DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   12V car cig lighter adapters - safe? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/256656-12v-car-cig-lighter-adapters-safe.html)

Lobster July 28th 08 06:46 PM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

My family have a fair number of electrical devices ranging from mobile
phones to electronic games to fridges, all of which lend themselves to
being able to be powered or charged on the road by a 12V cigarette
lighter adapter.

My question is, how safe are these adapters in terms of risking possible
damage to the device in question? I read about 'surges' in power from
the car; if so, is it down to circuitry built in to the device in
question to protect itself from that? Or should such protection be
built into the actual adapter?

Is it risky to buy a 'cheapo' aftermarket adapter in place of the device
manufacturer - might that be a more dangerous proposition than buying an
'original' item? If so, how can you tell what's safe, other than by
spending as much cash as possible? Can an existing adapter be tested
for this?

Thanks
David

Lobster July 28th 08 09:50 PM

Graham wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
My family have a fair number of electrical devices ranging from mobile
phones to electronic games to fridges, all of which lend themselves to
being able to be powered or charged on the road by a 12V cigarette
lighter adapter.

My question is, how safe are these adapters in terms of risking possible
damage to the device in question?

I've never had any problem with damage to delicate equipment like phones or
satnav. Its a wise precaution to connect the ciggy plug before connecting
the equipment just incase the power goes on and off a few times as you plug
it in, but I've never had any problem.

I read about 'surges' in power from
the car; if so, is it down to circuitry built in to the device in
question to protect itself from that? Or should such protection be
built into the actual adapter?

Varies. Some adaptor leads have a regulator inside to bring voltage down to
what the equipment needs and this will give protection, but from what?
Alternator going overvolts will be sunk into the battery, so impossible to
go above the battery terminal voltage.

Is it risky to buy a 'cheapo' aftermarket adapter in place of the device
manufacturer - might that be a more dangerous proposition than buying an
'original' item? If so, how can you tell what's safe, other than by
spending as much cash as possible? Can an existing adapter be tested
for this?

I'm not concerned, but as you obviously are, then it would seem best to use
the branded manufacturers lead, but I wouldn't bother myself as never had
any problem. Just connect the ciggy plug first to prevent any problem with
the power going on and off rapidly while the equipment is connected.

Thanks for the response. I'm not so much "concerned" as ignorant! and
seeking advice as to whether it's an issue or not. I've certainly used
quite a few adaptors myself for different deviced without problems, and
other than *possibly* a camping fridge which expired under warranty
under dubious circumstances. I've recently bought a notebook computer
which would be by far the most expensive device to charge from the car;
hence the current interest.

David

[email protected] July 28th 08 10:13 PM

On Jul 28, 9:50*pm, Lobster wrote:
Graham wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

Its certainly an issue, car electrics are very hostile in terms of
transients, and lots of appliances just dont survive them. FWIW if the
car is switched off the nasty transients dont happen, but thats a less
than reliable way to avoid the problem.

Consider the cost of incorporating protection into an adaptor, and
what youre paying for one. I'd be cautious before running anything not
bulletproof on car 12v, as for a laptop noooooo. If the appliance in
question comes with a car connector then its usually designed to
tolerate car supplies, but if not its a risky strategy.

If you want to run masses of appliances from the car, a small SLA with
a 2 way switch would solve the problem - the switch enables it to
connect to either car electrics or appliance, but never both. 12v SLAs
tolerate lower charge voltage than car batteries, so a series diode
would be wanted.

Nicads could also be used in pricniple, but there are then more
complex charging issues to deal with.

NT

George \(dicegeorge\) July 28th 08 10:54 PM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

i think the biggest danger with 12volt devices
is of fire,
if a wire is too thin it can get hot
and burn plastic -
it happened to me with my car second battery charger-
i had a fuse on one battery but not on the second-
whooops

--

[george]

~

Dave Plowman (News) July 29th 08 12:23 AM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
My family have a fair number of electrical devices ranging from mobile
phones to electronic games to fridges, all of which lend themselves to
being able to be powered or charged on the road by a 12V cigarette
lighter adapter.

