DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Demise of Ebay? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/253269-demise-ebay.html)

Roland Perry June 20th 08 03:48 PM

Demise of Ebay?

In message 485bc023@qaanaaq, at 15:35:15 on Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Andy
Hall remarked:
Most of them seem to be off duty firemen and look for payment in
cash. I've never understood why.

Mine is a full time window cleaner. He told me what previous job
he'd retired from, but I forget what it was.

The fire service.

Looking at him, that's very unlikely.

They retire at some ridiculously low age from there.

They could put all the over-50's onto admin/inspection work. Same goes
for the police.
--
Roland Perry

Andy Hall June 20th 08 03:58 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 14:07:35 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message 485b53c4@qaanaaq, at 07:52:52 on Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Andy
Hall remarked:

Seriously though, Andy seemed to be implying that going to the post office
was a waste of time (when compared to doing "post officey things" online)
- I only see it that way if I'm going to the post office to do a single
chore.

There are only four things that I have done at the post office in the
last year:

- Send a package of information by Special Delivery to my accountant.
This happens every couple of months. Considering the time taken
waiting to be served, it would be cheaper to send it with a courier who
will collect.

Pick the right time of day and the queue will be shorter. It's
frustrating to wait for more than ten minutes I agree. If you are
sending things as a business then paying for a courier will make more
sense than if it was a personal item being shipped.

Whether it's my business or my personal time it's expensive. Either
way I can be much more productive by not having to wait around in
queues at the Post Office.

- Renewed vehicle excise duty for the car. That took 45 minutes of
waiting in line while people who didn't have the right or complete set
of information argued with the counter staff or chatted about the
weather. Last time, it was renewed on line - a time saving of an hour
overall. I won't be using the Post Office for that again

I've had two lost in the post on the way back to me. On balance I would
probably now still order online, but only because I now know how to get
a replacement in only half a dozen letters and phone calls.

- Collection of an imported parcel and payment of VAT. That involved
a wait in the rain of 30 mins and surly service. Royal Mail is still
out of touch with customer service. I now mandate that professional
private courier services are used and don't place business with anybody
using Royal Mail

At a Post Office? How odd. Everywhere I've lived you do that (and other
similar transactions) at the sorting office. And there are rarely any
queues, albeit they have rather restricted opening hours.

The sorting office is at the Post Office. They may be seaparate
organisations but have the same bad public sector culture of the past.
Hopeless.

- Return of goods purchased on line. I now favour suppliers who a
have a return arrangement where the goods are collected.

Which they charge you for in the general price of their goods. But if
that's affordable for you, then who are we to criticise how you spend
your money.

This isn't the issue. If they sell defective goods, then they should
be dealing with that problem.

in either case there are plenty of places to meet socially for a chat
with willing participants rather than getting in the way of people who
simply want to make what should be quick and efficient simple business
transactions.

When I lived in Somerset, that place was at the supermarket checkout
till. sigh

Clearly the Post Office has lost all touch with reality since it
launched its "People's Post Office" marketing. What kind of sh*t is
that? It demonstrates that they have lost the plot completely.

It demonstrates you are not really within their target market, that's for sure.

I am so pleased to know that. I wonder who is though. Are there
really people who would be suckered by that nonsense? It has no
actual value other than trying to pretend that they are providing
something for "the common good". The product offerings are presented
as something suitable for people who haven't used them before -
somewhat insulting to their intelligence.

Theo Markettos June 20th 08 04:03 PM

Demise of Ebay?

Mary Fisher wrote:
Yesterday someone phoned to ask if it would be OK to pay by BACS (I know,
some people have odd ideas). Spouse said yes. I cam to the PC and it was
here within ten minutes.

I have no idea when interest begins to be paid but on the current account
it's so little that I immediately transferred it to my e-saver. Her bank
isn't even in the same group as mine.

Maybe you're already on Faster Payments, which started on 27th May. To
pinch a list from elsewhe

Able to SEND (up to ??10K)
- HSBC (including First Direct)
- RBS (including NatWest)
- Barclays (although some people report amounts limited)
- Lloyds TSB by TELEPHONE only (not online)
- Tesco

Able to receive
- HSBC (including First Direct)
- RBS (including NatWest)
- Coventry BS
- Egg
- Tesco
- Northern Rock
- Newcastle (but doesn't show online until next day, though with previous
day's date)
- Halifax
- Lloyds TSB
- Alliance & Leicester (certain sort codes only?)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=985463

Theo

Andy Hall June 20th 08 04:10 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 14:38:04 +0100, "Clive George" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:485b53c4@qaanaaq...

