Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can boilers cause a whacking sound?

ie a loud crack noise.

I'm getting woken up at random times of the early hours of the morning by a
loud crack type of noise,my neighbours away and now I have had time to
think, this occurs every time she's away ie the boiler not getting used for
anything upto a week or two?

Tis bloody annoying and I'm trying to fathom out whats doing it? short of
staying up for a couple of nights as its random I don't think I can pinpoint
it hence me asking whether boilers creat a loud bang or noise when not in
use or are just plain too old and need replacing.

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote

I'm getting woken up at random times of the early hours of the morning by
loud crack type of noise,my neighbours away and now I have had time to
think, this occurs every time she's away ie the boiler not getting used
for
anything upto a week or two?

Tis bloody annoying and I'm trying to fathom out whats doing it? short of
staying up for a couple of nights as its random I don't think I can
pinpoint
it hence me asking whether boilers creat a loud bang or noise when not in
use or are just plain too old and need replacing.

We had a boiler that used to ignite explosively, which may have sounded like
a crack from the outside.
This was intermittent and no doubt due to the position/size of the pilot
relative to the burner.
No reason why this should be happening only while your neighbour is away
though!

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 27, 6:35*pm, "George" wrote:
ie a loud crack noise.

I'm getting woken up at random times of the early hours of the morning by a
loud crack type of noise,my neighbours away and now I have had time to
think, this occurs every time she's away ie the boiler not getting used for
anything upto a week or two?

Tis bloody annoying and I'm trying to fathom out whats doing it? short of
staying up for a couple of nights as its random I don't think I can pinpoint
it hence me asking whether boilers creat a loud bang or noise when not in
use or are just plain too old and need replacing.

TIA

If the pump doesnt overrun, water is liable to boil in the heat
exchanger when the boiler stops. In a restricted space like this it
sounds like banging. Suspect the pump overrun circuitry - if there is
any. If not, turning the circulation temp down reduces the odds of it
happening.

NT