Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Self Levelling compound

Hi all.

Last time I used it i used Wickes and it was quite bad. Is there another
good latex SLC available to use thats easier to use and levels properly.
yeah I know its me but having read a few reviews about the Wickes stuff
everyone says to avoid it.

Thanks Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Samantha Booth wrote:
Hi all.

Last time I used it i used Wickes and it was quite bad. Is there another
good latex SLC available to use thats easier to use and levels properly.
yeah I know its me but having read a few reviews about the Wickes stuff
everyone says to avoid it.

Thanks Sam

None of it levels itself. It just smooths itself. Not the easiest job
for a beginner
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 15:20:05 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Samantha Booth wrote:
Hi all.

Last time I used it i used Wickes and it was quite bad. Is there another
good latex SLC available to use thats easier to use and levels properly.
yeah I know its me but having read a few reviews about the Wickes stuff
everyone says to avoid it.

Thanks Sam

None of it levels itself. It just smooths itself. Not the easiest job
for a beginner

It is a difficult concept to get across when all the bags say "self
leveling", but it doesn't. I have never understood how Advertising
Standards have let them get away with it for years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Samantha Booth wrote:
Hi all.

Last time I used it i used Wickes and it was quite bad. Is there
another good latex SLC available to use thats easier to use and
levels properly. yeah I know its me but having read a few reviews
about the Wickes stuff everyone says to avoid it.

Thanks Sam

None of it levels itself. It just smooths itself. Not the easiest job
for a beginner

It is a difficult concept to get across when all the bags say "self
leveling", but it doesn't. I have never understood how Advertising
Standards have let them get away with it for years.

Bit like 'self assembly' furniture.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

I'm no expert, but I've used this stuff (from Wickes) a few times
recently and it seems to get easier each time. Of course, it's
important to mix about the right amount for the area you're covering,
although it doesn't seem to give the volume claimed on the pack (it
seems to give me about half the depth per unit area they claim).
I put the right (measured) amount of water for a bag into a small
dustbin thingy that I have (about 3 times the size of a bucket), and
get someone else to pour the bag of powder in while I stir it with a
drill-powered mixer, then keep stirring until the mix is completely
smooth (perhaps 3 - 5 minutes).

Then I pour it about a square metre at a time and push it around
quickly to a rough level with a float, just to help it spread over the
whole surface, but not to attempt to give a flat finish. Then I leave
it for 24 hours to set.

It's never going to be completely flat and level but it's as good an
approximation as you'll ever get in my opinion. My first few attempts
were a disaster and I spent a lot of time sanding off the high points
and filling the lows but, looking back, I think that was the result of
getting the mix, and the mixing, wrong.

Good luck with your next go!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message
Hi all.

Last time I used it i used Wickes and it was quite bad. Is there another
good latex SLC available to use thats easier to use and levels properly.
yeah I know its me but having read a few reviews about the Wickes stuff
everyone says to avoid it.

Thanks Sam

Well this time I will be doing the entire room all at once

Also the Wickes stuff I just applied, the B&Q stuff says to get PVA down and
then apply the SLC when its tacky, I dont know if I can be bothered to do
that tbh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Samantha Booth wrote:
Hi all.

Last time I used it i used Wickes and it was quite bad. Is there
another good latex SLC available to use thats easier to use and
levels properly. yeah I know its me but having read a few reviews
about the Wickes stuff everyone says to avoid it.

Thanks Sam

None of it levels itself. It just smooths itself. Not the easiest job
for a beginner

It is a difficult concept to get across when all the bags say "self
leveling", but it doesn't. I have never understood how Advertising
Standards have let them get away with it for years.

Bit like 'self assembly' furniture.

YESSS!!

A very good one that )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message
Hi all.

Last time I used it i used Wickes and it was quite bad. Is there another
good latex SLC available to use thats easier to use and levels properly.
yeah I know its me but having read a few reviews about the Wickes stuff
everyone says to avoid it.

Thanks Sam

Hi Sammy,go to a builders yard for it next time. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 5 Aug, 19:49, "Samantha Booth" wrote:
"Samantha Booth" wrote in message

... Hi all.

Last time I used it i used Wickes and it was quite bad.////snip///

IMHE Wickes Latex is OK but ANY non-latex is NOT.

