Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting freshly plastered walls

Hi guys

Currently mid way through our ensuite re-furb and my mind has turned from
plumbing to painting. All walls and ceiling have been skimmed and is now
fully dry (plastered about 3 weeks ago).

I am thinking of taking the opportunity whilst no shower enclosure / toilet
/ basin / vanity unit are installed to give the ceiling a lick of paint,
also may paint the walls where we are not tiling.

What is the best method for painting fresh plaster? How many coats will be
required? Do I need mix some cheap emulsion with PVA (50-50) for the initial
base coat?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Slider wrote:
Hi guys

Currently mid way through our ensuite re-furb and my mind has turned from
plumbing to painting. All walls and ceiling have been skimmed and is now
fully dry (plastered about 3 weeks ago).

I am thinking of taking the opportunity whilst no shower enclosure / toilet
/ basin / vanity unit are installed to give the ceiling a lick of paint,
also may paint the walls where we are not tiling.

What is the best method for painting fresh plaster? How many coats will be
required? Do I need mix some cheap emulsion with PVA (50-50) for the initial
base coat?

TIA

IME Crown emulsion has always been fine straight from the tin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Jun, 11:01, "Slider" wrote:
Hi guys

Currently mid way through our ensuite re-furb and my mind has turned from
plumbing to painting. All walls and ceiling have been skimmed and is now
fully dry (plastered about 3 weeks ago).

I am thinking of taking the opportunity whilst no shower enclosure / toilet
/ basin / vanity unit are installed to give the ceiling a lick of paint,
also may paint the walls where we are not tiling.

What is the best method for painting fresh plaster? How many coats will be
required? Do I need mix some cheap emulsion with PVA (50-50) for the initial
base coat?

TIA

Fresh dry plaster will absorb the liquid from the paint too quickly
and the paint will end up either pealing off or dry and dusty.
Usual recommendation is a watered down first coat, but you can just
paint it with water first to stop the suction.
Or seal the plaster first with a "plaster sealer" (expensive). I do
not believe PVA is good in this instance - tends to form a skin unless
watered down itself. Also PVA might not be compatible with a paint
that does not use PVA its makeup.
Remember the problem is the suction of dry plaster, similar to the
suction of dry bricks sucking moisture from mortar.
The implies that the paint needs it's liquid (water ? something
else ?) as part of it's drying / setting method.
Anyone know about the chemistry of emulsion paint ?

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
On 13 Jun, 11:01, "Slider" wrote:
[...]

Only that the water and the solvents shouldn't be absorbed at a
different rate to the resin/pigments. It doesn't matter with the smaller
particle size emulsions, but they produce stains rather than paints.
Thinning emulsions is like adding water to custard. However much you
whip it, it's forever separate