My question is, how safe are these adapters in terms of risking possible
damage to the device in question? I read about 'surges' in power from
the car; if so, is it down to circuitry built in to the device in
question to protect itself from that? Or should such protection be
built into the actual adapter?

I'm not quite sure how you'd get 'surges' in power in a car, given it has
an extremely low impedance vast capacitor sitting across the line - the
battery. And I'd also say anything fitted with a fag lighter plug is
designed to work with car electrics - it's not a standard used elsewhere.
So yes - most will have some form of regulation either in the plug or the
device itself, as phones and Tom Toms etc don't have 12 volt internal
batteries.

Is it risky to buy a 'cheapo' aftermarket adapter in place of the device
manufacturer - might that be a more dangerous proposition than buying an
'original' item? If so, how can you tell what's safe, other than by
spending as much cash as possible? Can an existing adapter be tested
for this?

You mean a connecting lead for say a phone which isn't a genuine maker's
accessory? Could be anything. So I'd buy it from a reputable source.

Thanks
David

--
*Is there another word for synonym?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News) July 29th 08 12:27 AM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

In article
,
wrote:
Its certainly an issue, car electrics are very hostile in terms of
transients, and lots of appliances just dont survive them.

What, for example? Most of the things you plug into a fag socket don't
actually run off 12 volts so will have voltage regulation somewhere -
either internal or in the lead. And a standard regulator will cope with
about 40 volts.
Most cars these days are packed with electronics. They seem to survive
this 'hostile' environment ok.

--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

Duncan Wood[_3_] July 29th 08 07:38 AM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 00:27:12 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article
,
wrote:
Its certainly an issue, car electrics are very hostile in terms of
transients, and lots of appliances just dont survive them.

What, for example? Most of the things you plug into a fag socket don't
actually run off 12 volts so will have voltage regulation somewhere -
either internal or in the lead. And a standard regulator will cope with
about 40 volts.
Most cars these days are packed with electronics. They seem to survive
this 'hostile' environment ok.

& if the batteries connected it provides rather good transient protection.

Chris Whelan July 29th 08 07:49 AM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

[...]

I'm not quite sure how you'd get 'surges' in power in a car, given it has
an extremely low impedance vast capacitor sitting across the line - the
battery.

Unless the battery terminal to cable connection is poor, of course!

;-)

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Graham July 29th 08 08:05 AM

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
i think the biggest danger with 12volt devices
is of fire,
if a wire is too thin it can get hot and burn plastic -
it happened to me with my car second battery charger-
i had a fuse on one battery but not on the second-
whooops

That is why there should always be a fuse as close to the battery as
possible. Close to battery so there is only the smallest length of wire
unprotected from a short should the insulation chaff and touch the body. Its
surprising how often long lengths are left completely unprotected or naively
fused at the far end. By all means fuse at lower amperage at the far end,
but there must always be a fuse at the battery end to blow if a short to the
body along the cable run. These days cars have a fusible link next to the
battery terminal, but this is designed to stop wiring catching fire and a
very high current rating, so not to be relied on for protection. Pick up
power after the fuse box or if for some reason its needed to connect
directly to the battery, say because its a very powerful piece of equipment
like an inverter or ridiculously powerful car audio system, then put a fuse
within an inch or two of the battery.

Graham

Dave Plowman (News) July 29th 08 08:47 AM

George \(dicegeorge\) wrote:
i think the biggest danger with 12volt devices
is of fire,
if a wire is too thin it can get hot
and burn plastic -
it happened to me with my car second battery charger-
i had a fuse on one battery but not on the second-
whooops

Fag lighter adaptors have a fuse built in.

