Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default any alternatives to stripping wallpaper?

I'm wondering how to deal with the wallpaper that previous tenants
have put up in my living room: on the lower half of the wall, it's
ordinary paper, and on the upper half it's anaglypta, painted with
matt emulsion. A paper border covers the join between them.

I want a plain, painted wall, but I'm dreading stripping the paper.
Even with a steamer, that anaglypta might be difficult.

So is there an alternative to stripping?

I was wondering if a power sander could be used, to sand down the
anaglypta and also the joins and the ridge the paper border makes. The
anaglypta has quite a shallow pattern - about 2mm.

I was also wondering if I could get a type of paint that's so thick,
it could actually disguise the anaglypta, paper edges, etc, and give a
smooth finish.

If there's an easy solution, I'd be very grateful if anyone here can
tell me - I just hate decorating, and have been putting off this chore
for two years!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pete" wrote in message
I'm wondering how to deal with the wallpaper that previous tenants
have put up in my living room: on the lower half of the wall, it's
ordinary paper, and on the upper half it's anaglypta, painted with
matt emulsion. A paper border covers the join between them.

I want a plain, painted wall, but I'm dreading stripping the paper.
Even with a steamer, that anaglypta might be difficult.

So is there an alternative to stripping?

I was wondering if a power sander could be used, to sand down the
anaglypta and also the joins and the ridge the paper border makes. The
anaglypta has quite a shallow pattern - about 2mm.

and you think stripping the wall is bad!?

I was also wondering if I could get a type of paint that's so thick,
it could actually disguise the anaglypta, paper edges, etc, and give a
smooth finish.

No

If there's an easy solution, I'd be very grateful if anyone here can
tell me - I just hate decorating, and have been putting off this chore
for two years!

Strip, make good, decorate. Stripping shouldn't take long, or decorating.
Put the effort into making good. First fill and sand, then blind wall with
cheap white, second fill (+third fill) and then decorate.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Jul, 11:46, pete wrote:

So is there an alternative to stripping?

Stripping with the right tools.

Perf it first with a tortoise-shaped spiked wheel gadget from the DIY
sheds - the single wheel one, not the triple wheel.

Then steam it. Wear silicone oven gloves (cheap, Aldi)

Anaglypta (and heavy, plasticky papers in general) steam strips
beautifully. The steam gets behind it, then the front peels off in big
non-tearing pieces.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pete wrote:

[...]

Have you thought of demoloshing and rebuilding the wall? g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pete wrote:

I'm wondering how to deal with the wallpaper that previous tenants
have put up in my living room: on the lower half of the wall, it's
ordinary paper, and on the upper half it's anaglypta, painted with
matt emulsion. A paper border covers the join between them.

I want a plain, painted wall, but I'm dreading stripping the paper.
Even with a steamer, that anaglypta might be difficult.

So is there an alternative to stripping?

No need for an alternative. The ordinary paper will come off very
easily with a steam stripper.

The anaglypta might be easier than you think too. Try a small patch
with the steamer. If that is slow to come off, do another trial:
Score the anaglypta with the point of a scraper, deep enough to score
the paper but not the wall. Then steam that trial patch and see if it
comes off more easily.

The more modern blown vinyl "anaglypta" are easier to strip. Just
peel away the blown vinyl layer leaving the thin paper layer still on
the wall. Then steam (or soak) and strip the paper. Job done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 17, 11:46*am, pete wrote:
[...]

A skim of car body filler.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 17 Jul, 11:46, pete wrote:

So is there an alternative to stripping?

Stripping with the right tools.

Perf it first with a tortoise-shaped spiked wheel gadget from the DIY
sheds - the single wheel one, not the triple wheel.

Then steam it. Wear silicone oven gloves (cheap, Aldi)

Anaglypta (and heavy, plasticky papers in general) steam strips
beautifully. The steam gets behind it, then the front peels off in big
non-tearing pieces.

