Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disputed bill being passed to "a third party"

(Previously posted on uk.legal but didn't get a very useful response)

Last year we had a new bathroom and central heating boiler fitted.
Just afterwards another company were fitting some underfloor heating
in our new extension.

It came to light that the central heating system lacked a tap or valve
to allow the system to be topped up. We asked them to come out and
fit this, which they did (not without the employee telling my wife to
f*ck off, however). They then sent us a bill for £35 for the work.
We disputed this, saying that the valve had never been there to our
knowledge, and that it should have been fitted as part of the work for
which we had already paid them. They replied by saying that either we
or the second company fitting the underfloor heating must have broken
it, claiming that the second company would have needed it to complete
the work. When we questioned this company they couldn't remember
whether the tap was there or not, but in its absence would simply have
used other tools to operate the valve. The second company telephoned
the first company to put their side but the first company never
responded.

The first company have sent us repeated reminders to pay the £35,
despite our claim that we don't owe them for the work. Their invoice
states that "overdue accounts will be passed to a third party for
collection. A collection fee will be added to your invoice value."
Since we dispute whether we should pay this, should they not instead
issue a claim in the Small Claims Court?

Thoughts? No-one from us or the second company damaged the valve, and
their employee was extremely aggressive. I know it's only £35 but it's MY
£35.

Thanks

Edward