But simply don't use wire not up to the job in hand.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Grimly Curmudgeon July 29th 08 12:17 PM

Utter and total bull****e.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

Geo[_2_] July 29th 08 12:39 PM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:46:34 +0100, Lobster
wrote:

My question is, how safe are these adapters in terms of risking possible
damage to the device in question? I read about 'surges' in power from
the car;

snip
AFAIK
The main source of surge/spike is when the starter motor stops turning - all
those amps used to create the magnetic field have to go somewhere fast...
On light aircraft, the rule is all avionics OFF until the engine has started.
I neglected to turn off one item once and was rewarded with a fascinating
display of random numbers/symbols (luckily no permanent damage)
Just checked my car - the radio and cigar lighter power is disconnected from the
supply while the engine is being started.
I think you would probably be ok but if in doubt, just pull the plug out until
engine running - this assumes you don't have any unusual heavy electrical items
connected e.g. motors, large solenoids etc.

Geo

[email protected] July 29th 08 01:00 PM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

On Jul 29, 12:27*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* wrote:

Its certainly an issue, car electrics are very hostile in terms of
transients, and lots of appliances just dont survive them.

What, for example?

Anything electronic that isnt specifically designed to run on car
systems. Also some things that are - cost cutting invertors for
example tend to lack the ability to survive all transients, hence wont
last forever.

*Most of the things you plug into a fag socket don't
actually run off 12 volts so will have voltage regulation somewhere -
either internal or in the lead. And a standard regulator will cope with
about 40 volts.

which isnt sufficient.

*Most cars these days are packed with electronics. They seem to survive
this 'hostile' environment ok.

Theyre designed to. They have input filters that can cope with +_60v.

Cars have a high current inductive power source, the alternator, and
the battery isnt close enough to eliminate substantial high frequency
overvoltage transients in the event of load dump. This is fairly basic
electronics stuff, maybe the OP should ask in sci.electronics.basics.
Diy and electronics really are 2 different animals, and ukdiy is not
an electronics expert group.

NT

Rod July 29th 08 01:06 PM

wrote:

[...]

But would that apply if, for example, you were trying to restart the
engine in flight?

--
Rod

onset.

Dave Plowman (News) July 29th 08 01:20 PM

wrote:
Its certainly an issue, car electrics are very hostile in terms of
transients, and lots of appliances just dont survive them.

What, for example?

Anything electronic that isnt specifically designed to run on car
systems.

Then it won't come with a fag lighter plug?

Also some things that are - cost cutting invertors for
example tend to lack the ability to survive all transients, hence wont
last forever.

More likely damaged by overload. You'd be hard pressed to find mosfets
that can be damaged by the sort of voltage spikes found in a car.

Most of the things you plug into a fag socket don't
actually run off 12 volts so will have voltage regulation somewhere -
either internal or in the lead. And a standard regulator will cope with
about 40 volts.

which isnt sufficient.

Then every other piece of electronics will die too. Have you never built
any car electronics - or is this some theory plucked from the air?

Most cars these days are packed with electronics. They seem to survive
this 'hostile' environment ok.

Theyre designed to. They have input filters that can cope with +_60v.

Ah so now we have a figure. Can I ask where the 60 volts comes from?

Cars have a high current inductive power source, the alternator, and
the battery isnt close enough to eliminate substantial high frequency
overvoltage transients in the event of load dump. This is fairly basic
electronics stuff, maybe the OP should ask in sci.electronics.basics.
Diy and electronics really are 2 different animals, and ukdiy is not
an electronics expert group.

There's lots of these theories doing the rounds that simply don't happen
in practice. And yes, I have looked at several car systems with a 'scope.
Of course you get rubbish on it otherwise there's be no need to filter
amplifier supplies etc - but those spikes ain't capable of doing damage.

--
*I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Geo[_2_] July 29th 08 01:23 PM

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:06:40 +0100, Rod wrote:

But would that apply if, for example, you were trying to restart the
engine in flight?

Yes - the only supply required from the battery is the starter motor - ignition
is from two independent magnetos (2 plugs per cylinder).

Geo

Rod July 29th 08 01:43 PM

Geo wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:06:40 +0100, Rod wrote:

But would that apply if, for example, you were trying to restart the
engine in flight?

Yes - the only supply required from the battery is the starter motor - ignition
is from two independent magnetos (2 plugs per cylinder).

