Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leaking sink problem

For ages I've been wondering where the water was leaking from under my
sink. All connections seemed water tight, but now I've discovered the
problem. Water is leaking through the join between the top of the
drain pipe and the sink hole. I've tightened up the screw in the plug
hole thingy which may have fixed it, but I need to know, is there a
large washer at this point? It seems a bit crumbly at the join.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marky P" wrote in message
For ages I've been wondering where the water was leaking from under my
sink. All connections seemed water tight, but now I've discovered the
problem. Water is leaking through the join between the top of the
drain pipe and the sink hole. I've tightened up the screw in the plug
hole thingy which may have fixed it, but I need to know, is there a
large washer at this point? It seems a bit crumbly at the join.

There should be a washer. Common cause if it leaks when emptying is a lack
of seal where the u-bend joins the plug assembly.

Is it just a normal sink - or does it have a built in overflow - like a wash
basin?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:55:20 +0100, "John"
wrote:

"Marky P" wrote in message
.. .
For ages I've been wondering where the water was leaking from under my
sink. All connections seemed water tight, but now I've discovered the
problem. Water is leaking through the join between the top of the
drain pipe and the sink hole. I've tightened up the screw in the plug
hole thingy which may have fixed it, but I need to know, is there a
large washer at this point? It seems a bit crumbly at the join.

There should be a washer. Common cause if it leaks when emptying is a lack
of seal where the u-bend joins the plug assembly.

Is it just a normal sink - or does it have a built in overflow - like a wash
basin?

Maybe take it apart and dry it off then rebuild using some sealant
like that Fernox LSX ??
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:55:20 +0100, "John"
wrote:

"Marky P" wrote in message
.. .
For ages I've been wondering where the water was leaking from under my
sink. All connections seemed water tight, but now I've discovered the
problem. Water is leaking through the join between the top of the
drain pipe and the sink hole. I've tightened up the screw in the plug
hole thingy which may have fixed it, but I need to know, is there a
large washer at this point? It seems a bit crumbly at the join.

There should be a washer. Common cause if it leaks when emptying is a lack
of seal where the u-bend joins the plug assembly.

Is it just a normal sink - or does it have a built in overflow - like a wash
basin?

It's what I would call a normal kitchen sink.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 22:17:48 +0100, Marky P
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:55:20 +0100, "John"
wrote:

"Marky P" wrote in message
. ..
For ages I've been wondering where the water was leaking from under my
sink. All connections seemed water tight, but now I've discovered the
problem. Water is leaking through the join between the top of the
drain pipe and the sink hole. I've tightened up the screw in the plug
hole thingy which may have fixed it, but I need to know, is there a
large washer at this point? It seems a bit crumbly at the join.

There should be a washer. Common cause if it leaks when emptying is a lack
of seal where the u-bend joins the plug assembly.

Is it just a normal sink - or does it have a built in overflow - like a wash
basin?

It's what I would call a normal kitchen sink.

What he means is the kind of kitchen sink where at the end of the
draining board section there is a drain which connects underneath via
a tube to the waste pipe that comes from the sink plughole .It can
leak unless sealed properly .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Marky P" wrote in message
[...]

No, it hasn't got one of those. The entire kitchen must be of a
certain vintage (probably 20 years old) and could certainly do with
updating, but I live in a Housing Association property and they are
planning on upgrading kitchens & bathrooms sometime between now and
2011. But whether my kitchen is considered for upgrading, I've no
idea :-(. Don't like the colour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

wrote:

"Marky P" wrote in message
[...]

As a HA property it should fall under Decent Homes - 'decent' by 2010,
although that's been pushed back a bit now. For kitchens the written
guidance says 20yrs, and must have adequate space and layout.

A problem with the implementation of the standard (such as it is) is
where the money comes from (expensive private loans, which is unlikely
to affect you much directly), and it's now pretty well established that
many perfectly respectable homes have been pulled down because they're
too expensive to make 'decent'.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Marky P" wrote in message
[...]

Aren't the HA responsible for fixing the leak then if you feel unable
to do it yourself ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:55:20 +0100, "John"
wrote:

"Marky P" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Yes, they are. If I couldn't fix it myself I would call them in. But
since tightening the plug hole screw, it hasn't leaked, so looking
good :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Marky P" wrote in message
news:sl9ea45au0occ7v2qdikqvkt6j7eo88vg4@4ax. com...
[...]

Take care not to overtighten the screw - I did and it broke the 'spokes' of
the grill.