Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Asthma

The downstairs to the house has all concrete floors. I havenever ever had
any asthma problems before but since moving in I am wheezing and out of
breathe and caughing a lot. I took my daughters inhaler this morning when it
got bad and it releived it. I have booked in with the GP for 3 weeks time. i
am wondering if it maybe the cncrete causing it, and therefore is there any
type of sealer i can use on it???? Thanks a caughing Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-24 09:17:10 +0100, "Samantha Booth"
said:

The downstairs to the house has all concrete floors. I havenever ever had
any asthma problems before but since moving in I am wheezing and out of
breathe and caughing a lot. I took my daughters inhaler this morning when it
got bad and it releived it. I have booked in with the GP for 3 weeks time. i
am wondering if it maybe the cncrete causing it, and therefore is there any
type of sealer i can use on it???? Thanks a caughing Sam

Is it a new house or are the floors bare, Sam?

You can resolve a dusty concrete floor using a mixture of 1:5 PVA with
water. Slosh it on with a broom or mop and the problem will stop.

Regarding the asthma attack and GP appointment, it would be a very good
idea to push for an earlier one. This could be one of several types
of reaction and better not to wait so long to seek treatment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-24 09:17:10 +0100, "Samantha Booth"
said:

[...]

7 years old. I have a living room, dining room and hall all with bare
concrete. Floors are all bare Andy. Will have a try at the PVA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-24 12:09:16 +0100, "Samantha Booth"

On 2008-06-24 09:17:10 +0100, "Samantha Booth"
said:

[...]

Another thing that can be pernicious is the dust from carpet backings
and underlays. If it's that, then PVA will deal with it as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 2008-06-24 09:17:10 +0100, "Samantha Booth"
said:

[...]

I am with Andy on this - IMHO, asthma is not something to ignore for weeks.

And are you sure it *is* asthma?

This year, for the first time since adolescence, I have been getting
significant [1] symptoms of hay-fever or other allergy - viz.
dry-feeling throat, eye discomfort, much-heavier-than-usual breathing,
coughing, etc. Feeling fairly confident about this, I am taking
loratadine tablets most days. (The odd wet day I skip - and often
survive fine. Next dry day - I suffer.) Note: I am *not* recommending
you do this - just pointing out a specific possibility other than asthma.

[1] Most years I get the odd minor discomfort. But not enough to even
consider taking anything.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

This year, for the first time since adolescence, I have been getting
significant [1] symptoms of hay-fever or other allergy - viz.
dry-feeling throat, eye discomfort, much-heavier-than-usual breathing,
coughing, etc. Feeling fairly confident about this, I am taking
loratadine tablets most days. (The odd wet day I skip - and often
survive fine. Next dry day - I suffer.) Note: I am *not* recommending
you do this - just pointing out a specific possibility other than asthma.

It's the same for me. I had two weeks of sneezing and coughing,
feeling very under the weather. A combination of loratadine and
Beconase steroid nasal spray helped.

According to my Doc it is caused by the local farmers growing twice as
much rapeseed as last year. I live on the edge of the countryside and
the fields around are all yellow this year, for the first time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
Rod wrote:
This year, for the first time since adolescence, I have been getting
significant [1] symptoms of hay-fever or other allergy - viz.
dry-feeling throat, eye discomfort, much-heavier-than-usual breathing,
coughing, etc. Feeling fairly confident about this, I am taking
loratadine tablets most days. (The odd wet day I skip - and often
survive fine. Next dry day - I suffer.) Note: I am *not* recommending
you do this - just pointing out a specific possibility other than asthma.

It's the same for me. I had two weeks of sneezing and coughing,
feeling very under the weather. A combination of loratadine and
Beconase steroid nasal spray helped.

According to my Doc it is caused by the local farmers growing twice as
much rapeseed as last year. I live on the edge of the countryside and
the fields around are all yellow this year, for the first time.

Same here astham, but no rape at all. Just wheat. Its grass pollen plus
some rather windy weather, plus some unusually early fungal stuff.

I wouldn't mind betting it will be a bad year for ergot as well.

Everyone blames rape, but rape is pretty much done with, and the worst
effects seem to be right now.

Full grass season. And elder and cow parsley all of which make me sneeze.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Rod wrote:
[...]

