DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Getting rid of a piano. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/258713-getting-rid-piano.html)

endymion August 25th 08 10:15 AM

Getting rid of a piano.

I have a millstone . Its an old piano. Iron frame 1920's upright. Good
working order and tuned every six months. The problem is I don't want it. I
cant play and never use it. Its in the way. The trouble is no one else
seems to want it either. I have tried giving it away via the adds in the
paper. I have tried asking a house clearance to come and move it and even
said I would pay costs. No one will even come and take it to the tip for me.

How do you get rid of a piano like this?

Invisible Man[_2_] August 25th 08 10:19 AM

Getting rid of a piano.

endymion wrote:
I have a millstone . Its an old piano. Iron frame 1920's upright. Good
working order and tuned every six months. The problem is I don't want
it. I cant play and never use it. Its in the way. The trouble is no one
else seems to want it either. I have tried giving it away via the adds
in the paper. I have tried asking a house clearance to come and move it
and even said I would pay costs. No one will even come and take it to
the tip for me.

How do you get rid of a piano like this?

Have you tried freecycle? Around here the local authority will collect
or recommend others. Either way it costs.

http://www.freecycle.org/

geoff August 25th 08 10:35 AM

Getting rid of a piano.

In message , endymion
writes
I have a millstone . Its an old piano. Iron frame 1920's upright. Good
working order and tuned every six months. The problem is I don't want
it. I cant play and never use it. Its in the way. The trouble is no
one else seems to want it either. I have tried giving it away via the
adds in the paper. I have tried asking a house clearance to come and
move it and even said I would pay costs. No one will even come and take
it to the tip for me.

How do you get rid of a piano like this?

well, from experience - don't try breaking it up, you might get rid of
the wood, but you'll end up with a frame which is very difficult to do
anything with at all

getting rid of it? - no answer

--
geoff

Andrew Gabriel August 25th 08 10:43 AM

Getting rid of a piano.

In article ,
"endymion" writes:
I have a millstone . Its an old piano. Iron frame 1920's upright. Good
working order and tuned every six months. The problem is I don't want it. I
cant play and never use it. Its in the way. The trouble is no one else
seems to want it either. I have tried giving it away via the adds in the
paper. I have tried asking a house clearance to come and move it and even
said I would pay costs. No one will even come and take it to the tip for me.

How do you get rid of a piano like this?

Local school, village hall, community centre, pub, old peoples' home, ...

If you said which town you're in/near, someone here might think of
a suitable local home for it.

--
Andrew Gabriel

endymion August 25th 08 10:49 AM

Getting rid of a piano.

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"endymion" writes:
I have a millstone . Its an old piano. Iron frame 1920's upright. Good
working order and tuned every six months. The problem is I don't want it.
cant play and never use it. Its in the way. The trouble is no one else
seems to want it either. I have tried giving it away via the adds in the
paper. I have tried asking a house clearance to come and move it and even
said I would pay costs. No one will even come and take it to the tip for
me.

How do you get rid of a piano like this?

Local school, village hall, community centre, pub, old peoples' home, ...

If you said which town you're in/near, someone here might think of
a suitable local home for it.

I live in SE Cornwall. Callington/ Liskeard area. Striking distance from
Plymouth

John August 25th 08 10:51 AM

Getting rid of a piano.

"endymion" writes:
I have a millstone . Its an old piano. Iron frame 1920's upright. Good
working order and tuned every six months. The problem is I don't want it.
cant play and never use it. Its in the way. The trouble is no one else
seems to want it either. I have tried giving it away via the adds in the
paper. I have tried asking a house clearance to come and move it and even
said I would pay costs. No one will even come and take it to the tip for
me.

How do you get rid of a piano like this?

Local school, village hall, community centre, pub, old peoples' home, ...

If you said which town you're in/near, someone here might think of
a suitable local home for it.

--
Andrew Gabriel

When I was in the Scouts many years ago we used to get them given to us for
jumble sales - inevitably they didn't sell so we had piano smashing
competitions - to see which team could post the piano through a 1foot square
hole (IIRC). The frames would break with a sledge hammer. The piano wire was
a pest.

Stuart Noble August 25th 08 11:17 AM

Getting rid of a piano.

"endymion" writes:
[...]

Stick it on EBay with no reserve.
If it's in tune and doesn't need anything spent on it, I'm sure it'll be
snapped up by someone with kids going through the grades

Andrew Gabriel August 25th 08 11:29 AM

Getting rid of a piano.

