Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Intruder Alarms

Hi,

I'm looking to up-date my very old intruder alarms and quite like the look
of a wireless set up. Does anyone know how reliable they are in that are
they prone to interference from other wireless devices e.g. mobiles,
internet connections, cordless phones etc?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Fredrick Skoog" writes:
Hi,

I'm looking to up-date my very old intruder alarms and quite like the look
of a wireless set up. Does anyone know how reliable they are in that are
they prone to interference from other wireless devices e.g. mobiles,
internet connections, cordless phones etc?

Don't you already have the cabling installed for your current one?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredrick Skoog wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to up-date my very old intruder alarms and quite like the
look of a wireless set up. Does anyone know how reliable they are in
that are they prone to interference from other wireless devices e.g.
mobiles, internet connections, cordless phones etc?

Thanks

We've had this ESP Infinite system in for about 2 years now and not a single
false alarm - and yes, it is working when I test it )

Seriously, it's very good and I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ain/index.html

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

HI
The latest radio systems are very reliable and battery life is now up to
3yrs using the provided lithium batteries,interference ,whilst not
impossible, is IME very rare and with costs coming down radio is a good diy
alternative to wiring numerous 6core cables into an unknown box.
If however you are cable literate then a good old fashioned hard wired
system is still the cheepest,most reliable system.

HTH
CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm looking to up-date my very old intruder alarms and quite like the
look
of a wireless set up. Does anyone know how reliable they are in that are
they prone to interference from other wireless devices e.g. mobiles,
internet connections, cordless phones etc?

Don't you already have the cabling installed for your current one?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Yes but to say that it is an untidy bodge job would be an understatement

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Fredrick Skoog wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to up-date my very old intruder alarms and quite like the
look of a wireless set up. Does anyone know how reliable they are in
that are they prone to interference from other wireless devices e.g.
mobiles, internet connections, cordless phones etc?

Thanks

We've had this ESP Infinite system in for about 2 years now and not a
single false alarm - and yes, it is working when I test it )

Seriously, it's very good and I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ain/index.html

Can I ask a couple of questions about that?

It doesn't seem to come with a bell or sounder, but can be used with an
existing bell box or a new bell box using ES WSM bell box module.

If you don't have an existing bell box you need the ES WSM and a ES WES bell
box/sounder?

Have I got that right? Or would you need either of the items listed under
the ES WSM?

Do these need a mains power supply?

Also, you can add the smoke/gas/flood detectors, would they trigger the bell
box/sounder?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
John wrote:
Fredrick Skoog wrote:
[...]

Hmm, no, I don't think you have. We have the ES KIT2 (main panel, PIRs etc)
and an ES WES, and that combination makes up a complete alarm system. I
think the ES WSM is to convert an existing wired external sounder to
wireless operation for use with the KIT2 panel.

Do these need a mains power supply?

Yes. They are wireless in terms of the signal to/from the alarm panel but,
although the ES WES has an internal battery, it's only for backup purposes
when there's a power outage.

Also, you can add the smoke/gas/flood detectors, would they trigger
the bell box/sounder?

I would assume so, but don't know for sure as we haven't got any of those.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
John wrote:
Fredrick Skoog wrote:
[...]

Ah, so the ES WES is a sounder. Not clear on the TLC site - not to me
anyway.

I think the ES WSM is to convert an existing wired
external sounder to wireless operation for use with the KIT2 panel.

Do these need a mains power supply?

Yes. They are wireless in terms of the signal to/from the alarm panel
but, although the ES WES has an internal battery, it's only for
backup purposes when there's a power outage.

Also, you can add the smoke/gas/flood detectors, would they trigger
the bell box/sounder?

I would assume so, but don't know for sure as we haven't got any of
those.

Thanks

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 20:26:19 +0100, "Fredrick Skoog"
wrote:

I'm looking to up-date my very old intruder alarms and quite like the look
of a wireless set up. Does anyone know how reliable they are in that are
they prone to interference from other wireless devices e.g. mobiles,
internet connections, cordless phones etc?

These days the cheaper ones mostly fail silent with interference so
you don't know there is any.

Unless you have someone prepared to check your house when it goes off
"bells only" systems are not particularly useful. The police won't
respond to reports of them going off and if you make the mistake of
telling your insurance company you have one it gives an excellent
excuse not to pay out if you need to make a claim and can't prove the
alarm activated.