Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT : Gas/Electricity cost

A neighbour claims that an electric cooker would be cheaper to run than a
gas cooker (he's worried by the recent 35% increase in gas prices by
British Gas). I'm not so sure but can't find a way to check. Anyone know
for sure ?

TIA.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh Jampton wrote:
A neighbour claims that an electric cooker would be cheaper to run than a
gas cooker (he's worried by the recent 35% increase in gas prices by
British Gas). I'm not so sure but can't find a way to check. Anyone know
for sure ?

I'm not sure either but having had both I can believe that an electric
cooker is cheaper. The key point is that gas cookers are ventilated
as they need oxygen and so are lit and using gas for the whole duration
of the cooking. Electric ovens can be heavily insulated and use a
thermostat.

Guy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy Dawson" wrote in message
Hugh Jampton wrote:
A neighbour claims that an electric cooker would be cheaper to run than a
gas cooker (he's worried by the recent 35% increase in gas prices by
British Gas). I'm not so sure but can't find a way to check. Anyone know
for sure ?

I'm not sure either but having had both I can believe that an electric
cooker is cheaper. The key point is that gas cookers are ventilated
as they need oxygen and so are lit and using gas for the whole duration
of the cooking. Electric ovens can be heavily insulated and use a
thermostat.

but i know i'd much rather cook on gas than lecky anyday, with gas you
adjust the flame to get the heat you want, lecky it's on-off-on-off-on-off
all the time to hover around the temperature.

we've had gas all our lives, moved into an all electric place earlier this
year, and hated the lecky cooker, took longer to cook everything due to the
increased warm up time, and not being able to instiantly stop something
boiling over by turning the heat down took a lot of getting used to,

This was on a cheapo lecky cooker, nothing fancy like a halogen or induction
hob, but i'll take gas anyday, even paying extra to use it if needs be.

BTW all the gas ovens i've used have thermostats, just they alter the gas
consumption to meet the heat needs rather than turning on and off at full
power all the time like a lecky oven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gazz" wrote in message

"Guy Dawson" wrote in message
Hugh Jampton wrote:
[...]

Just two points to add:

a/ Gas cooker produces water vapour so cooked items tend to be moister
than in electic ovens - relevent to cakes etc

b/ Energy consumed by the average cooker tends to be orders of
magnitude lower than central heating - so probably he shouldn't panic.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"gazz" wrote in message
"Guy Dawson" wrote in message
Hugh Jampton wrote:
[...]

Gas cookers require better kitchen ventilation than electric. So whereas
with electric you can open the window or door, or use an extractor when
needed, with gas you have to have a permanent bloody great hole in the
wall. Loss of heat through that quite possibly (pure guess, no
calculation) exceeds any possible saving of using gas.

AIUI there have been two approaches to gas ovens. One has the flame
within the oven. In the other, the flame is in a separate space outside
the oven. So in the former, the water vapour does indeed contribute to
cake cookery, in the latter it is little different. (But good fan ovens
tend to be much more even than any gas oven I have used.) Not at all
sure if both types are still available?

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 22:08:09 +0100, Guy Dawson wrote:

A neighbour claims that an electric cooker would be cheaper to run than
a gas cooker (he's worried by the recent 35% increase in gas prices by
British Gas).

So switch to a differnt gas/electic supplier, BG are one of the most
expenisve out there. Note that BG profits may have fallen dramatically but
those of their owners Centrica are through the roof...

I'm not so sure but can't find a way to check. Anyone know for sure ?

Well the energy required to cook and pan of spuds is going to be roughly
the same no matter where that energy comes from so look at the bills and
see how much you pay per kwHr for electricty and gas. Almost certainly
8p/unit for electricity and 5p/unit for gas...

I'm not sure either but having had both I can believe that an electric
cooker is cheaper. The key point is that gas cookers are ventilated
as they need oxygen and so are lit and using gas for the whole duration
of the cooking.

But modulated down by the thermostat in the case of an oven or by the user
turning the gas down on the hob.

Electric ovens can be heavily insulated and use a thermostat.