Geo

I meant, would it be OK to turn off all avionics while struggling to get
the engine running again. I imagine that would include altimeter, radio,
etc.?

I know nothing about aircraft but am thinking that the systems will be
broadly similar to cars - when the engine is not running, all ancillary
equipment will run off battery?

--
Rod

onset.

Geo[_2_] July 29th 08 01:51 PM

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:43:18 +0100, Rod wrote:

I meant, would it be OK to turn off all avionics while struggling to get
the engine running again. I imagine that would include altimeter, radio,
etc.?

Yes - I am talking small (say 4 seat) aircraft in good weather.
The aircraft will fly with basic instruments without battery power.
Altimeter, airspeed and compass.
Generally only two flight instruments are battery powered (in common
Cessnas/Pipers) the direction indicator gyro and the turn/slip indicator.
The other (avionics)stuff is mostly for flying when you can't see anything out
of the window.
I know nothing about aircraft but am thinking that the systems will be
broadly similar to cars - when the engine is not running, all ancillary
equipment will run off battery?

That is correct - in the event of alternator failure (for example) all
unecessary stuff is switched off to conserve battery power for a couple of radio
calls before landing at the nearest airfield.

Geo

Duncan Wood[_3_] July 29th 08 02:33 PM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:20:43 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article
,
wrote:
[...]

Last time looked it was 55V (TI automotive spec for semiconducters)

Cars have a high current inductive power source, the alternator, and
the battery isnt close enough to eliminate substantial high frequency
overvoltage transients in the event of load dump. This is fairly basic
electronics stuff, maybe the OP should ask in sci.electronics.basics.
Diy and electronics really are 2 different animals, and ukdiy is not
an electronics expert group.

There's lots of these theories doing the rounds that simply don't happen
in practice. And yes, I have looked at several car systems with a 'scope.
Of course you get rubbish on it otherwise there's be no need to filter
amplifier supplies etc - but those spikes ain't capable of doing damage.

Well the installed stuff's normally designed to cope with far worse
situations than you normally ever see. But if you're worried a couple of
16V Zeners or VDRs are hardly expensive.

Duncan Wood[_3_] July 29th 08 02:36 PM

wrote:

My question is, how safe are these adapters in terms of risking possible
damage to the device in question? I read about 'surges' in power from
the car;

snip
AFAIK
The main source of surge/spike is when the starter motor stops turning -
all
those amps used to create the magnetic field have to go somewhere fast...

Across the switch contacts unless you've wired it oddly.

On light aircraft, the rule is all avionics OFF until the engine has
started.
I neglected to turn off one item once and was rewarded with a fascinating
display of random numbers/symbols (luckily no permanent damage)
Just checked my car - the radio and cigar lighter power is disconnected
from the
supply while the engine is being started.

That's to maximise the available current though :-)

Gel July 29th 08 05:42 PM

wrote:

[...]

My past satnav had definite instruction that not to plug in, until car
started.
My current Tom Tom has no such request.

That's to maximise the available current though :-)

I think you would probably be ok but if in doubt, just pull the plug out *
until
engine running - this assumes you don't have any unusual heavy *
electrical items
connected e.g. motors, large solenoids etc.

Geo- Hide quoted text -

robgraham July 29th 08 06:25 PM

wrote:

[...]

There's lots of good comments here and several concerns that are based
on urban myth. Just as much as there will be filtering on the inputs
to car electronic boxes, there will be powerful filtering across the
likes of the starter motor, etc. EMC/RFI testing looks at the
response on the inputs to surges, spikes, etc, but also makes sure
that supply lines and the likes do not generate and propagate
interference. So testing is a two way activity - in and out.

The real cruncher is that no-one at all has made a statement about
experiencing any such failures - or knowing anyone who has, or hearing
of any such failure through the likes of this inter-webby thing. The
conclusion surely is therefore that it just doesn't happen.

I quite happily have my satnav and mobile on charge while starting and
driving - I would really doubt that anyone would want to have a laptop
running while starting the car, but as they too have a dirty great
'capacitor' across the supply I wouldn't have thought problems would
have occurred.