You can usually just peel it off by hand once you raise an edge here and
there. What you're left with can then be soaked with a brush and cold
water. I don't perforate or steam unless I really have to. Too much like
hard work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 03:46:42 -0700 (PDT), pete
wrote:

You really have no alternative to stripping. For this crap get a
scraper with a long handle on it. You can grip it with both hands and
it makes life easier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 17 Jul, 11:46, pete wrote:

So is there an alternative to stripping?

Stripping with the right tools.

Perf it first with a tortoise-shaped spiked wheel gadget from the DIY
sheds - the single wheel one, not the triple wheel.

Then steam it. Wear silicone oven gloves (cheap, Aldi)

Anaglypta (and heavy, plasticky papers in general) steam strips
beautifully. The steam gets behind it, then the front peels off in
big non-tearing pieces.

You can usually just peel it off by hand once you raise an edge here
and there. What you're left with can then be soaked with a brush and
cold water. I don't perforate or steam unless I really have to. Too
much like hard work

I have to agree with this post.
Cold water is all that is required, and a good squirt of washing up liquid
mixed in will keep the water on the surface of the paper for longer, making
it quicker to soak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pete" wrote in message
[...]

Methods I have used to remove crap paper are-

- Using water + dab of washing up liquid. Score paper using a nail/nail
poking slightly out a piece of wood wet wall thoroughly. Have cup of tea.
Wet wall again. Have another cup of tea. Wet wall. Toilet. Wet wall. Scrape
away paper. This was emulsioned anaglypta and vinyl paper. Obviously you can
do other DIY work, instead of the cups of tea whilst the paper soak.
- Using wall paper stripper fluid. This works really well on absorbent
paper, appears to break the paste bonding and paper just peels off in one
piece.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian_m wrote:
"pete" wrote in message
[...]

I like to remove a 200mm swathe at the top, after which one brush swipe
along the top edge delivers enough water to soak the next 200mm.
Heavy duty scraper absolutely essential IMO. Turning it over every few
seconds keeps the blade honed to perfection.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Jul, 11:46, pete wrote:
I'm wondering how to deal with the wallpaper that previous tenants
have put up in my living room: on the lower half of the wall, it's
ordinary paper, and on the upper half it's anaglypta, painted with
matt emulsion. A paper border covers the join between them.

I want a plain, painted wall, but I'm dreading stripping the paper.
Even with a steamer, that anaglypta might be difficult.

Why? Anaglypta's usually easy to strip. Be grateful it's not
woodchip. Now that can be a bugger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I use this for ridding my walls of acres of woodchip (which happened
to be covering about six layers of paper going back to circa 1905):
http://www.wallwik.co.uk/
Looks gimmicky, but in fact it worked a treat for me.

Cheers!

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jul, 14:27, Martin Pentreath
wrote:
I use this for ridding my walls of acres of woodchip (which happened
to be covering about six layers of paper going back to circa 1905):http://www.wallwik.co.uk/
Looks gimmicky, but in fact it worked a treat for me.

Cheers!

Martin

PS I notice since I bought mine that they have rather expanded the
range. All I bought were the fabric strips which you soak and which
then stick to the paper and saturate it (which are now thirteen quid).
I bought a paper tiger from my local DIY place which has the toothed
wheels to score the paper, and I think I just used washing-up liquid
to help the water soak the paper better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jul, 14:39, Martin Pentreath
wrote:
On 18 Jul, 14:27, Martin Pentreath
wrote:

SNIP

Just a short note to thank everyone here for taking the trouble to
advise me. I really appreciate it.

Stripping Wallpaper Shay UK diy 6 May 15th 07 04:57 PM
Stripping wallpaper off painted plaster wall Londoncityslicker UK diy 3 April 16th 07 11:52 PM
Wallpaper Stripping DavidM UK diy 7 February 28th 07 02:41 PM
problem: stripping old wallpaper from wall / loose wall? steve UK diy 2 June 17th 06 09:02 PM
Stripping Wallpaper from a wall with lead paint David Home Repair 3 September 11th 05 07:42 AM