This year I noticed that the BBC weather forecasters actually identified
the pollens - e.g. Birch, Oak, whatever - I don't remember this being
done before. (As likely my memory/attention as reality.) But the Birch
pollen season, some time ago now, distinctly affected partner.

Elder is fading now - in Bucks - the berries are setting.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bruce
writes

It's the same for me. I had two weeks of sneezing and coughing,
feeling very under the weather. A combination of loratadine and
Beconase steroid nasal spray helped.

According to my Doc it is caused by the local farmers growing twice as
much rapeseed as last year. I live on the edge of the countryside and
the fields around are all yellow this year, for the first time.

Rubbish.

Rape is insect pollinated and the pollen too heavy to blow far. Grass
has headed up earlier than usual this year which may be a factor.
Flowering rape has a sickly smell which may annoy you:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Bruce
writes

It's the same for me. I had two weeks of sneezing and coughing,
feeling very under the weather. A combination of loratadine and
Beconase steroid nasal spray helped.

According to my Doc it is caused by the local farmers growing twice as
much rapeseed as last year. I live on the edge of the countryside and
the fields around are all yellow this year, for the first time.

Rubbish.

Rape is insect pollinated and the pollen too heavy to blow far. Grass
has headed up earlier than usual this year which may be a factor.
Flowering rape has a sickly smell which may annoy you:-)

That is my opinion also.

People think its rape,because its bloody visible.

But I have walked through a field of 6 ft tall rape in full bloom (ask
not why) and it did nothing.

Grass..well thats another matter, and tree pollen too. Hawthorn I
suspect is one of the worst.

regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-24 09:17:10 +0100, "Samantha Booth"
said:

[...]

old age seems to worsen the effects.

A I said in another post, the hypothalamus is involved in immune
response, and many chronic old age conditions have an onset in the late
50s and persist and worsen..e.g. thyroid, late onset diabetes, and
possibly auto-immune stuff, can possibly be ascribed to hormonal shifts
due to reduced testosterone/oestrogen, progesterone etc. etc.

The solution is never simple. Most of these are complex chains of causes
and effects,. and finding the right place in the chain to do something
'medical' with a 'pill' is quite an issue.

Do a google searh on 'fibromyalgia' which as near as I can see describes
the slew of symptoms I get which are almost certainly at some level an
allergic reaction.

Do you treat one or more of the 'symptoms' or do you try and find the
root cause?

For years I had bad teeth: it never occurred to me that almost permanent
nasal congestion, and hence a saliva less mouth, would induce caries..

Most treatments concentrate on the sypmtoms.E.g.vaso dilators for
asthma. Not the cause, which is a hair trigger immune response.

All the other effects can be traced to firsty or second level immune
response: e.g.IBS which is I am fairly certain, a response to swallowing
pollen loaded phlegm, or asthma, inhaling it via post nasal dripping, or
directly.

Chronic fatigue because you cant breathe/sleep at night, is hardly
surprising.

most of the other symptms I get are as of mild fever..slight feeling of
disorientation, dizziness and mild delirium: again consistent with the
bodies RESPONSE to disease. Likewise te muscle pains and spasms..no
different to a bad case of flu without the flu.

As I said, but can't recommend fr opbvious reasons, cannabis of the non
skunk sort seems to hit at the heart of the problem..depressing ALL
allergic symptoms.

There are various other drugs in the antidepressant range that also
affect serotonin and dopamine which are probably implicated in all this.
I have yet to discuss this with a GP. one doesn't want to go into long
term pill taking unless things get TOO bad does one? ;-)

[1] Most years I get the odd minor discomfort. But not enough to even
consider taking anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

[...]

Fascinating response. Given my obsession, you will not be surprised if I
identify fibro as one of those things sometimes helped by thyroid
hormone. Partner had serious gum (and hence tooth) problems due to
thyroid. IBS - sometimes related to thyroid. Muscle pains and spasms -
sometimes caused by thyroid.

And you must not miss out that various of these and other problems might
be caused directly by low stomach acidity - also sometimes caused by
thyroid.

I'll shut up now and retire to PubMed... :-)

(Anyone who wants can follow the URLs in my sig.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
[...]

Mm. My mother had an underactive thyroid..no its not that. No cold no
general slowdown. And sufficiently variable to make me sure its a
triggered state.

Thalamus or hypothalamus mate.

I'll shut up now and retire to PubMed... :-)

(Anyone who wants can follow the URLs in my sig.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-24 09:17:10 +0100, "Samantha Booth"
said:

[...]