Gas oven have thermostats as well...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:
"gazz" wrote in message
"Guy Dawson" wrote in message
Hugh Jampton wrote:
[...]

Had gas cooking now for 40 years and *never* had a vent in the wall just for
that - or had BG complain about one during their many annual visits.

Although BG did complain many years ago (1981 I think) when I blocked off
the vent in a room where a Baxi back-boiler was fitted- it was a bloody cold
winter-wind that year and the snow had drifted up to the upstairs windows of
two-story buildings (still got the photos)!

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 22:32:15 +0100, gazz wrote:

This was on a cheapo lecky cooker, nothing fancy like a halogen or
induction hob, but i'll take gas anyday,

So would I. Halogen still has a significant thermal mass to heat up and
cool down. Not as bad a solid hot plates though, they are awful. Not
played with an induction hob, that in theory should be more like gas for
cook cook, cookabilty.

The bang bang control of an electric hotplate is terrible as well. You
can't leave something alone on our hob set to the lowest setting for more
than 10 mins otherwise it will burn. In this day and age WTF can't they
have a linear control from full right down to almost nothing?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 00:07:48 +0100, Tanner-'op wrote:

Had gas cooking now for 40 years and *never* had a vent in the wall just
for that - or had BG complain about one during their many annual visits.

Quite, I don't think a normal cooker needs anything more than normal
kitchen ventilation. Mr Seritt will be along shortly I expect.

Although BG did complain many years ago (1981 I think) when I blocked
off the vent in a room where a Baxi back-boiler was fitted

Boilers are a different matter they do need a free flow of air, assuming
they are not room sealed.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas/Electricity cost

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
.. .
A neighbour claims that an electric cooker would be cheaper to run than a
gas cooker (he's worried by the recent 35% increase in gas prices by
British Gas). I'm not so sure but can't find a way to check. Anyone know
for sure ?

TIA.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

It's a shame he is not concerned enough to have ditched BG years ago when
they started
introducing price rises. The first one was 40%, then nother 40%, then 20%,
now another
30+%. He would be better off switching to a company that charges less - not
following
the crap advice by Martyn Lewis and paying EXTRA to stay with an already
expensive
company when the rest of us switch and save. I always wondered who he was
paid by!
I have saved hundreds by switching to a cheaper supplier around 3 years ago
and NOT
following advice to stay with BG, pay their increases and pay them extra so
they wouldn't
raise it for 12months. My supplier only raised prices by around 3%, so I
was paying
HALF of what I would have been following the bad advice from Martyn Lewis!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Andrew Mawson wrote:
"gazz" wrote in message
"Guy Dawson" wrote in message
Hugh Jampton wrote:
[...]

A permanet "bloody great hole in the wall" is only required if the volume
of the room is less than five cubic metres. If between 5 & 10 cubic metres
then an openable door/window is required. if greater than 10 cubic metres
then no permenant venelation is required.

AIUI there have been two approaches to gas ovens. One has the flame
within the oven. In the other, the flame is in a separate space outside
the oven. So in the former, the water vapour does indeed contribute to
cake cookery, in the latter it is little different. (But good fan ovens
tend to be much more even than any gas oven I have used.) Not at all
sure if both types are still available?

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh Jampton wrote:
A neighbour claims that an electric cooker would be cheaper to run than a
gas cooker (he's worried by the recent 35% increase in gas prices by
British Gas). I'm not so sure but can't find a way to check. Anyone know
for sure ?

TIA.

I only know oil versus electricity. Divide oil price in litres by ten
and compare with a unit of electricity..

If you can work out the price and energy content of a unit of gas, in
KWH, you should be close anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

gazz wrote:

"Guy Dawson" wrote in message
Hugh Jampton wrote:
[...]

Gas is easier because of te fast response time: you need to plan ahead
with electric. Howveer once you have learnt to do that, and to simply
remove pans from the hob to stop them boiling over, it gets easier. In
the end there isn't much difference except wok cooking: very hard to get
hot SIDES to a wok on an electric cooker.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 01:26:00 +0100, "JD" wrote:

snip

My supplier only raised prices by around 3%, so I
was paying
HALF of what I would have been following the bad advice from Martyn Lewis!