There are only four things that I have done at the post office in the
last year:

- Collection of an imported parcel and payment of VAT. That involved
a wait in the rain of 30 mins and surly service. Royal Mail is still
out of touch with customer service. I now mandate that professional
private courier services are used and don't place business with anybody
using Royal Mail

Interesting. I just realised I had the same problem - imported parcel,
VAT and duty to be paid. I recieved a standard form through the door
telling me I needed to do this. I went online, paid the duty, and the
parcel was delivered the next day. USPS priority mail on the USian
side, translated to parcelforce on this side.

No queueing at post office, rain, or anything like that - I didn't have
to go outside or even lift the phone. Perfect customer service IMO, and
no private courier services used.

clive

Their behaviour is inconsistent. That system relies on the tracking
working properly. I have found that it doesn't 50% of the time.

Even a card system is appalling customer service. They have wasted
over a day in doing this and expect the customer to take an action.

If I am importing something with DHL as the courier, they call or email
me while the goods are in transit and the customs clearance is
underway. They take a card number over the phone and there is no delay.

If I use Fedex, they simply deliver the goods and invoice me afterwards.

Andy Hall June 20th 08 04:11 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 14:17:22 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message , at 23:40:14 on Thu, 19 Jun
2008, geoff remarked:
Andy's gone uncharacteristically quiet for some reason ...

Maybe he's sat at home waiting for a courier to arrive?

I am not frequently at home and when I am, it certainly isn't waiting
for anything.

Andy Hall June 20th 08 04:13 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 09:34:36 +0100, Mark said:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 00:05:22 +0100, Andy Hall

Have you tried a Mac?

OS/X has about 4-5 icons in the dock after loading and most common
things can be done from these. It's very stable and simple to use if
you don't want sophistication. It doesn't break or deteriorate
like Windows either.

But a lot of people are brainwashed into thinking that Windows is the
only OS.

I know, which is all the more amazing when it isn't even that, but just
a disk file system with unstable graphics on the top.

I'm no apologist for Windows, but that's just plain wrong.

OK, so nowadays, with the NT technology shamelessly taken from VMS,
they have a little middleware glue.

Andy Hall June 20th 08 04:19 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 14:20:48 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message 485aa6d4@qaanaaq, at 19:35:00 on Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Andy
Hall remarked:
I'm pretty sure it was a child, and that was the only way they could
easily transmit the funds. I expect "bank of dad" was getting fed up
with being an intermediary.
The name wasn't Bunter was it?
A good solution for this issue is a prepay card. To the seller it
works like a debit card.
Prepay cards have high commission rates, and also mean (in practice on
eBay) that you have to get a PayPal account. Lots of bother for a kid
who just wants to buy one or two things.

So shop in other places than Ebay.

There are some thing that a re much easier to find on eBay.

As a self-professed "people should make their own choices" nut, I
wonder why you think people shouldn't be allowed to make a choice to
use eBay (and Postal Orders) if that's what they think soles their need
the best.

I'm not a nut about anything, let alone freedom of choice. By
definition, people need to discover that themselves. As far as Ebay
is concerned, I really don't care whether people use them or not.
However, if one does use an organisation to buy and sell and it doesn't
work properly, it's an equivalent to banging one's head on a brick
wall. Stop doing it or don't whinge about the pain.

People seem to think it's a be all and end all. It isn't.

It's better than anything else, a lot of the time. But it's not immune
from drawbacks.

Bettter than.... A lot of the time....?? What's that all about?
Either it works properly or it doesn't work properly. If it works
properly, then great. If it doesn't then don't use it.

It's an unregulated E Commerce organisation. That's all.

It's regulated in many ways, although lots of folk don't realise it.

All the more foolish for not understanding the rules of the game.

Andy Hall June 20th 08 04:23 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 14:24:24 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message 485aa660@qaanaaq, at 19:33:04 on Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Andy
Hall remarked:

given repeated grief I've had over the years with local councils
"losing" payments it's overall simpler and easier to send them a
cheque for the council tax. You also keep the money in your account for
a few more days, not earning the interest that's paying for the
Bizarre. Online banking shows on-screen statements of exactly
when the direct debit was collected.
All that shows is they collected the money. It doesn't prove it was
applied to *my* CT debt.

That is then their problem. You have the proof that they collected payment.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Some people, for example, have
two properties, so showing *a* payment to the council doesn't prove
*both* sets of CT have been paid. As a result they make it *your*
problem if the CT account for any property hasn't received the incoming
funds.

Even if the payments were precisely the same, it would be possible to
look over a period of time and see that the total amount of money paid
was the correct amount for two properties.