Rob

Dave Plowman (News) July 29th 08 06:47 PM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

In article op.ue12mknhhaghkf@lucy,
Duncan Wood wrote:
Ah so now we have a figure. Can I ask where the 60 volts comes from?

Last time looked it was 55V (TI automotive spec for semiconducters)

I gave the figure of 40 volts for a bog standard regulator - but of course
that's the differential. So if regulating to 9 volts the peak would be 49.
And of course it's simple to increase this if needed.

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

David Taylor July 29th 08 07:09 PM

On 2008-07-29, Duncan Wood wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:20:43 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

Cars have a high current inductive power source, the alternator, and
the battery isnt close enough to eliminate substantial high frequency
overvoltage transients in the event of load dump. This is fairly basic
electronics stuff, maybe the OP should ask in sci.electronics.basics.
Diy and electronics really are 2 different animals, and ukdiy is not
an electronics expert group.

There's lots of these theories doing the rounds that simply don't happen
in practice. And yes, I have looked at several car systems with a 'scope.
Of course you get rubbish on it otherwise there's be no need to filter
amplifier supplies etc - but those spikes ain't capable of doing damage.

Well the installed stuff's normally designed to cope with far worse
situations than you normally ever see. But if you're worried a couple of
16V Zeners or VDRs are hardly expensive.

My opinion would be that most stuff without a particularly fragile
voltage regulator would be fine running on 12V from the cigarette
lighter socket. OTOH, devices which have sensor wires running all over
the car (not your general in-car entertainment devices, etc.) may have
problems. They have to be designed to withstand a lot of noise on any
signals and potentially harmful induced voltages on inputs.

--
David Taylor

Graham July 29th 08 08:53 PM

"robgraham" wrote in message

The real cruncher is that no-one at all has made a statement about
experiencing any such failures - or knowing anyone who has, or hearing
of any such failure through the likes of this inter-webby thing. The
conclusion surely is therefore that it just doesn't happen.

I quite happily have my satnav and mobile on charge while starting and
driving - I would really doubt that anyone would want to have a laptop
running while starting the car, but as they too have a dirty great
'capacitor' across the supply I wouldn't have thought problems would
have occurred.

Agreed. I have used all sorts of vulnerable equipment in all sorts of cars
going back 30 years and never had any hint of the car causing spikes that
could damage anything. I've been building all sorts of electronic stuff for
years and long before regulators were available in a single 3 pin package so
most of the stuff didn't have a regulator and was designed to run straight
off the car. The only time you would go to the trouble of actually building
a regulator was if it needed a fixed voltage for stable operator as in an
oscillator for instance.

I'd find it difficult to list all the equipment I've used in the car, but it
goes from valve transmitters, through to home built transistor transmitters
and receivers, transistor RF power amps, boards with switching and logic and
god knows what else. Never has the car enviroment been problem beyond the
slightly varying supply voltage, possible RF interferrence from ignition and
protection from reverse polarity of the supply leads. Never has anything
gone bang when starting the car due to the starter motor back emf. I have
never encountered any mention of that in all the
electronic/communications/broadcasting companies I have worked for and
frankly think it gets sinked back into the battery long before it could do
any damage. Its just never been an issue anyone has ever mentioned as it is
not a problem anyone has had.

Graham

[email protected] July 29th 08 09:01 PM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

On Jul 29, 1:20*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* wrote:

[...]

How did you trigger the load dump events for these measurements?

NT

Graham July 29th 08 09:53 PM

wrote in message
On Jul 29, 1:20 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

[...]

What???

He stuck a scope across the suppy and looked at the noise and spikes. End
off.

Graham

Dave Plowman (News) July 29th 08 11:23 PM

Graham wrote:
I'd find it difficult to list all the equipment I've used in the car,
but it goes from valve transmitters, through to home built transistor
transmitters and receivers, transistor RF power amps, boards with
switching and logic and god knows what else. Never has the car
enviroment been problem beyond the slightly varying supply voltage,
possible RF interferrence from ignition and protection from reverse
polarity of the supply leads. Never has anything gone bang when
starting the car due to the starter motor back emf. I have never
encountered any mention of that in all the
electronic/communications/broadcasting companies I have worked for and
frankly think it gets sinked back into the battery long before it could
do any damage. Its just never been an issue anyone has ever mentioned
as it is not a problem anyone has had.