In article ,
"John" writes:

When I was in the Scouts many years ago we used to get them given to us for
jumble sales - inevitably they didn't sell so we had piano smashing
competitions - to see which team could post the piano through a 1foot square
hole (IIRC). The frames would break with a sledge hammer. The piano wire was
a pest.

Smashing a piano can be quite dangerous without making it
safe first (releasing the tension on the strings). There's
around 25 tons force across the frame, and you don't want
that to let go in one bang by breaking the frame.
Even individual wires breaking can cause nasty injuries.

--
Andrew Gabriel

endymion August 25th 08 11:34 AM

Getting rid of a piano.

"stuart noble" wrote in message
endymion wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,

How do you get rid of a piano like this?

Local school, village hall, community centre, pub, old peoples' home,

If you said which town you're in/near, someone here might think of
a suitable local home for it.

I live in SE Cornwall. Callington/ Liskeard area. Striking distance from
Plymouth

Stick it on EBay with no reserve.
If it's in tune and doesn't need anything spent on it, I'm sure it'll be
snapped up by someone with kids going through the grades

Its in working order. I spent 300+ quid on it a couple of years ago to have
the striking mechanism overhauled so it should last 20 years of good play
now. I had intended to learn to play but I wont so its pointless keeping it.
I have had it 20 years and never touched it. It just sits there taking up
space.

Stuart Noble August 25th 08 12:02 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

endymion wrote:

[...]

Pianos are worth nothing when you're trying to get rid of them, but cost
a bomb if you're looking to buy one :-)

Teachers are always on the lookout for uprights for their pupils. Ring a
few. £300 is cheap for a working piano.

Kevin August 25th 08 12:14 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"John" writes:
When I was in the Scouts many years ago we used to get them given to us for
jumble sales - inevitably they didn't sell so we had piano smashing
competitions - to see which team could post the piano through a 1foot square
hole (IIRC). The frames would break with a sledge hammer. The piano wire was
a pest.

Smashing a piano can be quite dangerous without making it
safe first (releasing the tension on the strings). There's
around 25 tons force across the frame, and you don't want
that to let go in one bang by breaking the frame.
Even individual wires breaking can cause nasty injuries.

I broke one up as a teenager and there might be 25 tons of force but it
was not that dramatic when hit with a sedge hammer, 25 tons of force
with elastic bungy rope might be a different kettle of fish, and after
watching mythbusters snapping 1/4 steel wire even that was not that
dangerous
but it might be as well to loosen the strings first

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

endymion August 25th 08 12:20 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

endymion wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,

Its in working order. I spent 300+ quid on it a couple of years ago to
have the striking mechanism overhauled so it should last 20 years of good
play now. I had intended to learn to play but I wont so its pointless
keeping it. I have had it 20 years and never touched it. It just sits
there taking up space.

Pianos are worth nothing when you're trying to get rid of them, but cost a
bomb if you're looking to buy one :-)

Teachers are always on the lookout for uprights for their pupils. Ring a
few. £300 is cheap for a working piano.

I will give it away of I can find a taker. I have put it on Plymouth
freecycle now but I don't know how it works really. The message hasn't
appeared there yet.

geoff August 25th 08 12:30 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"John" writes:

When I was in the Scouts many years ago we used to get them given to us for
jumble sales - inevitably they didn't sell so we had piano smashing
competitions - to see which team could post the piano through a 1foot square
hole (IIRC). The frames would break with a sledge hammer. The piano wire was
a pest.

Smashing a piano can be quite dangerous without making it
safe first (releasing the tension on the strings). There's
around 25 tons force across the frame, and you don't want
that to let go in one bang by breaking the frame.

The reality of the situation is that you just end up with a mass of cast
iron and wire when you smash it up. I've "dismantled" several and the
actual elastic distention of the strings is so small that the world as
we know it doesn't end when you crack it

The only injury I ever sustained was when I put a (1/2" dia) coach screw
right through my foot because I was wearing flip flops instead of proper
foot protection (naughty boy!)

Even individual wires breaking can cause nasty injuries.

They don't (on the whole)

Is anything you posted above from actual first hand experience ?

--
geoff

Mary Fisher August 25th 08 12:31 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

"endymion" writes:
[...]

:-(

But not Leeds ... sadly!

Mary

geoff August 25th 08 12:32 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

In message , Kevin
writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"John" writes:
[...]

exactly

but it might be as well to loosen the strings first

all 200 of them ?

