Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heating System Problems

Hi all, I have a continuing issue with my central heating system that
is manifesting itself in two ways.

(1) When both my hot water and central heating are on, the boiler (a
potterton suprima 50 litre - 3 years old) bangs and then locks out.
I've had several vists by gas fitters who have recorded the
temperature of the inlet and outlet who state that the boiler flow is
restricted somewhere and the water is boileing in the cast iron heat
exchanger. I've had countless plumbers and heating engineers who have
replaced the circuit boards in the boiler, the flow restriction valve
at the hot water cyclinder, the cold water inlet pipes, the flow
control valve between the heating system and the hot water system etc.
I've also had the system flushed with a chemical cleaner.

(2) Recently my aqualisa power shower is failing to pump water. It
pumps well for the fist 5 minutes and then the water suddely dries up.
You can hear the pump whining but there is no water. Neither cold or
hot. Previously, after showering or running a bath, you could hear the
hot water cylinder being refilled from the cold inlet. Now I cannot
hear that noise.

Well, that's all the information I have. I've spent a lot of money on
sepatate engineers trying to resolve these issues. I was hoping that
someone could give me a few pointers to help me locate what the issue
may be. Otherwise I've a feeling that I'll have to replace the whole
system!

Any advice would be appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Aug, 09:37, Kevin wrote:
[...]

I once attended a boiler with similar symptoms, where the tenant had
closed off "all" the radiators and there was no bypass. When the
cylinder was hot and no path through it there was no flow via the
radiators, the pump ran the boiler fired and the banging started until
the boiler locked out on overheat. Do you by any chance have
thermostatic valves on your system which are shut off or stuck closed?
Ref the shower - check your ball-float valve in the head tank has not
jammed through corrosion or has bebris in the cone resulting in a
dribble only being allowed to enter to replace the run-off.
Final tip get someone competent in who understands what they are
diagnosing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cynic wrote:

On 18 Aug, 09:37, Kevin wrote:
[...]

I don't think you have a single problem which is manifesting itself in two
ways - I think you have *two* distinct problems!

In the first one, water in the primary circuit (boiler, indirect coil in HW
cylinder, radiators) is failing to flow through the boiler - so it
understandably overheats and locks out. Obvious things to check for are
failed pump, or 3-port mid-position valve (if you have one) stuck in the
CH-only position, coupled with TRVs on the radiators all shut. Another
distinct possibility (assuming a vented system) is that the small fill &
expansion tank in the attic has run dry, allowing an air-lock to develop in
the primary circuit. This has a float valve which is supposed to keep it
topped up to compensate for evaporation and slight leaks but these operate
so infrequently that they often sieze up. It's easy enough to check.

You say that this happen when *both* HW and CH are on. What happens if you
select just HW or just CH?

The second problem concerns the secondary (domestic hot water) circuit.
Either the large cold header tank -which feeds the HW cylinder and
(presumably) a direct cold feed to the shower pump - is running dry or
something is happening between the shower pump and shower head. What happens
when you run a bath - is that ok or do the taps dry up after a while? When
the shower stops in this way, get someone to look at the cold header tank to
check whether it has water in it, and whether it is being replenished
through its float valve.

I've been having problems recently with my power shower - which I suspect to
be due to the flexible hose which connects the mixer valve to the shower
head. I first noticed that it was starting to bulge when the shower was
running. I effected a temporary cure by binding the affected part with
Gaffer tape but shortly afterwards got similar symptoms to yours whereby
after a few minutes of operation the pump would make a different noise and
the flow would dramatically reduce. I suspect that my hose had delaminated,
allowing water to get into unscheduled places - causing the lining to bulge
and block the flow. Fingers crossed, it hasn't happened since I replaced the
hose. You could check very easily to see whether that is your problem by
unscrewing the hose from the mixer valve when the problem occurs. If water
suddenly starts gushing out of the mixer valve, it's an indication that the
hose is blocked.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Central heating problems ClarkD UK diy 13 April 21st 08 08:49 PM
Central Heating Bypass on Fully TRV'd SYstem (Incl Honeywell CM37z Zone System) t UK diy 10 April 3rd 06 06:53 PM
Central Heating Problems [email protected] UK diy 2 July 21st 05 09:50 PM
Central Heating Problems Amos UK diy 6 December 9th 04 01:44 PM
Problems with Central heating. Mike Hibbert UK diy 4 October 7th 03 09:37 AM