As far as I'm concerned, they can do what they like and can make
representations for the money. Should they wish to do that through
the courts they can do so.

Bits of paper are superfluous to being able to prove or not that money
was transferred to the recipient.
So I can go down the council office with my laptop and mobile data
card, and point at the screen? And they'd take that as *proof*?

Why on earth would you do that? What a waste of time. Let them make
representations for the money.

The 'representations' are letters saying "see you in court".

That's fine. Their solicitors will receive a string of very lengthy
letters by FAX demonstrating that monies have been paid and when.
That doesn't require the use of cheques or any other form of treeware.

Since cheques require to be touched by multiple human beings and local
government employees, the chances of mishap are far higher than with
EFT.
I have found the reverse to be true in practice.

I'd close the Co-op bank account in that case.

I don't remember which bank the councils were using.

The piggy one, probably.

Andy Hall June 20th 08 04:24 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 14:28:36 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message , at
19:36:57 on Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Mary Fisher
remarked:
PayPal: payment received within minutes

Apparently not always the case. There are many reports of so-called
"instant transfers" being converted into something called an e-cheque,
which takes about 10 days to 'clear'.

That's NEVER been my experience. It's always been instant.

But there are exceptions in every field.

Things have apparently changed considerably in the last few weeks, to
co-incide (it is alleged) with the "everyone must offer PayPal" edict.

It's not clear what the "rule" is, and I've not yet got enough
anecdotal evidence for a complete picture to emerge, but it's something
like:

An echeque is issued if the funds to make the payment have to be taken
from a bank account; when that PayPal account does not have a currently
valid Credit Card associated with it, or the transaction involves
certain "high risk" items.

What a lot of unnecessary complexity and crap just to buy and sell something.

Man at B&Q June 20th 08 04:26 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On Jun 20, 4:10 pm, Andy Hall wrote:
Interesting. I just realised I had the same problem - imported parcel,
VAT and duty to be paid. I recieved a standard form through the door
telling me I needed to do this. I went online, paid the duty, and the
parcel was delivered the next day. USPS priority mail on the USian
side, translated to parcelforce on this side.

No queueing at post office, rain, or anything like that - I didn't have
to go outside or even lift the phone. Perfect customer service IMO, and
no private courier services used.

clive

Their behaviour is inconsistent. That system relies on the tracking
working properly. I have found that it doesn't 50% of the time.

Are you talking Royal Mail (I guess so form the reference to a PO) or
Parcel Force (referred to by the previous poster) which has it's own
network of depots? With the latter, I've found the tracking works just
fine and you don't need to wait for the letter informing you that they
have a parcel. If you try to use the online or phone system you do
need the reference from the letter. Instead, just ring the depot as
soon as the tracking system shows they have received the parcel from
customs and quote the 13 digit tracking code.

I've just done exactly that today (Milton Keynes depot). The phone was
answered within three rings (after listening to a choice of options)
and the guy on the other end was very helpful and pleasant.

In the real world, I class that as good service form Canada Post and
Parcel Force.

Now I just have to ring customs to find out why they held onto the
parcel for four days.

MBQ

Clive George June 20th 08 04:30 PM

Demise of Ebay?

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:485bc858@qaanaaq...

Even a card system is appalling customer service. They have wasted over
a day in doing this and expect the customer to take an action.

A whole day. Whoopee ****. This isn't intended to be a time-critical
service.

They've said what they're going to do, and they've done it. That's just what
you always say is what proper customer service is.

clive

Man at B&Q June 20th 08 04:45 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On Jun 20, 4:30 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in messagenews:485bc858@qaanaaq...
Even a card system is appalling customer service. They have wasted over
a day in doing this and expect the customer to take an action.

A whole day. Whoopee ****. This isn't intended to be a time-critical
service.

It is if you have paid for it to be so.

In the example I quoted, a Canada Post express post item is landed and
goes into the Parcel Force system as a Parcel Force 48 hour service.
Unfortunately, I was shafted by customs taking 96 hours.

MBQ

Andy Hall June 20th 08 04:56 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 16:26:41 +0100, "Man at B&Q" said:

[...]

In the particular case, Royal Mail, but these organisations are tarred
with the same brush.

With the latter, I've found the tracking works just
fine and you don't need to wait for the letter informing you that they
have a parcel. If you try to use the online or phone system you do
need the reference from the letter. Instead, just ring the depot as
soon as the tracking system shows they have received the parcel from
customs and quote the 13 digit tracking code.

Therein lies one of the problems. They don't have the tracking until
it is at Customs.

I've just done exactly that today (Milton Keynes depot). The phone was
answered within three rings (after listening to a choice of options)
and the guy on the other end was very helpful and pleasant.