According to my paramedic daughter, asthma attacks can be very serious
indeed, I agree with Rod, get to the GP ASAP.

You can use a concrete hardener/dustproofer like Everbuild 403 Concrete
Hardener & Dustproofer. This reacts with the lime content in the surface of
the concrete and turns it into an almost marble smooth hard surface.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
On 2008-06-24 09:17:10 +0100, "Samantha Booth"
said:

[...]

Yup, a friend of friend died from an asm
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-24, Rod wrote:

This year, for the first time since adolescence, I have been getting
significant [1] symptoms of hay-fever or other allergy - viz.

FWIW, I'm also having the worst hayfever year for some time.

Odd that, had a mate complaining the other day that his hay-fever is
worse than usual this year....

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-24, Rod wrote:

This year, for the first time since adolescence, I have been getting
significant [1] symptoms of hay-fever or other allergy - viz.

FWIW, I'm also having the worst hayfever year for some time.

Never suffered from hay fever, I reckon the fags prevent it....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 2008-06-24, Rod wrote:

This year, for the first time since adolescence, I have been getting
significant [1] symptoms of hay-fever or other allergy - viz.

FWIW, I'm also having the worst hayfever year for some time.

Never suffered from hay fever, I reckon the fags prevent it....

There are at least plenty of claims that vitamin B3 (niacin and/or
nicotinamide), preferably with vitamin C, help with hay fever.

"Niacin seems to reduce the release of histamine"

http://www.health24.com/dietnfood/Whats_in_food/15-47-94-98.asp

Not at all sure what this really means. But I did give up three years
ago. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-24 19:19:02 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-06-24, Rod wrote:

This year, for the first time since adolescence, I have been getting
significant [1] symptoms of hay-fever or other allergy - viz.

FWIW, I'm also having the worst hayfever year for some time.

Never suffered from hay fever, I reckon the fags prevent it....

You might not want to say that if you ever take a trip to the United States.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-24, Rod wrote:

This year, for the first time since adolescence, I have been getting
significant [1] symptoms of hay-fever or other allergy - viz.

FWIW, I'm also having the worst hayfever year for some time.

Never suffered from hay fever, I reckon the fags prevent it....

I'll take the hay fever rather than emphysema, heart disease and lung cancer,
thanks.

Just cancer generally. Someone close to me died of fag-related cancer
last year. It started in the spine and eventually metastasised and got
everywhere. It hasn't worked as a warning, others who know the person in
question still smoke like chimneys. It really is an addiction, the
addicts are unable to rationalise the outcomes as long as they get their
next fix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-24, The Medway Handyman
On 2008-06-24, Rod wrote:

This year, for the first time since adolescence, I have been getting
significant [1] symptoms of hay-fever or other allergy - viz.

FWIW, I'm also having the worst hayfever year for some time.

Never suffered from hay fever, I reckon the fags prevent it....

I'll take the hay fever rather than emphysema, heart disease and lung
cancer,
thanks.

Just cancer generally. Someone close to me died of fag-related cancer
last year. It started in the spine and eventually metastasised and got
everywhere. It hasn't worked as a warning, others who know the person in
question still smoke like chimneys. It really is an addiction, the
addicts are unable to rationalise the outcomes as long as they get their
next fix.

cancer is a minor problem, it only kills you..
I can get you a list of people that have lost limbs that wouldn't have if
they didn't smoke.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:17:10 +0100, "Samantha Booth"

am wondering if it maybe the cncrete causing it, and therefore is there any
type of sealer i can use on it???? Thanks a caughing Sam

It isn't likely to be the concrete, but if the floors are bare because
the previous owners carpets have been removed it's quite likely there
is a significant amount of old organic debris left behind (mainly
particles of skin residue and dust mite excreta (a very common
allergen)). These are not that easy to pick up with a normal cleaner
from rough concrete but after vacuuming up as much as you can Andys'
suggestion of a PVA sealer should at least glue the rest down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:17:10 +0100, "Samantha Booth"

am wondering if it maybe the cncrete causing it, and therefore is there any
type of sealer i can use on it???? Thanks a caughing Sam

It isn't likely to be the concrete, but if the floors are bare because
the previous owners carpets have been removed it's quite likely there
is a significant amount of old organic debris left behind (mainly
particles of skin residue and dust mite excreta (a very common
allergen)). These are not that easy to pick up with a normal cleaner
from rough concrete but after vacuuming up as much as you can Andys'
suggestion of a PVA sealer should at least glue the rest down.

