Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ikea Taps: Do I need the non-return valves?

I have just bought a set of Ikea kitchen taps which have a 'rincer'.
Looking inside the box, they include a pair of "non return" valves.

Do these have to be fitted? None of my current taps have non-return
valves fitted and I wonder if they now need to be fitted due to a
change in the 'building regs' ?

Are they optional? Do I have to fit them? If not, what the benifits of
fitting them (or the implications of not)??

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I have just bought a set of Ikea kitchen taps which have a 'rincer'.
Looking inside the box, they include a pair of "non return" valves.

Do these have to be fitted? None of my current taps have non-return
valves fitted and I wonder if they now need to be fitted due to a
change in the 'building regs' ?

Are they optional? Do I have to fit them? If not, what the benifits of
fitting them (or the implications of not)??

Is this an extending spray head? If so the risk is that the head could be
left dangling submerged in the sink. The non-return valves prevent back
syphonage of dirty water and ARE required by water regulations.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:34:45 +0100, Jim Alexander wrote:

wrote in message
I have just bought a set of Ikea kitchen taps which have a 'rincer'.
Looking inside the box, they include a pair of "non return" valves.

Do these have to be fitted? None of my current taps have non-return
valves fitted and I wonder if they now need to be fitted due to a
change in the 'building regs' ?

Are they optional? Do I have to fit them? If not, what the benifits of
fitting them (or the implications of not)??

Is this an extending spray head? If so the risk is that the head could
be left dangling submerged in the sink. The non-return valves prevent
back syphonage of dirty water and ARE required by water regulations.

There are also two sorts of mixer taps - some where the two streams are
kept separate until they leave the tap, and others where they mix inside
the body of it. I suspect yours is the latter type and the water regs do
insist on non-return valves on those.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Jul, 14:34, "Jim Alexander" wrote:
wrote in message

I have just bought a set of Ikea kitchen taps which have a 'rincer'.
Looking inside the box, they include a pair of "non return" valves.

Do these have to be fitted? None of my current taps have non-return
valves fitted and I wonder if they now need to be fitted due to a
change in the 'building regs' ?

Are they optional? Do I have to fit them? If not, what the benifits of
fitting them (or the implications of not)??

Is this an extending spray head? *If so the risk is that the head could be
left dangling submerged in the sink. *The non-return valves prevent back
syphonage of dirty water and ARE required by water regulations.

Jim A

I was wondering if that was the case.. Very much like an outside tap
then.

The rincer I have is the type which is held above the sink by a spring
wrapped around the house. Due to the design, its IMPOSSIBLE for it to
go low enough to touch the water.. its simply too high and not
flexible enough..

With this in mind, do I still need the non-return valves?

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 07:35:17 -0700, jon.p.weaver wrote:

With this in mind, do I still need the non-return valves?

But it probaby still mixes H & C within the spout, so yes you do need a
check valve.

--
John Stumbles

I used to be forgetful but now I ... um ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Now that's impressive.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Almost certainly, since the hot and cold is probably mixed in the body
of the tap. Hence there is the possibility that non potable hot is being
mixed with cold from the mains.

I am still a bit confused.. I have many 'mixers' all over the house,
all fitted by the original builder and none have check valves.. I know
that some of the mixers mix IN the tap, as my cold pressure is far
higher than my hot and when I put both taps on, I sometimes find that
the cold pushes back up into the hot pipes (Atleast thats what I
assume happens).

If they are necessary, why arn't they fitted now?

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Almost certainly, since the hot and cold is probably mixed in the body
of the tap. Hence there is the possibility that non potable hot is being
mixed with cold from the mains.

I am still a bit confused.. I have many 'mixers' all over the house,
all fitted by the original builder and none have check valves.. I know
that some of the mixers mix IN the tap, as my cold pressure is far
higher than my hot and when I put both taps on, I sometimes find that
the cold pushes back up into the hot pipes (Atleast thats what I
assume happens).

If they are necessary, why arn't they fitted now?

Retrospective laws..
If you have work done you may have to have them fitted.

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 14, 12:24*am, John Rumm wrote:
wrote:
The rincer I have is the type which is held above the sink by a spring
wrapped around the house. Due to the design, its IMPOSSIBLE for it to
go low enough to touch the water.. its simply too high and not
flexible enough..

With this in mind, do I still need the non-return valves?

Almost certainly, since the hot and cold is probably mixed in the body
of the tap. Hence there is the possibility that non potable hot is being
mixed with cold from the mains.

What if the hot is from a combi, is it classed as potable? Are the
check valves still required?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Almost certainly, since the hot and cold is probably mixed in the body
of the tap. Hence there is the possibility that non potable hot is being
mixed with cold from the mains.

Or worse that if it's mixing tank hot with mains pressure cold, the
cold ends up "blowing back" into the hot water tank through the outlet
and causes it to overflow. This has happened to me on a tap that
didn't have a (working) valve and it made a bit of a mess.

Neil

15mm non-return valves Arthur2 UK diy 5 September 4th 07 07:47 PM
Non spring-return CH zone valves? Geo UK diy 10 August 30th 07 12:16 AM
Outdoor tap non return valves problem Davy UK diy 3 August 26th 07 09:51 AM
temperature valves on all taps The Reid UK diy 84 April 13th 06 01:18 PM
non-return valves, isolating valves and service valves Ron Askew UK diy 3 October 29th 03 07:32 PM