In the real world, I class that as good service form Canada Post and
Parcel Force.

Herein lies the problem. Acceptance of crappy service because the
person was nice. I'm pleased if people are nice, but I would also
like them to get the job done quickly and efficiently and with little
or preferably no intervention from me.

These bolted together public sector and ex public sector services are
inefficient. I've had this game with USPS and Royal Mail. Sender
dispatches goods on what is supposed to be an express service and sends
me the tracking number. The tracking number is not detectable in the
USPS system and the goods are now in a black hole. For two weeks.
The next thing is a card through the door from Royal Mail expecting me
to present myself at the sorting office to pay the VAT. Still no
tracking number so no means to do anything remotely. At the sorting
office there is a record of a tracking number that has been generated
as the goods passed customs. They had been too lazy to put it on the
card. Nothing was joined up about this service and it wasn't
particularly cheap either.

I don't consider this to be acceptable real world service. It's a
hangover from the past.

Now I just have to ring customs to find out why they held onto the
parcel for four days.

Because nobody had done the proper clearances while the goods were in
transit and had not corrected any issues before the involvement of
Customs.

I'll contrast this with two shipments I did with Fedex this week. One
was from the U.S. to me and the other from me to Germany.

In both cases, the documentation, including in the case of the U.S. to
UK shipment a commercial invoice were generated on line. Tracking
numbers can be emailed to sender and recipient. A flag to send emails
if there are scan exceptions (i.e. issues during transit) can be set.
I can then call Fedex and they will collect the shipment, often in
under an hour.

The inbound one arrived in two days from the U.S. exactly on schedule.
The invoice for VAT will probably arrive tomorrow and can be paid by
BACS.

For the outbound one, deivery was the following day and I can refer to
the Fedex web site for proof of delivery including a scanned copy of
the recipient's signature. I therefore know he received the shipment,
the precise time and who signed for it and where.

*That's* good service in the real world.

Andy Hall June 20th 08 05:01 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 16:30:23 +0100, "Clive George" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:485bc858@qaanaaq...

Even a card system is appalling customer service. They have wasted
over a day in doing this and expect the customer to take an action.

A whole day. Whoopee ****. This isn't intended to be a time-critical service.

They've said what they're going to do, and they've done it. That's just
what you always say is what proper customer service is.

clive

If they took the trouble to organise themselves properly, they would be
able to offer a better quality service at zero extra cost.

There is always room to make improvements, increase customer
satisfaction and make more money.

John Rumm June 20th 08 05:15 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 02:09:03 +0100, John Rumm
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Cheques are a deprecated means of payment that should have been
dropped 20 years ago. There's certainly no reason for cheques to be
used at all

Probably true...

in the 21st century. Last year I wrote one cheque. This year I
am aiming not to write any. In general anybody expecting payment
by cheque does not get repeat business from me.

Still they have the occasional use - quite handy for paying the
milkman I find....

I thought that they were normally paid in kind ;-)

Perhaps, but he is not my type!

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall June 20th 08 05:21 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 16:45:22 +0100, "Man at B&Q" said:

On Jun 20, 4:30 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in messagenews:485bc858@qaanaaq...
Even a card system is appalling customer service. They have wasted over
a day in doing this and expect the customer to take an action.

A whole day. Whoopee ****. This isn't intended to be a time-critical
service.

It is if you have paid for it to be so.

In the example I quoted, a Canada Post express post item is landed and
goes into the Parcel Force system as a Parcel Force 48 hour service.
Unfortunately, I was shafted by customs taking 96 hours.

MBQ

You were shafted because there were multiple organisations involved in
the process or because the sender didn't complete the shipping
paperwork properly.

I make large numbers of shipments into the UK from countries outside
the EU and UK Customs does work pretty well. As long as airwaybills
and commercial invoices are properly completed, it's very rare for
there to be any delay at all let alone 4 days.

A proper commercial courier takes care of these issues by making sure
that the shipper does do the paperwork correctly at the outset and
maintaining single organisation tracking all the way through. If
that is done, then generally shipments will have had the Customs
entries made during shipping and will clear automatically.

It's very much a case of management by exception and unfortunately the
cobbled together postal type services create a hit and miss situation
that attracts attention or simply results in goods going through an
inspection channel.

Bob Eager June 20th 08 05:29 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 14:45:16 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:44:22 UTC, Jules
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 08:00:09 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:
Probably compiler writing...

That's a long lost trade these days "-)

It'd be interesting to compare some of the standard courses back then to
typical ones at modern universities.