My experience too.

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman (News) July 29th 08 11:27 PM

wrote:
Cars have a high current inductive power source, the alternator, and
the battery isnt close enough to eliminate substantial high
frequency overvoltage transients in the event of load dump. This is
fairly basic electronics stuff, maybe the OP should ask in
sci.electronics.basics. Diy and electronics really are 2 different
animals, and ukdiy is not an electronics expert group.

There's lots of these theories doing the rounds that simply don't
happen in practice. And yes, I have looked at several car systems with
a 'scope. Of course you get rubbish on it otherwise there's be no
need to filter amplifier supplies etc - but those spikes ain't capable
of doing damage.

How did you trigger the load dump events for these measurements?

I didn't. I simply don't go around disconnecting alternators with the
engine running. I try and design stuff to be foolproof, idiot proof even -
but not c**t proof.

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

w_tom July 29th 08 11:54 PM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

On Jul 28, 7:23*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
I'm not quite sure how you'd get 'surges' in power in a car, given it has
an extremely low impedance vast capacitor sitting across the line - the
battery.

Assumptions contradict well proven standards. Load dump is defined
up to 270 volts on the 12 volts. All car electronics includes designs
to make load dump irrelevant. But some appliances selling on the
cheap may simply forget that option.

Most all semiconductor manufacturers make power supply chips so that
12 volts can supply regulated voltages to electronics. Then they make
special versions for automotive use due to higher voltages such as
load dump. National Semiconductor has a specific line just for
automotive use. Does you adaptor manufacturer used the standard and
cheap voltage regulators - or those designed for automotive use.

Standards that define load dump including SAE J1455 and ISO
7637-1. Load dump can be defined by:
Peak voltage 80 to 100 volts
Duration 300 to 400 milliseconds
Series resistance 0.2 to 1 ohms

Some designs call for a protection circuit that can withstand up to
270 volts and 50 joules. Why do some manufacturers sell the
equivalent 12 volt power source for more money? What does the
manufacturer spec say about load dump?

Man at B&Q July 30th 08 12:25 PM

wrote:

I'm not quite sure how you'd get 'surges' in power in a car, given it has
an extremely low impedance vast capacitor sitting across the line - the
battery.

* Assumptions contradict well proven standards. *Load dump is defined
up to 270 volts on the 12 volts. *All car electronics includes designs
to make load dump irrelevant. *But some appliances selling on the
cheap may simply forget that option.

* Most all semiconductor manufacturers make power supply chips so that
12 volts can supply regulated voltages to electronics. *Then they make
special versions for automotive use due to higher voltages such as
load dump. *National Semiconductor has a specific line just for
automotive use. *Does you adaptor manufacturer used the standard and
cheap voltage regulators - or those designed for automotive use.

Very often, there's feck all difference between parts supplied for
normal or other environments. It's just not economical to do
otherwise. Look at the way the supply of "military" grade silicon
virtually disappeared.

Selling into the automotive market relies on implementing, and being
able to prove you've implemented very strict QA processes. Another
aspect is traceability of supply. Don't even mention the liability
terms that automotive manufacturers will try to apply.

MBQ

[email protected] July 30th 08 01:53 PM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

On Jul 29, 11:27*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* wrote:

[...]

That would explain your failure to see the spikes. Try repeatedly
switching off the rear window heater while measuring next time. Then
try it for real: switch off all accessories and waggle the loose
battery connection. Dont have your laptop connected :)

If the op wants to play chance games with their lappy they can, but at
least they're more aware of the problem now.

If these events didnt occur IRL no-one would write about them, and car
electronics designers wouldnt design equipment to withstand them. They
do.

