Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Caterpillars appearing from fireplace.

I have attached a link to a image of what I believe are caterpillars
which are coming from the fireplace in the front room.

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2...rpillaroi4.jpg

1. Are these in fact caterpillars
2. How did they get there and how do I get rid of them.

Lived in the house 8 years first time I have ever seen them

Many Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

noname laid this down on his screen :
I have attached a link to a image of what I believe are caterpillars which
are coming from the fireplace in the front room.

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2...rpillaroi4.jpg

1. Are these in fact caterpillars
2. How did they get there and how do I get rid of them.

I don't know, but could those be the caterpillar of the moth which
attacks wool? Could they be from your carpets?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
noname laid this down on his screen :
I have attached a link to a image of what I believe are caterpillars
which are coming from the fireplace in the front room.

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2...rpillaroi4.jpg

1. Are these in fact caterpillars
2. How did they get there and how do I get rid of them.

I don't know, but could those be the caterpillar of the moth which
attacks wool? Could they be from your carpets?

Had new carpets recently so i don't think so.
Why did you think that as a matter of interest

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I don't know, but could those be the caterpillar of the moth which
attacks wool? Could they be from your carpets?

Misread that as "caterpillar of the moNth". :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

noname presented the following explanation :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
noname laid this down on his screen :
I have attached a link to a image of what I believe are caterpillars which
are coming from the fireplace in the front room.

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2...rpillaroi4.jpg

1. Are these in fact caterpillars
2. How did they get there and how do I get rid of them.

I don't know, but could those be the caterpillar of the moth which attacks
wool? Could they be from your carpets?

Had new carpets recently so i don't think so.
Why did you think that as a matter of interest

We had a carpet attacked by them in a caravan, they look similar.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

i guess that the eggs were laid in the chimney
in some organic matter-
dead mouse?
bird stuff?

so i guess the chimney hasnt been used much
so has organic things in it
which are now hatching out...

if the chimney has been swept
and the fire used a lot
then my theory is probably wrong!

--

[george]
~ ~

"noname" wrote in message

I have attached a link to a image of what I believe are caterpillars which
are coming from the fireplace in the front room.

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2...rpillaroi4.jpg

1. Are these in fact caterpillars
2. How did they get there and how do I get rid of them.

Lived in the house 8 years first time I have ever seen them

Many Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 18:59:50 +0100, noname wrote:

1. Are these in fact caterpillars

Yes.

2. How did they get there and how do I get rid of them.

Crawled. Pick 'em up a squidge 'em or throw outside.

Seriously they could be clothes or carpet moth larvae. Have a google you
should be able to identify what they are. Once you know that a course of
action can be decided.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jj jj is offline

"noname" wrote in message

I have attached a link to a image of what I believe are caterpillars which
are coming from the fireplace in the front room.

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2...rpillaroi4.jpg

1. Are these in fact caterpillars
2. How did they get there and how do I get rid of them.

Lived in the house 8 years first time I have ever seen them

Many Thanks

Thet are larvae of the dermestes beetle. Caused by a dead bird or nesting
material in/on the chimney. Could also be coming from the roofspace.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jj formulated the question :
"noname" wrote in message

I have attached a link to a image of what I believe are caterpillars which
are coming from the fireplace in the front room.

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2...rpillaroi4.jpg

1. Are these in fact caterpillars
2. How did they get there and how do I get rid of them.

Lived in the house 8 years first time I have ever seen them

Many Thanks

Thet are larvae of the dermestes beetle. Caused by a dead bird or nesting
material in/on the chimney. Could also be coming from the roofspace.

They do not match these photos

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residen...%20beetles.htm

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 17:54:39 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

They do not match these photos

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residen...lth/Pestcontro
l/Dermestes%20ssp%20beetles.htm

How can you tell from such a small poor quality image?

http://bugguide.net/node/view/6449

Is a lot better (even if it a US/Canada site).

Digging about on http://piclib.nhm.ac.uk/piclib/www/ may find something.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice submitted this idea :
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 17:54:39 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

They do not match these photos

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residen...lth/Pestcontro
l/Dermestes%20ssp%20beetles.htm

How can you tell from such a small poor quality image?

http://bugguide.net/node/view/6449

Check out the close up photo for the 'caterpillar' stage - that one has
long legs at the front and seems to drag along its back end.

The caterpillar in the OP's photo has stumpy legs all the way to the
back end of its body, a pair for each segment.