Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any problems raising a joist floor by 80mm?

I want to raise the height of the joists in a bedroom floor so that it
comes level with the landing, at the moment you have to step down onto
it. I intend to just add an 80mm depth baton on to each joist and
reattach the planks on top of that. Is there any problem with doing
this, for example will it contravene any building regs etc?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I can't think of any reason why it would be notifiable building work.
Are you planning to pull up the original boards? Less work to use new.
Unless the old are particularly characterful, I wouldn't bother
pulling them up. Usual caveats, beware of cables and pipes (which is
one downside to not pulling up original boards - less accessibility),
and you could put down sound deadening between the joists as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You'll end up with a *lot* more weight if you double up on the floorboards -
and the existing joists may or may not be able to support this comfortably,
depending on how much they have in hand.

About 9Kg/m^2 for 19mm T&G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 1:54*pm, " wrote:
You'll end up with a *lot* more weight if you double up on the floorboards -
and the existing joists may or may not be able to support this comfortably,
depending on how much they have in hand.

About 9Kg/m^2 for 19mm T&G

Very roughly that's about an extra 20 pounds per 10 square feet?
Or 2 pounds per square foot.
Doesn't sound like a very significant increase in floor load?
If the room is 10 by 12 feet, 120 sq. feet, that's some 240 pounds.
A reasonably heavy person may weigh that much?????
Unless it's very inadequately joisted floor now the addition of the
weight of one person should not make any noticeable difference?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 11:46*am, wrote:
I want to raise the height of the joists in a bedroom floor so that it
comes level with the landing, at the moment you have to step down onto
it. I intend to just add an 80mm depth baton on to each joist and
reattach the planks on top of that. Is there any problem with doing
this, for example will it contravene any building regs etc?

Sounds good. If you glue & screw you'll get a much stiffer floor
structure too, eliminating creaks and cracks and reducing sound
transmission. Add rockwool in there if you want more noise reduction.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

why not just add a floating floor polystyrene slab and 22mm chipboard,no
joists required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Aug, 11:46, wrote:
I want to raise the height of the joists in a bedroom floor so that it
comes level with the landing, at the moment you have to step down onto
it. I intend to just add an 80mm depth baton on to each joist and
reattach the planks on top of that. Is there any problem with doing
this, for example will it contravene any building regs etc?

Wow, that's a coincidence I just done this !!

Only difference is - on the wall at 90 degrees to the run of the
joists I screwed a batten, then put battens from wall-to-wall accross
the existing line of joists (i.e. 90 degrees to joists), these were
notched & screwed into the battens on the walls & also screwed into
the existing joists (some needed packing underneath). then covered
whole lot with caberfloor. Had to do it this way cos the existing
floor wasnt level. Mind you I had a bit more to make up than 80mm so I
was using 5x2 inch for the battens. I put everything at 40mm centres
to match the standard length of caberfloor panels.
All seems to work and I finally have a level floor, with no step.

Raising concrete floor level Andy Burns UK diy 4 September 28th 06 08:44 PM
Raising a concrete floor by approx 2 inches. Donwill UK diy 4 June 22nd 06 06:30 PM
raising floor level nafuk UK diy 1 March 11th 06 05:04 PM
Raising/Levelling a floor on cement charlesg Home Repair 6 December 21st 05 01:17 AM
SUSPENDED GROUND-FLOOR JOIST PROBLEMS HJWD UK diy 6 October 26th 05 12:50 AM