Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default part P

Hello,

I just posted a thread about wondering what would happen to someone
fitting a non-condensing boiler and I got thinking about electrics and
thought the same things apply.

Say you do some DIY rewiring and don't pay the council to check it.
They say you will get in trouble when you move house. So if you never
intend to move, what then? Why should moving make a difference? When I
bought my house I did not ask to see receipts for the all/any work
done. What is to stop people saying they have lost the receipt or that
a particular light switch/socket/etc was fitted before they moved in?

It seems pretty unenforceable to me?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I just posted a thread about wondering what would happen to someone
fitting a non-condensing boiler and I got thinking about electrics and
thought the same things apply.

Say you do some DIY rewiring and don't pay the council to check it.
They say you will get in trouble when you move house. So if you never
intend to move, what then? Why should moving make a difference? When I
bought my house I did not ask to see receipts for the all/any work
done. What is to stop people saying they have lost the receipt or that
a particular light switch/socket/etc was fitted before they moved in?

It seems pretty unenforceable to me?

It's all to stop the domestic houeholder paying cash to tradesmen and them
not putting it through the books.
Why do you think it is ok to do electrical work in commecial buildings
without all the certifing because the tradesman usually gets paid by cheque

Posted to uk.d-i-y

john wrote:

It's all to stop the domestic houeholder paying cash to tradesmen and
them not putting it through the books.
Why do you think it is ok to do electrical work in commecial buildings
without all the certifing because the tradesman usually gets paid by
cheque

Spot on John. Nail, hit, head.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I just posted a thread about wondering what would happen to someone
fitting a non-condensing boiler and I got thinking about electrics and
thought the same things apply.

Say you do some DIY rewiring and don't pay the council to check it.
They say you will get in trouble when you move house. So if you never
intend to move, what then? Why should moving make a difference? When I
bought my house I did not ask to see receipts for the all/any work
done. What is to stop people saying they have lost the receipt or that
a particular light switch/socket/etc was fitted before they moved in?

It seems pretty unenforceable to me?

Cable colours changed from red/black/earth to blue/brown/earth about the
same time as the regs, so 'they' could in theory tell if the cable was
installed before or after part P came in.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I just posted a thread about wondering what would happen to someone
fitting a non-condensing boiler and I got thinking about electrics and
thought the same things apply.

Say you do some DIY rewiring and don't pay the council to check it.
They say you will get in trouble when you move house. So if you never
intend to move, what then? Why should moving make a difference? When I
bought my house I did not ask to see receipts for the all/any work
done. What is to stop people saying they have lost the receipt or that
a particular light switch/socket/etc was fitted before they moved in?

It seems pretty unenforceable to me?

Cable colours changed from red/black/earth to blue/brown/earth about the
same time as the regs, so 'they' could in theory tell if the cable was
installed before or after part P came in.

But not quite enough at the same time to allow them to prove it. The date
printed on the cable it more insidious, like the dates on double-glazed
sealed unit separators.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I just posted a thread about wondering what would happen to someone
fitting a non-condensing boiler and I got thinking about electrics and
thought the same things apply.

Say you do some DIY rewiring and don't pay the council to check it.
They say you will get in trouble when you move house. So if you never
intend to move, what then? Why should moving make a difference? When I
bought my house I did not ask to see receipts for the all/any work
done. What is to stop people saying they have lost the receipt or that
a particular light switch/socket/etc was fitted before they moved in?

It seems pretty unenforceable to me?

Cable colours changed from red/black/earth to blue/brown/earth about the
same time as the regs, so 'they' could in theory tell if the cable was
installed before or after part P came in.

which is why people selling old colour cables on ebay are always able to
sell what they want, apparantly if you can find a supplier of cables to
hospitals it's the old colours too,

i did wonder aboug bodges people would try... using new colour cables, but
cutting it a few inches short of the fitting, then joining on a little bit
of old colour cable, anyone opening the fitting to check sees old colours,
pre part p, so not checkable,

or if you wanted to be really dodgy, just cut the insulation off where it
exits the outer sheath, and slip some old colour insulation over the
conductor,

i know they could pull the cable out the wall to inspect it, but that's
hardly likely unless they figure out what youve done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I just posted a thread about wondering what would happen to someone
fitting a non-condensing boiler and I got thinking about electrics and
thought the same things apply.

Say you do some DIY rewiring and don't pay the council to check it.
They say you will get in trouble when you move house. So if you never
intend to move, what then? Why should moving make a difference? When I
bought my house I did not ask to see receipts for the all/any work
done. What is to stop people saying they have lost the receipt or that
a particular light switch/socket/etc was fitted before they moved in?