I often wonder what modern courses actually involve - I mean do they still
do all the assembler, distributed computing, functional programming etc.
that we used to do way back when? Whilst not always directly useful, such
things were vital to teaching basic computing skills that could be
applied to all kinds of situations...

Assembler per se has gone. But functional programming still has a module
in the first year, and distributed computing in the second. They get
TCP/IP in the first year (from me!)

So there's hope yet. They're not all becoming CCIEs, able to
regurgitate the IOS manuals but not understanding about networks.

That's not teaching. That's training.

http://www.diybanter.com

Bob Eager June 20th 08 05:30 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 09:34:36 +0100, Mark said:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 00:05:22 +0100, Andy Hall

Have you tried a Mac?

OS/X has about 4-5 icons in the dock after loading and most common
things can be done from these. It's very stable and simple to use if
you don't want sophistication. It doesn't break or deteriorate
like Windows either.

But a lot of people are brainwashed into thinking that Windows is the
only OS.

I know, which is all the more amazing when it isn't even that, but just
a disk file system with unstable graphics on the top.

I'm no apologist for Windows, but that's just plain wrong.

OK, so nowadays, with the NT technology shamelessly taken from VMS,
they have a little middleware glue.

It's certainly son of VMS, but at least they fixed a few things this
time round.

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall June 20th 08 05:39 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 17:29:59 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

Assembler per se has gone. But functional programming still has a module
in the first year, and distributed computing in the second. They get
TCP/IP in the first year (from me!)

So there's hope yet. They're not all becoming CCIEs, able to
regurgitate the IOS manuals but not understanding about networks.

That's not teaching. That's training.

Exactly. That's why I have a pet aversion to anything described as
"training". It's the antithesis to learning.

Einstein once said:

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

"Training" would have been an even more applicable word than education.

The sad thing is that most people don't understand the differences
between these three and use them interchangeably.

Andy Hall June 20th 08 05:40 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 09:34:36 +0100, Mark said:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 00:05:22 +0100, Andy Hall

Have you tried a Mac?

OS/X has about 4-5 icons in the dock after loading and most common
things can be done from these. It's very stable and simple to use if
you don't want sophistication. It doesn't break or deteriorate
like Windows either.

But a lot of people are brainwashed into thinking that Windows is the
only OS.

I know, which is all the more amazing when it isn't even that, but just
a disk file system with unstable graphics on the top.

I'm no apologist for Windows, but that's just plain wrong.

OK, so nowadays, with the NT technology shamelessly taken from VMS,
they have a little middleware glue.

It's certainly son of VMS, but at least they fixed a few things this
time round.

Taking out the DECNET stack? ;-)

Clive George June 20th 08 05:45 PM

Demise of Ebay?

Einstein once said:

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

"Training" would have been an even more applicable word than education.

The sad thing is that most people don't understand the differences between
these three and use them interchangeably.

Something we agree on. Training is for monkeys - I don't do it. Never stop
learning though.

clive

Tim Ward June 20th 08 05:50 PM

Demise of Ebay?

"Clive George" wrote in message

Training is for monkeys - I don't do it.

Sometimes it is useful to be able to do the right thing *now*, rather than
in a few seconds' time when you have worked it out from first principles.
Particularly if your brain is already overloaded.

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb

Man at B&Q June 20th 08 05:53 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 16:26:41 +0100, "Man at B&Q" said:

[...]

Who doesn't have tracking? Tracking was available on the Canada post
website.

I've just done exactly that today (Milton Keynes depot). The phone was
answered within three rings (after listening to a choice of options)
and the guy on the other end was very helpful and pleasant.

In the real world, I class that as good service form Canada Post and
Parcel Force.

Herein lies the problem.

No problem to me.

Acceptance of crappy service because the
person was nice. I'm pleased if people are nice, but I would also
like them to get the job done quickly and efficiently and with little
or preferably no intervention from me.

He did. I didn't "intervene". I rang up and paid what I owed.

Now I just have to ring customs to find out why they held onto the
parcel for four days.

Because nobody had done the proper clearances while the goods were in
transit and had not corrected any issues before the involvement of
Customs.

It's never happened before so I fully expect the problem is with
customs.

MBQ

Andy Hall June 20th 08 05:58 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 17:50:37 +0100, "Tim Ward" said:

"Clive George" wrote in message

Training is for monkeys - I don't do it.

Sometimes it is useful to be able to do the right thing *now*, rather than
in a few seconds' time when you have worked it out from first principles.
Particularly if your brain is already overloaded.

The trouble with that is that you then have to trust the training.
That's something that is very difficult to do if you are someone who
learns. Learning doesn't have to imply first principles. It can
also mean sorting, checking and comparison of information from
different sources.

