Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old brick wall - lime or cement mortar?

I've got to repair a brick wall between 2 terraced houses. The top 5
courses will be taken off and rebuilt, as they are so wobbly, the bottom
half seems solid enough so will be repointed.
It is probably 120 years old, and has been repointed at least once in
the past.
Is it worthwhile doing it in lime mortar, or just go with the 'modern'
cement mortar?
Aesthetics are not an issue.
Ta
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
I've got to repair a brick wall between 2 terraced houses. The top 5
courses will be taken off and rebuilt, as they are so wobbly, the bottom
half seems solid enough so will be repointed.
It is probably 120 years old, and has been repointed at least once in
the past.
Is it worthwhile doing it in lime mortar, or just go with the 'modern'
cement mortar?
Aesthetics are not an issue.
Ta
Alan.

As I understand it, modern mortar sets rigid, and, if your old wall is not
equally as solid as the modern cement mortar then the brickwork may part at
the join between old and new as the wall expands and contracts. Also, if
the wall lacks modern solid foundations, the lime mortar allows a certain
amount of movement rather than cracking the bricks.

Interestingly, I dug up an old wall while investigating dead patches on our
lawn. The lime mortar was still holding the bricks together even though it
had a decidedly cheesy texture, and it could be scraped off so the bricks
could be put to good use elsewhere in the garden. Old bricks and modern
mortar on the other hand: the brick breaks when trying to hack off the
mortar.

Not a brickie so I stand to be corrected.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hmm. I find that unless you tie a wall together hard with steel ties, at
some point it will crack unless its keyed into an existing structure.

So if the wll can be keyed in to the existing with ties or with proper
binding, use modern.

Otherwise use a lime.

Lime vs cement mortar AJ UK diy 18 February 11th 08 08:07 PM
Lime or cement mortar? [email protected] UK diy 43 August 13th 06 12:58 PM
Why Lime instead of Cement Mortar? TheScullster UK diy 18 September 14th 05 09:35 AM
lime mortar smudger UK diy 2 April 6th 05 09:57 PM
lime or cement mortar? Niel A. Farrow UK diy 3 September 16th 03 12:33 PM