--
geoff

Kevin August 25th 08 12:44 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

endymion wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,

Its in working order. I spent 300+ quid on it a couple of years ago
to have the striking mechanism overhauled so it should last 20 years
of good play now. I had intended to learn to play but I wont so its
pointless keeping it. I have had it 20 years and never touched it.
It just sits there taking up space.

Pianos are worth nothing when you're trying to get rid of them, but
cost a bomb if you're looking to buy one :-)

Teachers are always on the lookout for uprights for their pupils. Ring
a few. £300 is cheap for a working piano.

I will give it away of I can find a taker. I have put it on Plymouth
freecycle now but I don't know how it works really. The message hasn't
appeared there yet.

they monitor posts on free cycle when you start out to make sure they
are appropriate for free cycling, IE no wanted posts for 42" plasmas top
of the range laptops or offers baby rabbits
it will appear once they have reviewed your post

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Kevin August 25th 08 12:49 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

geoff wrote:
In message , Kevin
writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"John" writes:
[...]

not counted them, that's was just my get out of jail free card :-)

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Stuart Noble August 25th 08 12:59 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

endymion wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,

Its in working order. I spent 300+ quid on it a couple of years ago
to have the striking mechanism overhauled so it should last 20 years
of good play now. I had intended to learn to play but I wont so its
pointless keeping it. I have had it 20 years and never touched it.
It just sits there taking up space.

Pianos are worth nothing when you're trying to get rid of them, but
cost a bomb if you're looking to buy one :-)

Teachers are always on the lookout for uprights for their pupils. Ring
a few. £300 is cheap for a working piano.

I will give it away of I can find a taker. I have put it on Plymouth
freecycle now but I don't know how it works really. The message hasn't
appeared there yet.

EBay is the way to go, even if you're giving it away (which would be
silly in my view)

geoff August 25th 08 01:07 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

In message , Kevin
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Kevin
writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"John" writes:
[...]

88 * 3 - bass strings , round off to the nearest sensible number

--
geoff

Dave Plowman (News) August 25th 08 01:46 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

In article ,
geoff wrote:
well, from experience - don't try breaking it up, you might get rid of
the wood, but you'll end up with a frame which is very difficult to do
anything with at all

I'd say any pikey would be happy to remove the frame - given the cost of
scrap metal these days.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Bill[_18_] August 25th 08 01:55 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

In message , Invisible Man
writes
Have you tried freecycle?

My experience with freecycle have been very mixed. And I can't imagine
why they use that awful Yahoo application.

About 30 years ago we were given a good old iron framed piano, which we
still have and which still sounds great. My daughter got to Grade 8 on
it and bangs away every time she comes back to visit.
About 15 years ago we moved house and thought the old piano would fall
apart in the move, so we bought a second piano at a good price from a
teacher, and put it in the new house.
With a bit of woodwork from me, the old piano did survive the move, and
daughter later took the second piano to her house.

When she comes here and we hear her play her old black piano, it makes
it all worthwhile. This talk of smashing a decent piano is sacrilege. It
could change someone's life. It's your duty to try to find them.
--
Bill

George August 25th 08 02:13 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

"endymion" wrote in message
I have a millstone . Its an old piano. Iron frame 1920's upright. Good
working order and tuned every six months. The problem is I don't want it.

cant play and never use it. Its in the way. The trouble is no one else
seems to want it either. I have tried giving it away via the adds in the
paper. I have tried asking a house clearance to come and move it and even
said I would pay costs. No one will even come and take it to the tip for

me.

How do you get rid of a piano like this?

Smash it up into pieces,I had a great time doing this as a nipper on our old
piano...me am wanted firewood for the coal fire as we couldnt afford coal
now and again. ;-)

Stuart Noble August 25th 08 03:17 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

When she comes here and we hear her play her old black piano, it makes
it all worthwhile. This talk of smashing a decent piano is sacrilege. It
could change someone's life. It's your duty to try to find them.

Amen to that.
Acoustic sound isn't valued too highly these days

Alang August 25th 08 03:21 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:15:56 +0100, "endymion"
wrote:

I have a millstone . Its an old piano. Iron frame 1920's upright. Good
working order and tuned every six months. The problem is I don't want it. I
cant play and never use it. Its in the way. The trouble is no one else
seems to want it either. I have tried giving it away via the adds in the
paper. I have tried asking a house clearance to come and move it and even
said I would pay costs. No one will even come and take it to the tip for me.