Yes. that will lay any dust you can't vaccuum firmly to rest, including
dust mite ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message
The downstairs to the house has all concrete floors. I havenever ever had
any asthma problems before but since moving in I am wheezing and out of
breathe and caughing a lot. I took my daughters inhaler this morning when

it
got bad and it releived it. I have booked in with the GP for 3 weeks time.

am wondering if it maybe the cncrete causing it, and therefore is there

any
type of sealer i can use on it???? Thanks a caughing Sam

What makes you think the house is bringing on an (alledged)asthma attack? I
was walking to the doctors one day and my chest started to become tightout
of breath and speach was stammered,twas not a heart attack coming on but
after getting taken to the hospital immediately they diagnosed it as
bronchitis ie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
m...

[...]

My daughter has asthma which has been terrible here since moving in. She has
had 3 attacks in two months. Whereas in the old house she had 1 attack in 3
years. I am just going on what we think it could be. We have a decent vaccum
a Miele with filters. I am just guessing but when I took my daughters
inhaler i stopped gasping and was much better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:49:45 +0100, "Samantha Booth"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Ans you shouldn't take medicines not prescribed for you.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mogga wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:49:45 +0100, "Samantha Booth"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
m...
[...]

not if you want to sue teh dictor that gabe them certainly.

however millions of people take aspirin, paracetamol, anti-allergens,
all available over the counter, as are many other useful drugs, like
coffee,tea, coca cola, etc etc.

Even sugar is a specific antidote to certain aspects of diabetes.

Even water is a medically recognised antidote to ionic imbalance and
severe gastro intestinal upsets that cause diahoerrhea

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mogga wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:49:45 +0100, "Samantha Booth"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
m...
[...]

And this is a DIY group so fair enough!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Samantha Booth wrote:

My daughter has asthma which has been terrible here since moving in. She has
had 3 attacks in two months. Whereas in the old house she had 1 attack in 3
years. I am just going on what we think it could be. We have a decent vaccum
a Miele with filters. I am just guessing but when I took my daughters
inhaler i stopped gasping and was much better.

Did the previous owners have pets? Or do you have pets (known or unknown
such a rodents)?

Have you moved far enough for the water supply to be different?

Have you changed your diet or medications (including vitamins and other
supplements)?

Does one room seem to affect you more than another?

Try putting the vacuum cleaner outdoors while using it (not when raining
:-) ) - if necessary buying an extension hose. (They are available for
Miele.)

Have you washed the walls, ceilings, curtains, floors, etc.?

I suggest you keep a detailed diary of all things consumed, weather
conditions, etc. This can really help to identify or rule out factors.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

What makes you think the house is bringing on an (alledged)asthma attack?

was walking to the doctors one day and my chest started to become tightout
of breath and speach was stammered,twas not a heart attack coming on but
after getting taken to the hospital immediately they diagnosed it as
bronchitis ie

Or 'speech'...just in case the pedants are about. ;-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"George" wrote in message
What makes you think the house is bringing on an (alledged)asthma attack?

was walking to the doctors one day and my chest started to become tightout
of breath and speach was stammered,twas not a heart attack coming on but
after getting taken to the hospital immediately they diagnosed it as
bronchitis ie

Or 'speech'...just in case the pedants are about. ;-P

Depending on what the inhaler was, if it was blue (technical chemist
description that!) then it would open the airways, which does not mean
that the cause was asthma. As said before to wait 3 weeks for a docs
appointment in this case is rather silly. Go and rattle the
receptionist's cage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message
The downstairs to the house has all concrete floors. I havenever ever had
any asthma problems before but since moving in I am wheezing and out of
breathe and caughing a lot. I took my daughters inhaler this morning when
it got bad and it releived it. I have booked in with the GP for 3 weeks
time. i am wondering if it maybe the cncrete causing it, and therefore is
there any type of sealer i can use on it???? Thanks a caughing Sam

If you have a sudden attack like that you are supposed to phone 999 not wait
three weeks while Darwin decides.
At the least you need to phone the doctors and tell them you want an
appointment tonight.
If the receptionist says no ask to be put through to the doctor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Samantha Booth wrote:
The downstairs to the house has all concrete floors. I havenever ever had
any asthma problems before but since moving in I am wheezing and out of
breathe and caughing a lot. I took my daughters inhaler this morning when it
got bad and it releived it. I have booked in with the GP for 3 weeks time. i
am wondering if it maybe the cncrete causing it, and therefore is there any
type of sealer i can use on it???? Thanks a caughing Sam

My guess is that you have alos moved locations.

