Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is it?

I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's
made of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter
and 1" deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is
a small steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's
something loose inside as it rattles when shaken.
Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit reluctant to pull the pin too hard
or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's
made of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter
and 1" deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is
a small steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's
something loose inside as it rattles when shaken.
Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit reluctant to pull the pin too hard
or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Dave

looks like a darning mushroom..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 18:13:14 +0100, Anne Welsh Jackson
wrote:

(Dave) wrote:

I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's
made of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter
and 1" deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is
a small steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's
something loose inside as it rattles when shaken.
Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit reluctant to pull the pin too hard
or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

My mum used to have a darning mushroom that
looked just like this, but it was made of wood.

The shaft unscrewed, and needles were kept inside it.

I remember wooden darning mushrooms, but the diameter was bigger. This
seems too small for that purpose.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes

I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's
made of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter
and 1" deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is
a small steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's
something loose inside as it rattles when shaken.
Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit reluctant to pull the pin too hard
or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Bradawl?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Aug, 22:44, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Dave
writes

I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's
made of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter
and 1" deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is
a small steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's
something loose inside as it rattles when shaken.
Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit reluctant to pull the pin too hard
or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Bradawl?

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Brilliant! Homemade, do you think?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:44:26 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Dave
writes

I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's
made of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter
and 1" deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is
a small steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's
something loose inside as it rattles when shaken.
Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit reluctant to pull the pin too hard
or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Bradawl?

Lead seems to be a rather unlikely candidate for a bradawl :-)

I think I might be tempted to call the bomb disposal people before you
move it around too much..... ;-)

Are you certain it's lead?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Aug, 00:38, Frank Erskine wrote:
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:44:26 +0100, Tim Lamb

wrote:
In message , Dave
writes

I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's
made of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter
and 1" deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is
a small steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's
something loose inside as it rattles when shaken.
Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit reluctant to pull the pin too hard
or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Bradawl?

Lead seems to be a rather unlikely candidate for a bradawl :-)

I think I might be tempted to call the bomb disposal people before you
move it around too much..... ;-)

Are you certain it's lead?

--

Wicked! There's nothing VERY like it here!

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-...allied_ww1.htm

Frank Erskine- Hide quoted text -

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:44:26 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Dave
writes

I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's
made of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter
and 1" deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is
a small steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's
something loose inside as it rattles when shaken.
Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit reluctant to pull the pin too hard
or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Bradawl?

Lead seems to be a rather unlikely candidate for a bradawl :-)

I think I might be tempted to call the bomb disposal people before you
move it around too much..... ;-)

Are you certain it's lead?

Ah! Missed the lead bit. What about sash window weight? Something to do
with curtains?......

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:44:26 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Dave
writes

I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's
made of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter
and 1" deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is
a small steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's
something loose inside as it rattles when shaken.
Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit reluctant to pull the pin too hard
or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Bradawl?

Lead seems to be a rather unlikely candidate for a bradawl :-)

I think I might be tempted to call the bomb disposal people before you
move it around too much..... ;-)

Are you certain it's lead?

Ah! Missed the lead bit. What about sash window weight? Something to do
with curtains?......

regards

Might be an old plumb-bob.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 18, 2:53 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:44:26 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Dave
writes

[...]

Or part of the old-fashioned kit for making thread from fleece (before
spinning wheels). I can't remember what they are called now :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Martin Bonner wrote:
On Aug 18, 2:53 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:44:26 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:
In message , Dave
writes
[...]

Drop spindle?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Aug, 14:34, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Frank Erskine
writes

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:44:26 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Dave
writes

[...]

Tim Lamb- Hide quoted text -

Not with a pin, surely.
..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave wrote:
I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's
made of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter
and 1" deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is
a small steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's
something loose inside as it rattles when shaken.
Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit reluctant to pull the pin too hard
or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Mushroom duck decoy anchor? (If you've got a soft bottom, so to speak.
:-) )

http://www.do-itmolds.com/prodmolds.aspx?c=90

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:

Or part of the old-fashioned kit for making thread from fleece (before
spinning wheels). I can't remember what they are called now :-(

Drop spindles. But I very much doubt that's what it is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Aug, 17:32, (Dave) wrote:
I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's
made of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter
and 1" deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is
a small steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's
something loose inside as it rattles when shaken.
Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit reluctant to pull the pin too hard
or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Dave

Try whipping it and see if it keeps up like a top.