Perhaps you will be kind enough to share with the impoverished the
name of the Gas and Electricity supplier whose kWh rates are half that
of others
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Heliotrope Smith wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
Andrew Mawson wrote:
"gazz" wrote in message
"Guy Dawson" wrote in message
Hugh Jampton wrote:
[...]

Accepted that the internal/external and room sizes are important in
defining the ventilation required. Was recalling a small, internal
kitchen which had required extra permanent external ventilation.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 22:32:15 +0100, gazz wrote:

This was on a cheapo lecky cooker, nothing fancy like a halogen or
induction hob, but i'll take gas anyday,

So would I. Halogen still has a significant thermal mass to heat up and
cool down. Not as bad a solid hot plates though, they are awful. Not
played with an induction hob, that in theory should be more like gas for
cook cook, cookabilty.

Do you remember "the milk test"? (from Gas advertising on TV in the 1970's)
Our induction hob easily passes it.

Of course the only thermal mass with induction is in the pans themselves and
(minimally) in the glass top. They must be pretty well as efficient as you
can get with electricity.

BTW having used induction for a few years, there is NO WAY we would revert
to gas for numerous reasons.

The bang bang control of an electric hotplate is terrible as well. You
can't leave something alone on our hob set to the lowest setting for more
than 10 mins otherwise it will burn. In this day and age WTF can't they
have a linear control from full right down to almost nothing?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 07:09:27 +0100, Edward W. Thompson wrote:

Perhaps you will be kind enough to share with the impoverished the
name of the Gas and Electricity supplier whose kWh rates are half that
of others

It's not easy to do as there is an element of postcode lottery in the
pricing of energy, what any given supplier charges varies by region. The
best bet is to visit several of the switching web sites and see what they
come up with. Ideally you need your energy consumption for the last twelve
months. Also don't trust the figures shown check the tarrif details
particulary in respect of standing charges (seperate or included in the
first x units). I think there is only one true "standing charge free"
tarrif out there from Ebico - Equipower but this is only really useful if
your useage is fairly low as the cost per unit, though fixed for all
units, is higher than the cheapest normal type tarrifs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 21:36:14 +0100, Hugh Jampton wrote:
A neighbour claims that an electric cooker would be cheaper to run than a
gas cooker (he's worried by the recent 35% increase in gas prices by
British Gas). I'm not so sure but can't find a way to check. Anyone know
for sure ?

TIA.

Answer: check you bills.
Both Gas and Electricity are priced in pence per kWh. Once you get past
the high cost of the first few kWh's gas comes out at between 3 - 4
pence per kWh and electricity is about 12p.
So, simplistically, assuming it takes the same amount of energy to
boil and egg - and that your cookers are like-for-like then gas still
comes out cheaper.

.. Pete Lynch I have learned from my mistakes and
.. Marlow ... I am sure I can repeat them exactly
.. www.pete-lynch.com --- Peter Cooke.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 10:19:59 GMT, Peter Lynch wrote:

and electricity is about 12p.

How much? I pay 8.415p/unit for our power from Scottish Power and only
10.67p/unit on Equipower. The E7 Equipower *day* rate is only
13.18p/unit... (+ 5% VAT).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think there is only one true "standing charge free"
tarrif out there from Ebico - Equipower but this is only really useful if
your useage is fairly low as the cost per unit, though fixed for all
units, is higher than the cheapest normal type tarrifs.

While it might be a touch higher (i'm with them for both gas and elec)
it's nice to see that any excess left over (they're non-profit) in the
kitty is dished out to support community housing etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

and electricity is about 12p.
How much? I pay 8.415p/unit for our power from Scottish Power and only
10.67p/unit on Equipower

It may depend on the additional network operator charges set by the
regulator (whereby whoever owns the network gets a certain amount per
unit, irrespective of whether they're the supplier)

If the guy paying 12p/unit is out in the sticks, it makes sense that
the network is more expensive to operate than one where most cable is
underground in an urban area.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 18:16:18 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

and electricity is about 12p.

