Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mobile phone broken

Hello,

Perhaps not a DIY repair but a "it's broken, how do I fix it"
question.

My old Nokia phone is playing up. It keeps saying there is no signal
in areas where this is a very good signal on everyone else's phones.
The mobile company have said to change from automatic to manual
network selection but this doesn't solve the problem.

Do phones fail with age? Why should it suddenly stop receiving now? Is
it a matter of buying a new phone or can anything be done about it?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

My old Nokia phone is playing up. It keeps saying there is no signal
in areas where this is a very good signal on everyone else's phones.
The mobile company have said to change from automatic to manual
network selection but this doesn't solve the problem.

Do phones fail with age? Why should it suddenly stop receiving now? Is
it a matter of buying a new phone or can anything be done about it?

I have seen that happen - often seems to be a result of a loose/broken
connection inside the phone. Simplest solution is to get a new handset
and move the SIM over.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hello,

Perhaps not a DIY repair but a "it's broken, how do I fix it"
question.

My old Nokia phone is playing up. It keeps saying there is no signal
in areas where this is a very good signal on everyone else's phones.
The mobile company have said to change from automatic to manual
network selection but this doesn't solve the problem.

Do phones fail with age? Why should it suddenly stop receiving now? Is
it a matter of buying a new phone or can anything be done about it?

Thanks.

WHAt Nokia phone? I have several MK502 banana phones in partial states
of disrepair..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:17:32 +0100, John Weston
wrote:

I had a similar problem with an old Nokia phone we had, Opening it up
showed the patch antenna connection was via a simple pressure connector
onto the PCB, held in place by the case. Cleaning up around this
contact provided a fix until it eventually got replaced "because it was
too hard to read". My own phone is still an old, DIY repaired 6110...

Mine is a 5210 I think. Its the one that's supposed to be
indestructible. IIRC the internals are enclosed in a metal box, so I
don't know whether I will be able to get to the contacts easily. How
will I recognise the antenna?

It's an old sim that isn't available anymore. It is the best bits of
pay as you go and pay monthly combined, I.e. I pay monthly rather than
having to top up, but there is no monthly line rental. The calls are
very cheap and I get inclusive minutes, except to other networks when
I am stung 40ppm!

I did try it in a Nokia 6600 but the 6600 kept asking for a gprs
access point and the sim is so old it does not support gprs. I got
tired of the endless "select access point" prompts.

So I guess I will have to keep using old phones as long as I use this
old sim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You would be surprised at how little old phones go for on Ebay.

I am keeping the 502's going because they do exactly what I want, offer
a bombproof phone that will send and receive calls, can be answered in
pitch blackness by just sliding the case open, are large enough not to
get lost, and can be operated in low light by someone with normal sized
fingers and normal over 50 sort of eyesight.

The very lack of features is a huge advantage to me.

I suggest you try and pick up another one on Fleabay.