I am absolutely awful right now, on suffolk clay..I drove to Norfolk
yesterdy..as soon as I got off the clay and onto sand, I started
coughing up tons of crap, and by the time I arrived I was exhausted, but
breathing fine.

Last night mytwife as usual left the window open and I woke up unable to
breathe.

It's pollen: probably grass, but not necessarily. Age also has something
to do with it - watch out for the menopause (male and female).

The proprietary antihistamines help a lot: Cetirizine hydrochloride
specifically knocks it back about 70%.

The best antidote I have found is cannabis, but its hard to find one
these days that isn't designed to turn you into a paranoid wreck, rather
than just relieve asthma. I ahve been researching WHY it works, and the
best pathway would seem to be via serotonin which is involved with the
hypothalamus,which also controls immune reponses.

Another very brutal but effective one I was prescribed once is
uniphyllin: It makes you incredibly nauseous,so I used to use it only
with food and only at half dosage.

Other things that do work, but I again don't like a lot, are steroid
nasal sprays. Those seem to work because the nasal congestion drips dow
your throat at night and collects in the lungs, which then constrict,
stopping you coughing properly.

I would further add that auto-immune diseases are amongst the most
common of the least understood conditions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message
The downstairs to the house has all concrete floors. I havenever ever had
any asthma problems before but since moving in I am wheezing and out of
breathe and caughing a lot. I took my daughters inhaler this morning when
it got bad and it releived it. I have booked in with the GP for 3 weeks
time. i am wondering if it maybe the cncrete causing it, and therefore is
there any type of sealer i can use on it???? Thanks a caughing Sam

Thanks all. I am going in the morning at 09.10 after I sat there this pm for
an hour caughing all over the place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-24 21:57:54 +0100, "Samantha Booth"
said:

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message
The downstairs to the house has all concrete floors. I havenever ever had
any asthma problems before but since moving in I am wheezing and out of
breathe and caughing a lot. I took my daughters inhaler this morning when
it got bad and it releived it. I have booked in with the GP for 3 weeks
time. i am wondering if it maybe the cncrete causing it, and therefore is
there any type of sealer i can use on it???? Thanks a caughing Sam

Thanks all. I am going in the morning at 09.10 after I sat there this pm for
an hour caughing all over the place.

Very good idea, Sam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andy Hall wrote:

Thanks all. I am going in the morning at 09.10 after I sat there this
pm for
an hour caughing all over the place.

Very good idea, Sam.

Good - and, if you don't mind, do let us know.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message
The downstairs to the house has all concrete floors. I havenever ever had
any asthma problems before but since moving in I am wheezing and out of
breathe and caughing a lot. I took my daughters inhaler this morning when
it got bad and it releived it. I have booked in with the GP for 3 weeks
time. i am wondering if it maybe the cncrete causing it, and therefore is
there any type of sealer i can use on it???? Thanks a caughing Sam

To get back to the original question, might I say without offence to anyone
feeling ill )

This is a DIY group and Sam wants to know about sealing concrete (DIY) (and
she took her daughters medicine ( also DIY)) - fine!!.

She never said she had an asthma attack, just she was wheezing and out of
breath, she wanted to know how to seal the concrete and we gave her two
ideas.

Is there a uk.rec.my-illness-is-worse-than-yours ng, where the discussion
could be moved?

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bob Mannix wrote:

Is there a uk.rec.my-illness-is-worse-than-yours ng, where the discussion
could be moved?

uk.diagnose-it-yourself?

Anyone with thyroid issues - over to alt.support.thyroid.
--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Bob Mannix wrote:

Is there a uk.rec.my-illness-is-worse-than-yours ng, where the discussion
could be moved?

uk.diagnose-it-yourself?

Ah yes, very good!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
Bob Mannix wrote:

Is there a uk.rec.my-illness-is-worse-than-yours ng, where the discussion
could be moved?

Yeah, but it's hopeless.

Full of people discussing combi boilers, speedfit and SDS drills :-(

Darren