How much? I pay 8.415p/unit for our power from Scottish Power and only
10.67p/unit on Equipower

It may depend on the additional network operator charges set by the
regulator (whereby whoever owns the network gets a certain amount per
unit, irrespective of whether they're the supplier)

If the guy paying 12p/unit is out in the sticks,

You can't get much more "out in the sticks" than I am, middle or the North
Pennines, they don't call it "Englands Last Wilderness" with out reason.
Go south from here and you cross one minor road and then nothing but open
fell for 10miles or so, same if you head to the north west. Other
directions it drops to only a few miles of "nothing".

Any way from looking at the spread of prices across the REC regions it's
only about 2p. So that 12p/unit is still expensive, the most expensive
Equipower tarrif is 12.11p in the SWALEC area but remember there is no
standing charge which adds roughly (depends on your useage) 1p/unit.

it makes sense that the network is more expensive to operate than one
where most cable is underground in an urban area.

Actually it's probably cheaper out in the sticks as far as maintenance is
concerned. Digging holes in the ground is slow and expensive, sticking a
ladder against a couple of pole is quick and cheap. Of course there are
less customers to spread those costs over out in the sticks.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 10:19:59 GMT, Peter Lynch wrote:

Answer: check you bills.
Both Gas and Electricity are priced in pence per kWh. Once you get past
the high cost of the first few kWh's gas comes out at between 3 - 4
pence per kWh and electricity is about 12p.
So, simplistically, assuming it takes the same amount of energy to
boil and egg - and that your cookers are like-for-like then gas still
comes out cheaper.

Thanks.

That answers my question. Neighbour say thanks too - rather than use his
gas hob he was about to buy an electric hob because his wife insisted
they'd save money :-( (She rules)
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any way from looking at the spread of prices across the REC regions it's
only about 2p. So that 12p/unit is still expensive, the most expensive
Equipower tarrif is 12.11p in the SWALEC area but remember there is no
standing charge which adds roughly (depends on your useage) 1p/unit.

it makes sense that the network is more expensive to operate than one
where most cable is underground in an urban area.

Actually it's probably cheaper out in the sticks as far as maintenance is
concerned. Digging holes in the ground is slow and expensive, sticking a
ladder against a couple of pole is quick and cheap.
Of course there are
less customers to spread those costs over out in the sticks.

Indeed.

Does anyone here use British Gas Click 5 tariff for leccy only?. If you
use a fair old bit (10,000) units a year it seems to be the cheapest
deal around.

Maybe too good to be true so anyone?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 08:42:23 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Does anyone here use British Gas Click 5 tariff for leccy only?. If you
use a fair old bit (10,000) units a year it seems to be the cheapest
deal around.

Well a quick look at the pricing didn't look particulary competative
against Scottish Power online paperless monthly direct debit. The standing
charge is a fair bit higher even if the unit rate about a penny less. I
didn't spot any additional discounts for 10,000 units/annum but I didn't
read all the small print.

Also looked at the fixed until 2011 thingy, 12p/unit but the standing
charge is about the same as SP. Not worth the agro of switching
particulary as money is tight now, the switch would add about £70 to our
quarterly electricity bill...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 17:46:51 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 08:42:23 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Does anyone here use British Gas Click 5 tariff for leccy only?. If you
use a fair old bit (10,000) units a year it seems to be the cheapest
deal around.

Well a quick look at the pricing didn't look particulary competative
against Scottish Power online paperless monthly direct debit. The standing
charge is a fair bit higher even if the unit rate about a penny less. I
didn't spot any additional discounts for 10,000 units/annum but I didn't
read all the small print.

Also looked at the fixed until 2011 thingy, 12p/unit but the standing
charge is about the same as SP. Not worth the agro of switching
particulary as money is tight now, the switch would add about £70 to our
quarterly electricity bill...

That's the thing about switching to a fixed deal ..You pay through the
nose for doing so in the meantime .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug, 08:51, "Vortex3" wrote:
[...]

Dave.- Hide quoted text -

Hi,

I also am fixing up my kitchen and fitting a new hob im not sure if
this helps but i got a great deal on a induction hob from http://www.truerooms.com/
they offer free UK delivery. They also do gas hobs

Hope this helps,

John.