Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default electronic welding visors

Hello,

I'm new to welding and trying to teach myself but find I just can't get
along with the ordinary visor. I can't see where the world is, let alone
the work. I've removed the lens and hold it before me like industrial
lorgnettes, but sometimes I get it wrong and get a blinding flash.

It would seem that the electronic visors, which darken in a fraction of
a second, would be ideal so I wonder if anyone here uses one and can
confirm how good they are --or not, as the case may be?

Being on a small fixed income, pennies have to be pinched where it's
reasonable to do so. WeldUK have a visor for about £50, Screwfix have
one for £100. Does anyone know anything about either of these? I'd
prefer the cheaper one for obvious reasons.

Many thanks

Brian Mitchell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

brian mitchell wrote:
Hello,

I'm new to welding and trying to teach myself but find I just can't get
along with the ordinary visor. I can't see where the world is, let alone
the work. I've removed the lens and hold it before me like industrial
lorgnettes, but sometimes I get it wrong and get a blinding flash.

It would seem that the electronic visors, which darken in a fraction of
a second, would be ideal so I wonder if anyone here uses one and can
confirm how good they are --or not, as the case may be?

Being on a small fixed income, pennies have to be pinched where it's
reasonable to do so. WeldUK have a visor for about £50, Screwfix have
one for £100. Does anyone know anything about either of these? I'd
prefer the cheaper one for obvious reasons.

Many thanks

Brian Mitchell

Nit used them but I should imagine as all have to pass some sort of
British standard the function should be the same

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

brian mitchell coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hello,

I'm new to welding and trying to teach myself but find I just can't get
along with the ordinary visor. I can't see where the world is, let alone
the work. I've removed the lens and hold it before me like industrial
lorgnettes, but sometimes I get it wrong and get a blinding flash.

It would seem that the electronic visors, which darken in a fraction of
a second, would be ideal so I wonder if anyone here uses one and can
confirm how good they are --or not, as the case may be?

Being on a small fixed income, pennies have to be pinched where it's
reasonable to do so. WeldUK have a visor for about £50, Screwfix have
one for £100. Does anyone know anything about either of these? I'd
prefer the cheaper one for obvious reasons.

Many thanks

Brian Mitchell

Used one a few years ago. It was good and did what it said. Don't think it
was a very expensive one - it was chucked in as part of a MIG deal.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

brian mitchell wrote:
Hello,

I'm new to welding and trying to teach myself but find I just can't
get along with the ordinary visor. I can't see where the world is,
let alone the work. I've removed the lens and hold it before me like
industrial lorgnettes, but sometimes I get it wrong and get a
blinding flash.

It would seem that the electronic visors, which darken in a fraction
of a second, would be ideal so I wonder if anyone here uses one and
can confirm how good they are --or not, as the case may be?

Being on a small fixed income, pennies have to be pinched where it's
reasonable to do so. WeldUK have a visor for about £50, Screwfix have
one for £100. Does anyone know anything about either of these? I'd
prefer the cheaper one for obvious reasons.

I bought one on ebay for about £20-30 recently, it's brilliant!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
brian mitchell wrote:
Hello,

I'm new to welding and trying to teach myself but find I just can't
get along with the ordinary visor. I can't see where the world is,
let alone the work. I've removed the lens and hold it before me like
industrial lorgnettes, but sometimes I get it wrong and get a
blinding flash.

It would seem that the electronic visors, which darken in a fraction
of a second, would be ideal so I wonder if anyone here uses one and
can confirm how good they are --or not, as the case may be?

Being on a small fixed income, pennies have to be pinched where it's
reasonable to do so. WeldUK have a visor for about £50, Screwfix have
one for £100. Does anyone know anything about either of these? I'd
prefer the cheaper one for obvious reasons.

I bought one on ebay for about £20-30 recently, it's brilliant!

I also bought one a few months back for approx £15, again off Fleabay, but
it came from the USA. It was brand new, on auction, and it went for £3 with
£12 p&p ..... it took 4 days to get here in UK. They are really good. The
darkness is adjustable as is the 'sensitivity'. They really help so you can
see the item to be welded while keeping both hands on the torch. Also, they
are solar powered and powered off the flash of the welding. Very well
recommended. Just checked and they are still on there (Ebay).
Brad

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brian mitchell wrote:
Hello,

I'm new to welding and trying to teach myself but find I just can't get
along with the ordinary visor. I can't see where the world is, let alone
the work. I've removed the lens and hold it before me like industrial
lorgnettes, but sometimes I get it wrong and get a blinding flash.

It would seem that the electronic visors, which darken in a fraction of
a second, would be ideal so I wonder if anyone here uses one and can
confirm how good they are --or not, as the case may be?

Being on a small fixed income, pennies have to be pinched where it's
reasonable to do so. WeldUK have a visor for about £50, Screwfix have
one for £100. Does anyone know anything about either of these? I'd
prefer the cheaper one for obvious reasons.

Many thanks

Brian Mitchell

An age-old problem.
Shine a bright light on the work piece.
(a 250w quartz portable floodlight)
That'll help a lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
brian mitchell wrote:
It would seem that the electronic visors, which darken in a fraction of
a second, would be ideal so I wonder if anyone here uses one and can
confirm how good they are --or not, as the case may be?

Only a mediocre welder but IMHO essential. More so when starting out.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , brian mitchell
writes
Being on a small fixed income, pennies have to be pinched where it's
reasonable to do so. WeldUK have a visor for about £50, Screwfix have
one for £100. Does anyone know anything about either of these? I'd
prefer the cheaper one for obvious reasons.

I bought a cheap one from WeldUK. No problems.

Don't forget to peel off the plastic cover.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember brian mitchell
saying something like:

It would seem that the electronic visors, which darken in a fraction of
a second, would be ideal so I wonder if anyone here uses one and can
confirm how good they are --or not, as the case may be?

Being on a small fixed income, pennies have to be pinched where it's
reasonable to do so. WeldUK have a visor for about £50, Screwfix have
one for £100. Does anyone know anything about either of these? I'd
prefer the cheaper one for obvious reasons.

I bought a cheap-ish one a couple of years ago and it's been ok so far.
It's not had much use, to be honest, but it still works fine. It's
utterly brilliant compared to the old way and I'd buy another cheapy one
like a shot - no point in paying hundreds if a cheap one will work
safely and for long enough, especially for occasional use.

--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

An age-old problem.
Shine a bright light on the work piece.
(a 250w quartz portable floodlight)
That'll help a lot.

I have a cheap self darkening one and it's fine. The bright light is also a
very good idea, but you have to be a bit careful with positioning otherwise
it darkens the screen half a second before you make contact!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging replies.

Brian Mitchell