Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q Folding French Doors - need an alternative!

These doors, that they sell at B&Q:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9676657&fh_view_ size=6&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&ts=1217 922792246

are seemingly ideal for our needs. They're like French Doors except in
multiple panels and the second panels also fold out. They're *not* the
bi/tri/vu-fold ones that are on tracks. Problem is they come veneered
and only in two colours, neither of which are ideal for us. So I've
tried in vain to find another supplier (or perhaps B&Q's actual
supplier), of the same thing, either in uPVC or wood or anything. I
can't find any doors that function in the same way!

Anyone recognise the style and know of any others? Thanks very much!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark Allett wrote:

These doors, that they sell at B&Q:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9676657&fh_view_ size=6&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&ts=1217 922792246

are seemingly ideal for our needs. They're like French Doors except in
multiple panels and the second panels also fold out. They're *not* the
bi/tri/vu-fold ones that are on tracks. Problem is they come veneered
and only in two colours, neither of which are ideal for us. So I've
tried in vain to find another supplier (or perhaps B&Q's actual
supplier), of the same thing, either in uPVC or wood or anything. I
can't find any doors that function in the same way!

Anyone recognise the style and know of any others? Thanks very much!

If a wood finish is ok could they be stained to the one you want?

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 9:42*am, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
* *Mark Allett wrote:

[...]

Wickes do a range online at http://www.wickes.co.uk/icat/pdextfrenchdr?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

* *Mark Allett wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but unfortunately none of those operate in the way in which
the B&Q ones do. The folding ones on the first page are the same as
the bi-fold ones, on a track. It means that when they're fully open,
they hang at 90deg to the house, which looks poor. The French ones
fold back. It's difficult to actually explain how they operate!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 9:01*am, Mark Allett wrote:
These doors, that they sell at B&Q:

Anyone recognise the style and know of any others? Thanks very much!

HAve you looked at them in store to see if there's evidence of the
manufacturers name?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Allett wrote:

[...]

Won't their ability to fold back be determined by the depth of the frame
within the brickwork? I have some French doors that 'could' open 180
degrees - but due to the brickwork they can only open to about 100 degrees.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 04:38:52 -0700 (PDT), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

On Aug 5, 9:01*am, Mark Allett wrote:
These doors, that they sell at B&Q:

Anyone recognise the style and know of any others? Thanks very much!

HAve you looked at them in store to see if there's evidence of the
manufacturers name?

Heh! Yeah, nothing that I could see. The hinges & bits were branded
IIRC but I suspect they were just third party bits anyway. Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 14:45:29 +0100, "John"
wrote:

"Mark Allett" wrote in message
.. .

Thanks, but unfortunately none of those operate in the way in which
the B&Q ones do. The folding ones on the first page are the same as
the bi-fold ones, on a track. It means that when they're fully open,
they hang at 90deg to the house, which looks poor. The French ones
fold back. It's difficult to actually explain how they operate!

Won't their ability to fold back be determined by the depth of the frame
within the brickwork? I have some French doors that 'could' open 180
degrees - but due to the brickwork they can only open to about 100 degrees.

Yes you're right. The hinges stuck out a little to allow the folding
behaviour though. In the display in the store, they don't fold back
properly because of the display itself, but you can see that they
would fold back most of the way if mounted correctly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Aug 5, 9:01*am, Mark Allett wrote:
These doors, that they sell at B&Q:

Anyone recognise the style and know of any others? Thanks very much!

HAve you looked at them in store to see if there's evidence of the
manufacturers name?

Heh! Yeah, nothing that I could see. The hinges & bits were branded
IIRC but I suspect they were just third party bits anyway. Thanks.

You could try asking for the contact details on the pretense of losing
the original documentation and needing to order a spare part.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Aug 5, 9:01*am, Mark Allett wrote:
These doors, that they sell at B&Q:

Anyone recognise the style and know of any others? Thanks very much!

HAve you looked at them in store to see if there's evidence of the
manufacturers name?

Heh! Yeah, nothing that I could see. The hinges & bits were branded
IIRC but I suspect they were just third party bits anyway. Thanks.

You could try asking for the contact details on the pretense of losing
the original documentation and needing to order a spare part.

I found out! You'll never guess what I did - I phoned B&Q and asked
them! And they were happy to tell me. Premium Timber Products in
Bristol do them (and a lot of their other stuff apparently).

Thanks guys