How do you get rid of a piano like this?

bay and freecycle have ben mentioned. There is this too
http://devon.craigslist.co.uk/

mogga August 25th 08 04:33 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:44:59 +0100, Kevin
wrote:

they monitor posts on free cycle when you start out to make sure they
are appropriate for free cycling, IE no wanted posts for 42" plasmas top
of the range laptops or offers baby rabbits
it will appear once they have reviewed your post

As long as you don't ask for more than 3 42" plasmas a month my group
doesn't mind. :(
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Stephen Howard August 25th 08 04:55 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:17:32 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

When she comes here and we hear her play her old black piano, it makes
it all worthwhile. This talk of smashing a decent piano is sacrilege. It
could change someone's life. It's your duty to try to find them.

Amen to that.
Acoustic sound isn't valued too highly these days

Generally because most half-decent digital pianos will knock spots of
A.N.Other old upright.
No need for tuning, headphone capability, weighted and touch-senstive
action that never needs balancing, portability - and in some cases a
choice of piano/harpsichord/organ sounds.

I got £12 for my old upright back in the 70s - it was so knackered I
had to have it tuned to Bb. The only value it had was in the
soundboard wood.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

dennis@home August 25th 08 04:57 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

"stuart noble" wrote in message

When she comes here and we hear her play her old black piano, it makes it
all worthwhile. This talk of smashing a decent piano is sacrilege. It
could change someone's life. It's your duty to try to find them.

Amen to that.
Acoustic sound isn't valued too highly these days

Digital sound is often undervalued by old farts.
A decent (more than ~£99) digital piano is almost certain to be better than
a 1920s upright if it wasn't tuned two hours ago if its connected to some
proper speakers.

Graeme August 25th 08 05:01 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

In message , Bill
writes

About 15 years ago we moved house and thought the old piano would fall
apart in the move, so we bought a second piano at a good price from a
teacher, and put it in the new house.

Slightly off on a tangent, but just how heavy, and difficult to move, is
an upright piano?

My wife would love one (she plays, but does not have a piano), and have
seen them on Freecycle occasionally, but are put off by the imagined (?)
problems of moving, tuning etc.

--
Graeme

dennis@home August 25th 08 05:04 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

"Kevin" wrote in message

I broke one up as a teenager and there might be 25 tons of force but it
was not that dramatic when hit with a sedge hammer, 25 tons of force with
elastic bungy rope might be a different kettle of fish, and after watching
mythbusters snapping 1/4 steel wire even that was not that dangerous

Ahh, mythbusters.. proving that they can't duplicate a myth.. not that the
myth didn't happen..

they aren't the brightest of people.. they don't even know what makes a
suspension bridge a suspension bridge as anyone who watched them make one
for a myth will know.

The program can be fun though.

dennis@home August 25th 08 05:05 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

"Kevin" wrote in message
geoff wrote:

but it might be as well to loosen the strings first

all 200 of them ?

not counted them, that's was just my get out of jail free card :-)

Neither has geoff ;-)

Stuart Noble August 25th 08 05:09 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

wrote:

When she comes here and we hear her play her old black piano, it makes
it all worthwhile. This talk of smashing a decent piano is sacrilege. It
could change someone's life. It's your duty to try to find them.

Amen to that.
Acoustic sound isn't valued too highly these days

Generally because most half-decent digital pianos will knock spots of
A.N.Other old upright.
No need for tuning, headphone capability, weighted and touch-senstive
action that never needs balancing, portability - and in some cases a
choice of piano/harpsichord/organ sounds.

But maybe kids need to hear acoustic sound. It's just musical
typewriting otherwise

geoff August 25th 08 05:13 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Kevin" wrote in message
geoff wrote:

but it might be as well to loosen the strings first

all 200 of them ?

not counted them, that's was just my get out of jail free card :-)

Neither has geoff ;-)

missed my post on how I made the approximation then ?

geoff August 25th 08 05:19 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"stuart noble" wrote in message

When she comes here and we hear her play her old black piano, it
makes it all worthwhile. This talk of smashing a decent piano is
sacrilege. It could change someone's life. It's your duty to try to
find them.

Amen to that.
Acoustic sound isn't valued too highly these days

Digital sound is often undervalued by old farts.
A decent (more than ~£99) digital piano is almost certain to be better
than a 1920s upright if it wasn't tuned two hours ago if its connected
to some proper speakers.

better in what way ?