It seems pretty unenforceable to me?

Cable colours changed from red/black/earth to blue/brown/earth about the
same time as the regs, so 'they' could in theory tell if the cable was
installed before or after part P came in.

that's why still have a few drums about the house ;-)

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Stephen wrote:
[...]

The cable colours changed before part p so the work was done before part p
even though the colours are new.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I just posted a thread about wondering what would happen to someone
fitting a non-condensing boiler and I got thinking about electrics and
thought the same things apply.

Say you do some DIY rewiring and don't pay the council to check it.
They say you will get in trouble when you move house. So if you never
intend to move, what then? Why should moving make a difference? When I
bought my house I did not ask to see receipts for the all/any work
done. What is to stop people saying they have lost the receipt or that
a particular light switch/socket/etc was fitted before they moved in?

It seems pretty unenforceable to me?

Cable colours changed from red/black/earth to blue/brown/earth about the
same time as the regs, so 'they' could in theory tell if the cable was
installed before or after part P came in.

Shouldn't that be brown/blue/earth (respectively)?

;-)
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
[...]

As soon as I sent it I just knew....

:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote

Hello,

I just posted a thread about wondering what would happen to someone
fitting a non-condensing boiler and I got thinking about electrics and
thought the same things apply.

Say you do some DIY rewiring and don't pay the council to check it.
They say you will get in trouble when you move house. So if you never
intend to move, what then? Why should moving make a difference? When I
bought my house I did not ask to see receipts for the all/any work
done. What is to stop people saying they have lost the receipt or that
a particular light switch/socket/etc was fitted before they moved in?

It seems pretty unenforceable to me?

If your house burned down due to dodgy wiring and you put in a huge
insurance claim, the company might just be motivated to examine your house
wiring a bit more closely (if any survived)!
If there were datable bodges they might use this as an excuse not to pay?

Long shot but who knows?

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:

[...]

If that applies it would have too long before PP. However, they don't seem
to refuse claims caused by dodgy wiring - unless of course it could be
proved to be deliberate to cause the fire.

Phil

--
*Middle age is when it takes longer to rest than to get tired.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
TheScullster wrote:

[...]

The insurance company would want to investigate the cause of the fire.
If it resulted from a.n. other's work they might be able to recover
their outlay from a. n. other.

Somewhere in the policy conditions will be a requirement that you take
reasonable care to maintain your property. Normally you would have to do
something pretty stupid for them to invoke that condition. However as
price comparison sites encourage policyholders to go for lower and lower
premiums the insurance companies will be looking harder and harder at
ways of minimising their outlays.

Fortunately I have lots of old colour cable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:52:00 +0100, Owain wrote:

Tim S wrote:
Cable colours changed from red/black/earth to blue/brown/earth about the
same time as the regs, so 'they' could in theory tell if the cable was
installed before or after part P came in.

But not quite enough at the same time to allow them to prove it. The date
printed on the cable it more insidious,

like for like replacement, post Part Pee, not notifiable.

like the dates on double-glazed
sealed unit separators.

like for like replacement of a damaged pane, post Part 'ell, not
notifiable. Like for like repair/replacement of a damaged frame, not
notifiable. New window, notifiable.

Three new frames and six panes of glass later, your house still has the
original windows :-)

Owain

...and of course they all have the same date as you bought them as a job lot....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I just posted a thread about wondering what would happen to someone
fitting a non-condensing boiler and I got thinking about electrics and
thought the same things apply.

Say you do some DIY rewiring and don't pay the council to check it.
They say you will get in trouble when you move house. So if you never
intend to move, what then? Why should moving make a difference? When I
bought my house I did not ask to see receipts for the all/any work
done. What is to stop people saying they have lost the receipt or that
a particular light switch/socket/etc was fitted before they moved in?

It seems pretty unenforceable to me?

My mate sold his house recently where he had done electrical work in the
kitchen, moving and adding sockets for new appliances and electric plinth
heater. Got a quote for Part P check (actually a IEEE compliance certificate
as Part P has to be issued by installer) ay £375, which as this was about 4
times the cost of all the bits he had fitted, so he just forgot.

Anyway when moving, just ticked the "do not have/have lost" box on the
solictors paperwork. Solicitors more interested in Fensa certificate for
Windows (which he had lost).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gazz" wrote in message

which is why people selling old colour cables on ebay are always able to
sell what they want, apparantly if you can find a supplier of cables to
hospitals it's the old colours too,

Not at the hospitals I have worked at.

Adam