Andy Hall June 20th 08 06:06 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 16:26:41 +0100, "Man at B&Q" said:

[...]

This is often the case when the services of public postal services are
used. As you saw, even having that information did not result in
good service because nobody was really taking responsibility for
expediting the shipment.

Acceptance of crappy service because the
person was nice. I'm pleased if people are nice, but I would also
like them to get the job done quickly and efficiently and with little
or preferably no intervention from me.

He did. I didn't "intervene". I rang up and paid what I owed.

A more useful service would be one of notification and even better
clearance followed by an invoice afterwards.

Now I just have to ring customs to find out why they held onto the
parcel for four days.

Because nobody had done the proper clearances while the goods were in
transit and had not corrected any issues before the involvement of
Customs.

It's never happened before so I fully expect the problem is with
customs.

Very unlikely.

It would be an interesting but fruitless exercise to contact Canada
post and ask them to give you an explanation for the delay. They were
paid for the service, not HMRC.

Clive George June 20th 08 06:16 PM

Demise of Ebay?

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:485be383@qaanaaq...

A more useful service would be one of notification and even better
clearance followed by an invoice afterwards.

That would be a poor business decision for them. Insisting on payment before
delivery means they don't need to worry about bad debts. Would you issue
credit to a name and address you knew nothing about?

(otherwise opportunity for fraud is trivial - fake name, drop box for
address, collect parcel, ignore invoice).

clive

Andy Hall June 20th 08 06:36 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 18:16:23 +0100, "Clive George" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:485be383@qaanaaq...

A more useful service would be one of notification and even better
clearance followed by an invoice afterwards.

That would be a poor business decision for them. Insisting on payment
before delivery means they don't need to worry about bad debts. Would
you issue credit to a name and address you knew nothing about?

(otherwise opportunity for fraud is trivial - fake name, drop box for
address, collect parcel, ignore invoice).

clive

Setting up an account with credit checks done in advance would resolve
that issue.

Jules[_2_] June 20th 08 06:40 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:20:48 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
So shop in other places than Ebay.

There are some thing that a re much easier to find on eBay.

As a self-professed "people should make their own choices" nut, I wonder
why you think people shouldn't be allowed to make a choice to use eBay
(and Postal Orders) if that's what they think soles their need the best.

The way I look at it, if you don't like ebay but want to use it,
there's little point whinging in public about it.

I can't stand ebay, and I'm yet to find anything that I need and
can't obtain in a way that's somehow better (cheaper / faster / less
risky etc.) elsewhere. Maybe I'll buy something on there one day, but I
probably don't have any business grumbling about it when I do :)

cheers

Jules

Jules[_2_] June 20th 08 06:42 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:58:49 +0100, Chris Shore wrote:
If my own experience is anything to go by, the longer one works with
computers
the more cynical one gets about what they are claimed to be able to do!

Actually, I suspect there's an awful lot of truth in that!

Clive George June 20th 08 06:46 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 18:16:23 +0100, "Clive George"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:485be383@qaanaaq...

A more useful service would be one of notification and even better
clearance followed by an invoice afterwards.

That would be a poor business decision for them. Insisting on payment
before delivery means they don't need to worry about bad debts. Would you
issue credit to a name and address you knew nothing about?

(otherwise opportunity for fraud is trivial - fake name, drop box for
address, collect parcel, ignore invoice).

Setting up an account with credit checks done in advance would resolve
that issue.

Indeed. However it's an unnecessary additional overhead, and thus it makes
sense for the public carriers to not do that. That leaves a market for
value-added couriers to perform that service. Everybody wins.

Andy Hall June 20th 08 06:52 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 18:16:23 +0100, "Clive George" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:485be383@qaanaaq...

A more useful service would be one of notification and even better
clearance followed by an invoice afterwards.

That would be a poor business decision for them. Insisting on payment
before delivery means they don't need to worry about bad debts. Would
you issue credit to a name and address you knew nothing about?

(otherwise opportunity for fraud is trivial - fake name, drop box for
address, collect parcel, ignore invoice).

Setting up an account with credit checks done in advance would resolve
that issue.

Indeed. However it's an unnecessary additional overhead, and thus it
makes sense for the public carriers to not do that. That leaves a
market for value-added couriers to perform that service. Everybody wins.

That's reasonable. Sadly people seem to believe that the crappy
service provided by the public carriers is the industry norm because
they have not experienced anything better.

Clive George June 20th 08 07:07 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 18:46:40 +0100, "Clive George"

On 2008-06-20 18:16:23 +0100, "Clive George"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[...]

