Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Battery size converter - C to D available?

Hi All
you know those battery size converters you can get from Maplin etc. - a
plastic sleeve the size of (say) a D cell, into which you put an AA
battery, thereby converting it into a D cell of smaller capacity? Like
this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...urce=15&S D=Y

All the ones I've seen use AA cells. Well, I have some C size rechargables
which I want to use in a D cell Torch. Has anyone seen similar converters
which accept C cells?

Thanks
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All
you know those battery size converters you can get from Maplin etc. - a
plastic sleeve the size of (say) a D cell, into which you put an AA
battery, thereby converting it into a D cell of smaller capacity? Like
this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...urce=15&S D=Y

All the ones I've seen use AA cells. Well, I have some C size rechargables
which I want to use in a D cell Torch. Has anyone seen similar converters
which accept C cells?

Not heard of.

Those in the link look like AAA - AA, C, D.

These are AA- D:

http://www.budgetbatteries.co.uk/201...o-d-cells-x-4/

I note that AA are the same length as C and looking at the examples of
AA-D that I have here, it seems like a (rather difficult) machining job
might adapt them. If the radial spacing fins were removed right back to
the enclosing cylinder, 1-mm of some sort of wrapping would hold the C
cell in place.

I think.

Best regards,

Jon C.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...adapter&source....

http://www.budgetbatteries.co.uk/201...-to-convert-aa...

I note that AA are the same length as C *and looking at the examples of
AA-D that I have here, it seems like a (rather difficult) machining job
might adapt them. If the radial spacing fins were removed right back to
the enclosing cylinder, 1-mm of some sort of wrapping would hold the C
cell in place.

I think.

Best regards,

Jon C.

You could probably make convertors from cardboard glued well. Add wire
connectors, voila.

What I want is a laptop battery to cordless tool battery convertor.
Way more capacity.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:
[...]

but not at the sort of current you would be pulling laptop batteries are
not designed for that sort of abuse

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan Campbell wrote:

[...]

Not heard of.

Those in the link look like AAA - AA, C, D.

They're a mixtu AAA-AA, and AA-C, AA-D. I can't find anything other
than these.

[...]

I note that AA are the same length as C and looking at the examples of
AA-D that I have here, it seems like a (rather difficult) machining job
might adapt them. If the radial spacing fins were removed right back to
the enclosing cylinder, 1-mm of some sort of wrapping would hold the C
cell in place.

Yeah, this is pretty much my current plan. AA and C are *slightly* different
lengths but not enough to make a difference, I think.

I might split the AA-D adapters in half, making the machining out easier. A
bit of a faff though.

Thanks
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:
[...]

Yes. But in this case I'm willing to abuse them and see if they handle
it. Its that or they wont be used.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:25:45 -0700, meow2222 wrote:

On Aug 6, 5:55Â*pm, Jonathan Campbell wrote:
The Night Tripper wrote:

All the ones I've seen use AA cells. Well, I have some C size
rechargables which I want to use in a D cell Torch. Has anyone seen
similar converters which accept C cells?

Yes, came across a couple of mine today. But I don't know where you get
them.

I've made some in the past using a 35mm film capsule with a short fat nut
& bolt in the end to make the shorter C size reach the length of the
longer D's contacts.

--
John Stumbles

A backstreet vasectomy left me sterile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:

All the ones I've seen use AA cells. Well, I have some C size
rechargables which I want to use in a D cell Torch. Has anyone seen
similar converters which accept C cells?

Yes, came across a couple of mine today. But I don't know where you get
them.

I've made some in the past using a 35mm film capsule with a short fat nut
& bolt in the end to make the shorter C size reach the length of the
longer D's contacts.

To the OP. I've just had a look and the 35-mm film holder solution looks
like a lot easier solution than machining or hacking the AA-D
converter. Not that 35-mm film boxes will be easy to find unless you are
like me and never throw anything out.

Jon C.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 09:22:30 UTC, Jonathan Campbell
wrote:

converter. Not that 35-mm film boxes will be easy to find unless you are
like me and never throw anything out.

Go to Boots and ask. Last time I did so they had a drawerful and gave me
as many as I wanted. Trade is probably less these days, but they
probably still get them.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:

All the ones I've seen use AA cells. Well, I have some C size
rechargables which I want to use in a D cell Torch. Has anyone seen
similar converters which accept C cells?

Yes, came across a couple of mine today. But I don't know where you get
them.

I've made some in the past using a 35mm film capsule with a short fat nut
& bolt in the end to make the shorter C size reach the length of the
longer D's contacts.

To the OP. I've just had a look and the 35-mm film holder solution looks
like a lot easier solution than machining or hacking the AA-D
converter. Not that 35-mm film boxes will be easy to find unless you are
like me and never throw anything out.

It doesn't solve your problem, but I quite like this AA to D size
converter that actually uses *two* AA batteries, not just one:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The Night Tripper wrote:
[...]

they wont fast charge and are liable to catch fire if you abuse them,+
you need a special charger, if you over discharge them you kill them and
if you over charge them you can start a fire.

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:

Hi All
you know those battery size converters you can get from Maplin etc. - a
plastic sleeve the size of (say) a D cell, into which you put an AA
battery, thereby converting it into a D cell of smaller capacity? Like
this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...urce=15&S D=Y

All the ones I've seen use AA cells. Well, I have some C size rechargables
which I want to use in a D cell Torch. Has anyone seen similar converters
which accept C cells?

They are / were available. I bought some about 10 years ago, AA to D
size, all using the next size down. You could even stack them from AA to
D's. Wife lost them though.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 8, 12:20*am, Kevin wrote:
wrote:
The Night Tripper wrote:
[...]

wrong on all counts - unless you've got a convincing link that says
otherwise. BTW you didnt ask what battery type they are, they're NiMH.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Aug 8, 12:20 am, Kevin wrote:
wrote:
The Night Tripper wrote:
[...]

what Laptop these days has NiMh???? there are difernt type of LiPo cells
that this does not apply to, but I dont think there are in laptop
batteries yet

--
Kevin R
Reply address works