Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange motor characteristics in new Ryobi electric brushcutter

I have just bought a Ryobi RBC-1000EX electric brush cutter. It works
well and is easy to use, I have also got some attachments for it and
overall I'm quite impressed.

However there is one oddity about it which I can't quite fathom out.
The motor just has a straightforward on/off switch (with interlock)
there is no sort of speed control or anything like that but when using
the machine the motor starts in a sort 'half-power' mode and then
after what feels like a random interval switches itself up to full power.

Once in 'full-power' mode it never goes back to the half-power start
up mode until you switch off, then it repeats the process. There is
no mention at all in any of the manuals about this 'soft start' and
the problem is that I don't really understand how to get it into full
power mode on demand. Sometimes it stays in the low power mode for
ages before speeding up.

It *seems* as if it goes up into full-power mode when you load the
motor as, when I was strimming last night, it always went into full
power mode pretty promptly when I attacked banks of stinging nettles.
It's not 100% guaranteed though.

Has anyone else experiences this sort of motor control? Is it just a
'soft start' or what? Have I got a faulty one - should it switch up
to full power more quickly and/or reliably?

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

If indeed it has a soft start, then yes it should switch to full power at
the same point everytime you start it up.

Tim..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim.. wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I took a quick look inside, I'm pretty sure it does have some sort of
soft start, there's an 8-bit microcontroller with 2k of Flash RAM, some
ROM, etc. with an SCR or something to control the motor.

The trouble is that the manual gives no clue at all as to how the soft
start works, how it decides when to go to full power, etc. so I don't
know whether it's working "as designed" or not.

The technical help line at Ryobi wasn't much help either.

--
Chris Green