TBH for a single parcel delivery, it's a lot less hassle for me to pay
before delivery than to go through the joy of pre-arranging an account etc.
So for occasional use the pay before delivery works better too. This is why
private carriers also do it this way - they know a sufficient portion of
their business is with people who don't want an account that it's not worth
working in just that fashion.

And as regards crappy service provided by public carriers - as previously
noted, our experiences differ here. I consistently get good service from
RM/post office/whatever, whereas private carriers have been a right pain
sometimes.

clive

Bob Eager June 20th 08 07:08 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 09:34:36 +0100, Mark said:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 00:05:22 +0100, Andy Hall

Have you tried a Mac?

OS/X has about 4-5 icons in the dock after loading and most common
things can be done from these. It's very stable and simple to use if
you don't want sophistication. It doesn't break or deteriorate
like Windows either.

But a lot of people are brainwashed into thinking that Windows is the
only OS.

I know, which is all the more amazing when it isn't even that, but just
a disk file system with unstable graphics on the top.

I'm no apologist for Windows, but that's just plain wrong.

OK, so nowadays, with the NT technology shamelessly taken from VMS,
they have a little middleware glue.

It's certainly son of VMS, but at least they fixed a few things this
time round.

Taking out the DECNET stack? ;-)

Well, yes...although nothing inherently wrong with that when it was
invented. I was thinking of the show-stopping limits in the file system.

http://www.diybanter.com

Bob Eager June 20th 08 07:09 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 17:40:09 UTC, Jules
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:20:48 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
So shop in other places than Ebay.

There are some thing that a re much easier to find on eBay.

As a self-professed "people should make their own choices" nut, I wonder
why you think people shouldn't be allowed to make a choice to use eBay
(and Postal Orders) if that's what they think soles their need the best.

The way I look at it, if you don't like ebay but want to use it,
there's little point whinging in public about it.

I can't stand ebay, and I'm yet to find anything that I need and
can't obtain in a way that's somehow better (cheaper / faster / less
risky etc.) elsewhere. Maybe I'll buy something on there one day, but I
probably don't have any business grumbling about it when I do :)

I agree...although I did buy somethign recently that I doubt I'd have
found elsewhere.

A microfiche reader, in good condition, *with printer*. 77 quid!

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall June 20th 08 07:33 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 19:07:46 +0100, "Clive George" said:

TBH for a single parcel delivery, it's a lot less hassle for me to pay
before delivery than to go through the joy of pre-arranging an account
etc. So for occasional use the pay before delivery works better too.
This is why private carriers also do it this way - they know a
sufficient portion of their business is with people who don't want an
account that it's not worth working in just that fashion.

It's reasonable to offer a choice, although there is no need to have
accounts with every supplier. However, as a principle, I much
prefer to have control of part or all of the payment until after the
goods or services are delivered.

And as regards crappy service provided by public carriers - as
previously noted, our experiences differ here. I consistently get good
service from RM/post office/whatever, whereas private carriers have
been a right pain sometimes.

Obviously one should choose based on performance.

Andy Hall June 20th 08 07:35 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 19:09:00 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

I agree...although I did buy somethign recently that I doubt I'd have
found elsewhere.

A microfiche reader, in good condition, *with printer*. 77 quid!

Was that to read the VMS sources? At one time, that was the only way
that DEC would supply them to customers where they couldn't get away
with escrow. I suppose that they thought that it would take someone
a very long time to type it all in.

magwitch[_2_] June 20th 08 08:03 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 14:07:35 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message 485b53c4@qaanaaq, at 07:52:52 on Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Andy
Hall remarked:

Seriously though, Andy seemed to be implying that going to the post
office
was a waste of time (when compared to doing "post officey things"
online)
- I only see it that way if I'm going to the post office to do a single
chore.

There are only four things that I have done at the post office in the
last year:

- Send a package of information by Special Delivery to my accountant.
This happens every couple of months. Considering the time taken
waiting to be served, it would be cheaper to send it with a courier
who will collect.

Example: 3 years ago renewed my passport and driving licence (due to a
change of surname) got the driving licence back within the week and the
passport took about 10 days, both safely delivered by Royal Mail.

My husband renewed his passport about 6 months later when they'd
switched to using a courier — took about a month, because the special
courier aborted delivery 3 times.

Pick the right time of day and the queue will be shorter. It's
frustrating to wait for more than ten minutes I agree. If you are
sending things as a business then paying for a courier will make more
sense than if it was a personal item being shipped.

Whether it's my business or my personal time it's expensive. Either way
I can be much more productive by not having to wait around in queues at
the Post Office.

Even worse having to wait in all day for a courier... at least if it's
not in that day's post you know it won't be there until the next
delivery and do other things.