I have yet to come across a digital keyboard which can compare with a
half decent real piano in terms of feel and dynamics

Give me a proper piano any day

and yes, I have both, learnt piano "classically" etc

--
geoff

George August 25th 08 05:24 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message , Bill
writes

About 15 years ago we moved house and thought the old piano would fall
apart in the move, so we bought a second piano at a good price from a
teacher, and put it in the new house.

Slightly off on a tangent, but just how heavy, and difficult to move, is
an upright piano?

My wife would love one (she plays, but does not have a piano), and have
seen them on Freecycle occasionally, but are put off by the imagined (?)
problems of moving, tuning etc.

--
Graeme

About the weight of a car engine.

geoff August 25th 08 05:33 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

In message , stuart noble
writes
wrote:

When she comes here and we hear her play her old black piano, it
makes it all worthwhile. This talk of smashing a decent piano is
sacrilege. It could change someone's life. It's your duty to try to

Amen to that.
Acoustic sound isn't valued too highly these days

Generally because most half-decent digital pianos will knock spots
of
A.N.Other old upright.
No need for tuning, headphone capability, weighted and touch-senstive
action that never needs balancing, portability - and in some cases a
choice of piano/harpsichord/organ sounds.

But maybe kids need to hear acoustic sound. It's just musical
typewriting otherwise

dennis has just shown that he's not a musician

--
geoff

endymion August 25th 08 06:02 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message , Bill
writes

Slightly off on a tangent, but just how heavy, and difficult to move, is
an upright piano?

My wife would love one (she plays, but does not have a piano), and have
seen them on Freecycle occasionally, but are put off by the imagined (?)
problems of moving, tuning etc.

I cant say how heavy it is but it is HEAVY! Its on castors ( I guess most
are) and when I moved we wheeled it in and tugged it up a couple of steps.
When I had it originally it took me and one other person ( male) to lift it
up 15 steps! It was a job and I was much younger then. My current home is
a bungalow so when we moved here it came along relatively happily. However,
I know even removers job at moving piano's.

Getting it tuned is relatively painless except for the cost - 45 quid a
time.

I really just want to move mine because I dont use it. I cant play. I want
a new carpet and cant put one down because its so difficult to work round
the piano and its a bit in the way.

[email protected] August 25th 08 06:03 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

Graeme wrote:

In message , Bill
writes

About 15 years ago we moved house and thought the old piano would fall
apart in the move, so we bought a second piano at a good price from a
teacher, and put it in the new house.

Slightly off on a tangent, but just how heavy, and difficult to move, is
an upright piano?

I can speak from experience on this. I moved an old iron framed
upright with a burly mate for my girlfriend from a 1st floor flat.

They are *very very* heavy.

We used ratchet straps slung around the legs to lower/slide it down
the stairs on blankets.

We then lumped it on its back on a trailer and bounced it down the A23
in the rain under a scrap of plastic sheet to my (then) girlfriends
house.

She let it settle for a week or so, then had it tuned.

Lasted 5 years with her, then she traded it in for a newer, better
quality upright.

They are quite hardy.

Cheers,

Paul.

Stuart Noble August 25th 08 07:06 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

geoff wrote:
In message , stuart noble
writes
wrote:

When she comes here and we hear her play her old black piano, it
makes it all worthwhile. This talk of smashing a decent piano is
sacrilege. It could change someone's life. It's your duty to try to
Amen to that.
Acoustic sound isn't valued too highly these days
Generally because most half-decent digital pianos will knock spots of
A.N.Other old upright.
No need for tuning, headphone capability, weighted and touch-senstive
action that never needs balancing, portability - and in some cases a
choice of piano/harpsichord/organ sounds.

But maybe kids need to hear acoustic sound. It's just musical
typewriting otherwise

dennis has just shown that he's not a musician

Doesn't need to be with his £99 keyboard plugged into his surround sound
system, ennit?

Kevin August 25th 08 07:28 PM

Getting rid of a piano.

dennis@home wrote:

"Kevin" wrote in message

I broke one up as a teenager and there might be 25 tons of force but
it was not that dramatic when hit with a sedge hammer, 25 tons of
force with elastic bungy rope might be a different kettle of fish, and
after watching mythbusters snapping 1/4 steel wire even that was not
that dangerous

Ahh, mythbusters.. proving that they can't duplicate a myth.. not that
the myth didn't happen..

they aren't the brightest of people.. they don't even know what makes a
suspension bridge a suspension bridge as anyone who watched them make
one for a myth will know.

The program can be fun though.

a bridge is one thing a snapping steel wire is another :-)

--
Kevin R
Reply address works