NT

[email protected] July 30th 08 02:04 PM

On Jul 29, 8:53*pm, "Graham" wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

[...]

Disconnection of the starter motor is not the problem. The inductive
current source is the alternator, and this is producing more or less
nothing during starting.

NT

Duncan Wood[_3_] July 30th 08 02:17 PM

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:53:04 +0100, wrote:

On Jul 29, 11:27*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* wrote:

[...]

Most of us here don't have loose battery connections.

Graham July 30th 08 06:07 PM

wrote in message
On Jul 29, 8:53 pm, "Graham" wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

[...]

So as previously stated, there is no problem. You carry on with your bad
self and I'll carry on without the problems I've not had.

Graham

Dave Plowman (News) July 30th 08 06:20 PM

wrote:
I didn't. I simply don't go around disconnecting alternators with the
engine running. I try and design stuff to be foolproof, idiot proof
even - but not c**t proof.

That would explain your failure to see the spikes. Try repeatedly
switching off the rear window heater while measuring next time.

What's that supposed to do?

Then try it for real: switch off all accessories and waggle the loose
battery connection. Dont have your laptop connected :)

Err, why are you deliberately introducing a red herring? If a battery
terminal is loose the car won't start.

If the op wants to play chance games with their lappy they can, but at
least they're more aware of the problem now.

You use a laptop on the move? Takes all types.

If these events didnt occur IRL no-one would write about them, and car
electronics designers wouldnt design equipment to withstand them. They
do.

Including the PS built into the fag lighter adaptor?

I'm not denying you could possibly mess up something by adapting it to run
off a fag lighter socket - but that wasn't the question.

And I've got lots of home designed electronics in one car where I made
absolutely no provision for the sort of over voltage you imply. Without
failure.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman (News) July 30th 08 06:21 PM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

In article op.ue3wiyg6haghkf@lucy,
Duncan Wood wrote:
Most of us here don't have loose battery connections.

And if we did the car wouldn't start which means 'current dump' into an
accessory couldn't happen...

--
*According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

Conor[_2_] July 30th 08 07:08 PM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
says...
Never has anything gone bang when
starting the car due to the starter motor back emf. I have never
encountered any mention of that in all the
electronic/communications/broadcasting companies I have worked for and
frankly think it gets sinked back into the battery long before it could
do any damage. Its just never been an issue anyone has ever mentioned
as it is not a problem anyone has had.

My experience too.

And last night I started my Renault Premium which had my Satnav plugged
into the 24V socket and a 300W Mains Inverter plugged into the 12V
socket and my lappy plugged into that. Apart from them cutting out
momentarily as the ignition key changed positions, they kept working
throughout. It's not the first time I've done it either. At one point,
it was happening several times a night when I was doing a night trunk
for a pallet company. Lappy is still working fine, inverter is still
working fine. So is moby and Satnav.

And I can guarantee that any back EMF you'd get from a 24V starter
motor on a 12 litre diesel engine is going to far exceed anything you'd
get from a poxy car one.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams

Conor[_2_] July 30th 08 07:11 PM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

In article cc3c2337-405c-4e1c-9c7e-35359c976734
@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com, says...

That would explain your failure to see the spikes. Try repeatedly
switching off the rear window heater while measuring next time. Then
try it for real: switch off all accessories and waggle the loose
battery connection. Dont have your laptop connected :)

**** all happened. Difference is I had the night heater in the truck
instead of a heated window. A night heater is a bit of kit which has an
electrode which heats up diesel and a fan to blow the resulting hot air
into the cab. Works like central heating in the fact that you set a
temperature and it comes on and off to maintain that.

A night heater draws more current than a window heater and the
electrical noise from the fan far exceeds that of the window heater to
the point where it can be seen as RF interference on a TV.

And my laptop still works.

So again, you're talking out of your arse.

Conor[_2_] July 30th 08 07:13 PM

12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
says...

You use a laptop on the move? Takes all types.

I use my laptop in my lorry. Its exposed to far more electrical noise
and far higher potential back EMF than you'd get in a car yet my lappy
is working fine.