Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default sealing a bath

I read in this group (by the way what is the adress of the wiki?) that it is
best to fudge a load of silicone between bath and wall and then do a nice
bead.

How long should I leave between the fudging and the beading, I guess it is
best to let it go off a bit.

Cheers,
Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
I read in this group (by the way what is the adress of the wiki?) that it
is best to fudge a load of silicone between bath and wall and then do a
nice bead.

How long should I leave between the fudging and the beading, I guess it is
best to let it go off a bit.

My experience is not to hang around. After a short while the silicone
doesn't respond to being shaped with the end of a spoon or other suitable
implement and develops a surface which you end up dragging.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
I read in this group (by the way what is the adress of the wiki?) that it
is best to fudge a load of silicone between bath and wall and then do a
nice bead.

How long should I leave between the fudging and the beading, I guess it
is best to let it go off a bit.

My experience is not to hang around. After a short while the silicone
doesn't respond to being shaped with the end of a spoon or other suitable
implement and develops a surface which you end up dragging.

Sorry, probably wasn't clear there.

I have fudged a load of silicone in the gap but have left room to do a bead
independently.

Also how long do you guys leave a bath after sealing before you use it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:44:59 +0100, "R D S" wrote:

Also how long do you guys leave a bath after sealing before you use it?

Depends on when you start to smell a bit :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message

I read in this group (by the way what is the adress of the wiki?) that it
is best to fudge a load of silicone between bath and wall and then do a
nice bead.

How long should I leave between the fudging and the beading, I guess it
is best to let it go off a bit.

My experience is not to hang around. After a short while the silicone
doesn't respond to being shaped with the end of a spoon or other suitable
implement and develops a surface which you end up dragging.

Sorry, probably wasn't clear there.

I have fudged a load of silicone in the gap but have left room to do a bead
independently.

Also how long do you guys leave a bath after sealing before you use it?

Fill the bath with as much water as it will take. Put 3 sandbags of sand
in it and do the final seal. Wait for 48 hours and then the bath should
be fine. A bit ott but it works.

My experience is that the sheds seal will tear when the bath is full of
water and a heavey person is in it.
Last time I sealed a bath was about 20 years ago and the Dow Corning
Sealant was well known to yellow. But lasted very well and never leaked :-)

Dave

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote

Last time I sealed a bath was about 20 years ago and the Dow Corning
Sealant was well known to yellow. But lasted very well and never leaked
:-)

Dave

Dow Corning 785 sealer used 4 years ago on bath with no yellowing!
Used on numerous other jobs since also.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

"Dave" wrote

Last time I sealed a bath was about 20 years ago and the Dow Corning
Sealant was well known to yellow. But lasted very well and never leaked
:-)

Dave

Dow Corning 785 sealer used 4 years ago on bath with no yellowing!
Used on numerous other jobs since also.

Thanks for that, Ive noted and quoted to paper.

Dave

Sealing Bath Stephen Fisher UK diy 12 October 24th 07 11:01 PM
Need Help with Sealing my Bath Please [email protected] UK diy 2 August 27th 07 01:13 PM
I wish............... (sealing around a bath) John UK diy 22 July 30th 07 10:29 PM
Sealing a shower bath rim Big Ron UK diy 8 June 28th 07 03:42 PM
Sealing a Bath Trap The Reverend Natural Light Home Repair 4 September 26th 05 09:57 PM