As long as it isn't a bomb...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:32:19 GMT, (Dave) wrote:

I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's
made of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter
and 1" deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is
a small steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's
something loose inside as it rattles when shaken.
Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit reluctant to pull the pin too hard
or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Dave

I'm still none the wiser as to what it is. However, it's not a bomb! I
pushed the pin and it went inside, made the hole slightly bigger and
it fell out. The pin is about 2.5" long square shaped but heavily
rusted and thicker than the bit sticking out.
It may have been tighter before it rusted, but can't see it being a
bradawl as the continual turning would have weakened the lead inside.
The plumb line, another possiblility, but why have the domed head and
not just a cylindrical shaft.

Thanks for all the replies.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:32:19 +0000, Dave wrote:

I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's made
of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter and 1"
deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is a small
steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's something loose
inside as it rattles when shaken. Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit
reluctant to pull the pin too hard or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Dave

==================================
It could be the remains of a crudely made poker from a set of fire irons.
Good quality fire irons usually had brass handles.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:27:45 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:32:19 +0000, Dave wrote:

I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's made
of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter and 1"
deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is a small
steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's something loose
inside as it rattles when shaken. Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit
reluctant to pull the pin too hard or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Dave

==================================
It could be the remains of a crudely made poker from a set of fire irons.
Good quality fire irons usually had brass handles.

Cic.

This is made of lead, hardly suitable considering its low melting
point!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:58:25 -0700 (PDT), Ariadne
wrote:

On 17 Aug, 17:32, (Dave) wrote:
I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's
made of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter
and 1" deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is
a small steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's
something loose inside as it rattles when shaken.
Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit reluctant to pull the pin too hard
or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Dave

Try whipping it and see if it keeps up like a top.

Quick thinking Ari ...

How about this: http://snipurl.com/leadtop

French toymaker's site

As long as it isn't a bomb...

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:32:19 +0000, Dave wrote:

I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's
made of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter
and 1" deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is
a small steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's
something loose inside as it rattles when shaken. Anyone got any
ideas? I was a bit reluctant to pull the pin too hard or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Dave

==================================
It could be the remains of a crudely made poker from a set of fire
irons. Good quality fire irons usually had brass handles.

Cic.

This is made of lead, hardly suitable considering its low melting point!

===================================
I don't remember pokers getting that hot! You didn't leave the poker in
the fire - just stir it up a bit.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 17 Aug, 17:32, (Dave) wrote:
I found this in the garden yesterday (pictures on link below). It's
made of lead and looks like a large rivet. The dome is 2" in diameter
and 1" deep, the length is 4.75" and the shaft is 0.75". At the end is
a small steel pin, it is loose but will not pull out. There's
something loose inside as it rattles when shaken.
Anyone got any ideas? I was a bit reluctant to pull the pin too hard
or cut it open!

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0071.jpg

Dave

Try whipping it and see if it keeps up like a top.

Quick thinking Ari ...

How about this:http://snipurl.com/leadtop

French toymaker's site

As long as it isn't a bomb...

Derek

It's very pretty but is it really lead?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:24:37 +0100, Anne Welsh Jackson
wrote:

Of course you leave pokers in the fire! Then, when they're red hot,
you burn patterns in the kindlers, lying in the hearth ready for lighting
the fire the next morning.

Exactly!

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
[...]

the fire the next morning. Then you get a hiding from your dad!

At least that's what used to happen in _our_ house!

===================================
But not the normal use for a poker. People generally were careful to
protect themselves from excessive heat which is why pokers were often
quite long and they spent most of their time hanging on a tidy in company
with a brush and shovel.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 14:12:37 -0700 (PDT), Ariadne
wrote:

Try whipping it and see if it keeps up like a top.

Quick thinking Ari ...

How about this:http://snipurl.com/leadtop

French toymaker's site

As long as it isn't a bomb...

Derek

It's very pretty but is it really lead?

No but were they *all* wood ?

The item in question could have been a toy somebody made at work and
brought home for the kids, which would be consistent with it being
found in a garden. The turned wooden one has a pip for spinning on
where the lead one has a steel / iron insert, a lead pip would soon
wear away.

If it is indeed a one-off item somebody made at work and brought home
it will be difficult to get much further with identifying it.

Another idea I had was that it was some sort of cobbler's / leather
worker's tool for making holes in leather, but better tools than that
have been available for a very long time.

Derek