- Renewed vehicle excise duty for the car. That took 45 minutes of
waiting in line while people who didn't have the right or complete
set of information argued with the counter staff or chatted about the
weather. Last time, it was renewed on line - a time saving of an
hour overall. I won't be using the Post Office for that again

Only because they've closed about half the post offices, as people still
need the service, the ones that still exist will be busier.

I've had two lost in the post on the way back to me. On balance I
would probably now still order online, but only because I now know how
to get a replacement in only half a dozen letters and phone calls.

Not my experience, posted two cheques (1st class) this week and both got
there the next day.

- Collection of an imported parcel and payment of VAT. That
involved a wait in the rain of 30 mins and surly service. Royal
Mail is still out of touch with customer service. I now mandate
that professional private courier services are used and don't place
business with anybody using Royal Mail

At a Post Office? How odd. Everywhere I've lived you do that (and
other similar transactions) at the sorting office. And there are
rarely any queues, albeit they have rather restricted opening hours.

The sorting office is at the Post Office. They may be seaparate
organisations but have the same bad public sector culture of the past.
Hopeless.

In 'the past' when we were snowed in, the postman brought us our milk
and butter as well as the mail. The past was better.

- Return of goods purchased on line. I now favour suppliers who
a have a return arrangement where the goods are collected.

Which they charge you for in the general price of their goods. But if
that's affordable for you, then who are we to criticise how you spend
your money.

This isn't the issue. If they sell defective goods, then they should be
dealing with that problem.

Most on-line suppliers I use include a pre-paid returns label. Repack
item stick label on and post getting proof of postage. Simple.

in either case there are plenty of places to meet socially for a chat
with willing participants rather than getting in the way of people
who simply want to make what should be quick and efficient simple
business transactions.

When I lived in Somerset, that place was at the supermarket checkout
till. sigh

Clearly the Post Office has lost all touch with reality since it
launched its "People's Post Office" marketing. What kind of sh*t
is that? It demonstrates that they have lost the plot completely.

You ought to visit some of the villages where their POs are under threat
of closure... the people seem to want to keep them and even their local
parish councils are thinking of subsidising them to keep them open.

The Natural Philosopher June 20th 08 08:09 PM

Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-20 14:55:18 +0100, "Chris Shore"
said:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message 485aa098@qaanaaq, at 19:08:24 on Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Andy
Hall
remarked:
My window cleaner seems to be fine at cleaning windows, and yes I pay
him by cheque.

Really?

Yes, he seems to prefer it to cash.

Possibly so he can avoid carrying large amounts of cash around towards
the
end
of the day?

We pay ours by cheque most of the time as well.

Since I have to make trips to holes in the wall to get cash (or
remember to
ask for
it when paying in the supermarket), I regard cash as a scarce
commodity only
to be
used when other means will not do.

Chris

Absolutely. That should be the next thing to go after the abolition
of cheques. No need for it.

Rubbish.

Cash.

You can only lose what's in your pocket.
Losing that no way compromises you bank account.
You can get it almost anywhere if you take a card.
There are no hidden charges, with cash.
Cash does not say anything about you, where you are or what you are
spending it on to anyone connected (fraudulently or otherwise) to your
bank account.
Cash provides an easy way to limit spending: draw so much and when its
all gone, stop buying crap.
You don't have to remember your PIN number after you have got the cash.
If you hold onto your cash, the bank cant lose it for you.
If you don't tell the government you have it, they can't lose it for you
either.

Credit card fraud is rising faster than people are stopping using cash.
The cost of that fraud is reflected back to you in bank charges.

Go cash young man. It's safer.

Mary Fisher June 20th 08 08:09 PM

Demise of Ebay?

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
And do their shopping online to give them time for outings as well.

I've 'eard that most people enjoy shopping. It IS an outing.

Especially to places like garden centres.

I enjoy shopping - I just hardly ever do it in shops. Apart from food
shopping and scavenging in charity shops.

Charity shops aren't bad but I only drop in when I'm passing, wouldn't want
to leave what I'm doing to go to one. Food shopping is a necessity when the
cupboard is bare. I've got it down to no more than six weekly.

Mary

Owain

magwitch[_2_] June 20th 08 08:11 PM

Demise of Ebay?

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-06-20 16:45:22 +0100, "Man at B&Q" said:

[...]

Like DHL? Delivered a pair of £70 pair of Ugg boots to the wrong
address, who honestly returned them to the PO who asked me to come and
collect them.

Like UPS? Kept a box china air-freighted from North Carolina for *6
weeks* at their depot 10 miles away and never let me know it was there.

Both these incidents took place within 3 months.