondered on how to check if it was working and recalled that a digital
camera. can see an infra red control. Got out the camera and pressed a few
buttons - and it appeared to be working - but it was also flashing most of
the time.

I took it apart and found it was wet inside. Dried it and now it works.
Obviously it was sending out confusing signals. No-one owning up to
wetting it yet - but I have saved £20 on a new box - which may have ended
up as a new LCD TV with built in Freeview.

The world is a little greener for avoiding a purchase.

Well done.

Er - why do you need one in the first place?

:-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"John" wrote in message
The Freeview box in the kitchen wasn't responding to the remote control.

First step was to fit new batteries in the remote - but no change.
Pondered on how to check if it was working and recalled that a digital
camera. can see an infra red control. Got out the camera and pressed a
few buttons - and it appeared to be working - but it was also flashing
most of the time.

I took it apart and found it was wet inside. Dried it and now it works.
Obviously it was sending out confusing signals. No-one owning up to
wetting it yet - but I have saved £20 on a new box - which may have ended
up as a new LCD TV with built in Freeview.

The world is a little greener for avoiding a purchase.

Well done.

Er - why do you need one in the first place?

:-)

Get back in your cave. 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 21:03:03 +0100, "John" wrote:

No-one owning up to wetting it yet

Dogs just look innocent and cats change the subject...

Geo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 9, 8:03 am, "John" wrote:
The Freeview box in the kitchen wasn't responding to the remote control.

First step was to fit new batteries in the remote - but no change. Pondered
on how to check if it was working and recalled that a digital camera. can
see an infra red control.

You can also test a remote control by tuning a radio off-station (AM
is best) and holding the remote near it and listening for the noise.
My Sky remote has an amazing range. I can point it up the stairwell to
change the channel from downstairs.
Whereas my Sony TV remotes are so feeble I have to walk halfway across
the room before they work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Sep 9, 8:03 am, "John" wrote:
The Freeview box in the kitchen wasn't responding to the remote control.

First step was to fit new batteries in the remote - but no change.
Pondered
on how to check if it was working and recalled that a digital camera. can
see an infra red control.

You can also test a remote control by tuning a radio off-station (AM
is best) and holding the remote near it and listening for the noise.
My Sky remote has an amazing range. I can point it up the stairwell to
change the channel from downstairs.
Whereas my Sony TV remotes are so feeble I have to walk halfway across
the room before they work.

Someone has probably dropped it, it can dislodge the LED so most of the
output is inside the remote.
It happened to one of mine but a quick dismantle and bend the wires had it
working as well as before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 9, 11:47 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

Whereas my Sony TV remotes are so feeble I have to walk halfway across
the room before they work.

Someone has probably dropped it, it can dislodge the LED so most of the
output is inside the remote.
It happened to one of mine but a quick dismantle and bend the wires had it
working as well as before.

I have two Sony TVs and remotes, and both remotes go about 3 metres
max.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

You can also test a remote control by tuning a radio off-station (AM
is best) and holding the remote near it and listening for the noise.
My Sky remote has an amazing range. I can point it up the stairwell to
change the channel from downstairs.
Whereas my Sony TV remotes are so feeble I have to walk halfway across
the room before they work.

Quite some time ago, i was asked by my son to find out what was wrong
with his car fob. It turned out to be a broken wire, but while I tested
that it was emitting a signal, I got howls of protest that I was locking
and unlocking his car. The car was at the front of the house and I was
at the diagonally opposite corner upstairs. What a range it had, unlike
my 2 cars fobs that only work when I get alongside them.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 10, 3:52 am, Dave wrote:
Matty F wrote:
You can also test a remote control by tuning a radio off-station (AM
is best) and holding the remote near it and listening for the noise.
My Sky remote has an amazing range. I can point it up the stairwell to
change the channel from downstairs.
Whereas my Sony TV remotes are so feeble I have to walk halfway across
the room before they work.

Quite some time ago, i was asked by my son to find out what was wrong
with his car fob. It turned out to be a broken wire, but while I tested
that it was emitting a signal, I got howls of protest that I was locking
and unlocking his car. The car was at the front of the house and I was
at the diagonally opposite corner upstairs. What a range it had, unlike
my 2 cars fobs that only work when I get alongside them.

But the car fob is presumably a radio frequency signal which could go
through walls.
My Sky remote has a little LED on the end, and I can bounce the signal
off several walls or the ceiling to get to the Sky STB.
If the couch is in the way it doesn't work, so it can't be a radio
signal.

success is very near s Metalworking 0 June 4th 08 02:43 PM
Well, I'm pleased with it: cable management idea Peter Scott UK diy 24 October 16th 05 12:40 PM
Success! Dave Jackson Woodworking 1 December 20th 04 07:40 AM
A Little Success Artemia Salina Metalworking 2 September 10th 04 03:47 AM