Well this time I will be doing the entire room all at once

Also the Wickes stuff I just applied, the B&Q stuff says to get PVA down and
then apply the SLC when its tacky, I dont know if I can be bothered to do
that tbh

Going by experience of (gypsum) plastering a wall, putting down one or
2 coats of PVA is possibly a very good idea.

Dilute the first coat 50% to 75% with cold water and brush on: allow
to dry for a few hours.

This will give quite a good barrier against moisture take up by the
floor, giving you more time for trowelling.

Coat two should be diluted 50% & the compound applied when the PVA is
touch dry. That will provide improved adhesion by the compound.

The self-levelling name is a misnomer. It is better described as self-
smoothing.

Lastly if the floor is really uneven, do the job in 2 stages. Fill
the worst valleys before a final overall coat.

In extreme cases (very, very rough or sloping floors) put screws into
the floor & level off them with a spirit level so that you have an
accurate guide. Remove screws & fill their holes when the screed is
dry.

good luck

HTH

When dry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Samantha Booth wrote:
Hi all.

Last time I used it i used Wickes and it was quite bad. Is there another
good latex SLC available to use thats easier to use and levels properly.
yeah I know its me but having read a few reviews about the Wickes stuff
everyone says to avoid it.

Note here are two that wickes do - one ordinary (about £8/bag) and a
Latex one (about £15). The latter is certainly better.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:

Going by experience of (gypsum) plastering a wall, putting down one or
2 coats of PVA is possibly a very good idea.

Dilute the first coat 50% to 75% with cold water and brush on: allow
to dry for a few hours.

To apply PVA quickly and easily, use a roller on a long pole and a
roller bucket. You can cover a floor or ceiling in a couple of mins flat.

Lastly if the floor is really uneven, do the job in 2 stages. Fill
the worst valleys before a final overall coat.

You can mix some sand with the SLC for deeper holes as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Samantha Booth wrote:
Hi all.

Last time I used it i used Wickes and it was quite bad. Is there
another good latex SLC available to use thats easier to use and levels
properly. yeah I know its me but having read a few reviews about the
Wickes stuff everyone says to avoid it.

Note here are two that wickes do - one ordinary (about £8/bag) and a
Latex one (about £15). The latter is certainly better.

The OP implied she was using the "latex" version. I can't see where pva
comes into the equation at all given that the supplied liquid is
normally SBR, which is superior to pva as a sealer and waterproofer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message
Hi all.

Last time I used it i used Wickes and it was quite bad. Is there another
good latex SLC available to use thats easier to use and levels properly.
yeah I know its me but having read a few reviews about the Wickes stuff
everyone says to avoid it.

Thanks Sam

Whats gone wrong?

The second lot i put down was great, the first not so. I think it was too
thick and didnt smooth out like it should.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Samantha Booth wrote:
Hi all.

Last time I used it i used Wickes and it was quite bad. Is there
another good latex SLC available to use thats easier to use and
levels properly. yeah I know its me but having read a few reviews
about the Wickes stuff everyone says to avoid it.

Note here are two that wickes do - one ordinary (about £8/bag) and a
Latex one (about £15). The latter is certainly better.

The OP implied she was using the "latex" version. I can't see where pva
comes into the equation at all given that the supplied liquid is
normally SBR, which is superior to pva as a sealer and waterproofer.

I have generally found the latex one from Wickes ok. Not tried the other
one though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
stuart noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Samantha Booth wrote:
Hi all.

Last time I used it i used Wickes and it was quite bad. Is there
another good latex SLC available to use thats easier to use and levels
properly. yeah I know its me but having read a few reviews about the
Wickes stuff everyone says to avoid it.

Note here are two that wickes do - one ordinary (about £8/bag) and a
Latex one (about £15). The latter is certainly better.

The OP implied she was using the "latex" version. I can't see where pva
comes into the equation at all given that the supplied liquid is normally
SBR, which is superior to pva as a sealer and waterproofer.

I have generally found the latex one from Wickes ok. Not tried the other
one though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Its probably me John i would say, not the Wickes stuff. i guess it only as
good as the person putting it down

floor levelling compound Arthur UK diy 2 March 11th 07 04:08 PM
Self levelling compound. Guy King UK diy 17 June 20th 06 09:30 PM
Self Levelling compound - advice? Ade UK diy 4 November 24th 05 12:20 AM
self levelling compound in2minds UK diy 4 February 8th 05 07:08 PM
Self-levelling floor compound Steve Gontarek UK diy 0 October 3rd 03 05:48 PM