Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT, housing repair grants

Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.
Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.
Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

Don't know much about this but if I were to apply I'd do it at the beginning
of the new tax year ie April? as I believe thats the time to apply for
grants.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jun, 12:08, "George" wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in message

Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.
*Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

Don't know much about this but if I were to apply I'd do it at the beginning
of the new tax year ie April? as I believe thats the time to apply for
grants.

yes, have been for 4 years!!
our council (Anglesey) arent known for their trustworthy transparency
with regards finances, there have been MANY TV programmes on them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
On 5 Jun, 12:08, "George" wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in message

Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.
Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

Don't know much about this but if I were to apply I'd do it at the

beginning
of the new tax year ie April? as I believe thats the time to apply for
grants.

yes, have been for 4 years!!
our council (Anglesey) arent known for their trustworthy transparency
with regards finances, there have been MANY TV programmes on them

Did you take a look at this site which is gov.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts1996..._19960053_en_1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:

Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.
Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

You have no legal entitlement to the grant. The powers given to the
council under which they make grants are discretionary rather than
statutory.

If the powers were statutory, the council would be compelled to offer
grants to those who apply and are eligible. As they are discretionary,
it is up to the council whether it makes these grants or not,
regardless of whether you would be eligible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jun, 12:14, "George" wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in message

On 5 Jun, 12:08, "George" wrote:

"Staffbull" wrote in message

Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.
Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

Don't know much about this but if I were to apply I'd do it at the

beginning
of the new tax year ie April? as I believe thats the time to apply for
grants.

yes, have been for 4 years!!
our council (Anglesey) arent known for their trustworthy transparency
with regards finances, there have been MANY TV programmes on them

Did you take a look at this site which is gov.http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts1996..._19960053_en_1

Hi thanks, just had a look as I couldnt find anything under google!!
it doesnt seem to have anything in relation to my argument which is,
they are taking all the Islanders council tax and spending a large
proportion on repairing their housing stock, whilst not supplying ANY
grant funds for private houses.
so they are taking all funds from the treasury plus council tax money
and gaining from bettering their housing stock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.
Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

Please tell me I have firmly grasped the wrong end of this stick - you own
your own private house and you want the local council to help you pay for a
new roof ?
I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't understand the question very well.

Cheers,
Franko.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Franko" wrote in message

"Staffbull" wrote in message
Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.
Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

Please tell me I have firmly grasped the wrong end of this stick - you own
your own private house and you want the local council to help you pay for

new roof ?
I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't understand the question very well.

Cheers,
Franko.

Visit the link I posted and you find out as to wether who's entitled to gov
housing grants.

Sheeesh! a woman I know got a grant for a new roof including
internal&external repairs to her own owned house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Staffbull wrote:
Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.

Most even though they do have some provision run out quickly - and don't
hold over applications to the next year. So the trick is to get in the
application right at the start of their financial year.

Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

The grants are discretionary. They're also likely to insist on other
things being brought up to their spec which could cost you more than just
paying outright for the roof.

--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jun, 17:38, "George" wrote:
"Franko" wrote in message

"Staffbull" wrote in message
Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.
Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

Please tell me I have firmly grasped the wrong end of this stick - you own
your own private house and you want the local council to help you pay for

new roof ?
I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't understand the question very well.

Cheers,
Franko.

Visit the link I posted and you find out as to wether who's entitled to gov
housing grants.

Sheeesh! a woman I know got a grant for a new roof including
internal&external repairs to her own owned house.- Hide quoted text -

Hi, yes I'm entitiled, just need them to have some cash in the pot!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jun, 16:45, "Franko" wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in message

Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.
Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

Please tell me I have firmly grasped the wrong end of this stick - you own
your own private house and you want the local council to help you pay for a
new roof ?
I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't understand the question very well.

Cheers,
Franko.

Yes, thats what housing repair grants are for
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 12:02*pm, Staffbull wrote:

Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.
*Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

IMLE most people that say they need a new roof dont at all.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jun, 09:43, wrote:
On Jun 5, 12:02*pm, Staffbull wrote:

Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.
*Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

IMLE most people that say they need a new roof dont at all.

NT

Hi, this does, the timbers are inadequate and the slates are beggining
to break, with quite pronounced sagging. Also no felt underneath.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
On 6 Jun, 09:43, wrote:
On Jun 5, 12:02 pm, Staffbull wrote:

Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.
Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

IMLE most people that say they need a new roof dont at all.

NT

Hi, this does, the timbers are inadequate and the slates are beggining
to break, with quite pronounced sagging. Also no felt underneath.

This is a diy group, why don't you fix it?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Staffbull" wrote in message
On 6 Jun, 09:43, wrote:
On Jun 5, 12:02 pm, Staffbull wrote:

Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.
Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

IMLE most people that say they need a new roof dont at all.

NT

Hi, this does, the timbers are inadequate and the slates are beggining
to break, with quite pronounced sagging. Also no felt underneath.

This is a diy group, why don't you fix it?

Mary

A few tiles and a bit of Felt,YES...... a whole roof I dont think soooooo!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jun, 20:04, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in message

On 6 Jun, 09:43, wrote:

On Jun 5, 12:02 pm, Staffbull wrote:

Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay
for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been
told there is no provision for grant maoey at all.
Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they
say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

IMLE most people that say they need a new roof dont at all.

NT

Hi, this does, the timbers are inadequate and the slates are beggining
to break, with quite pronounced sagging. Also no felt underneath.

This is a diy group, why don't you fix it?

Mary

Beyond my scope, renewing entire roofing timbers, and the price of
slates too boot!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 03:36:12 -0700 (PDT), Staffbull wrote:

Beyond my scope, renewing entire roofing timbers, and the price of
slates too boot!

Unless the slates are in really poor condition you reuse 'em. Means you
only have to buy say 25% new rather than 100%...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Jun, 14:20, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 03:36:12 -0700 (PDT), Staffbull wrote:
Beyond my scope, renewing entire roofing timbers, and the price of
slates too boot!

Unless the slates are in really poor condition you reuse 'em. Means you
only have to buy say 25% new rather than 100%...

--
Cheers
Dave.

I wouldnt mind doing that, but would be looking at £3k plus I'd
imagine for the timber work and re roofing with old slates, roof area
of 60m2 roughly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
On 8 Jun, 14:20, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 03:36:12 -0700 (PDT), Staffbull wrote:
Beyond my scope, renewing entire roofing timbers, and the price of
slates too boot!

Unless the slates are in really poor condition you reuse 'em. Means you
only have to buy say 25% new rather than 100%...

--
Cheers
Dave.

I wouldnt mind doing that, but would be looking at £3k plus I'd
imagine for the timber work and re roofing with old slates, roof area
of 60m2 roughly.

So you want the tax payer to shell out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
On 8 Jun, 14:20, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 03:36:12 -0700 (PDT), Staffbull wrote:
Beyond my scope, renewing entire roofing timbers, and the price of
slates too boot!

Unless the slates are in really poor condition you reuse 'em. Means you
only have to buy say 25% new rather than 100%...

--
Cheers
Dave.

I wouldnt mind doing that, but would be looking at £3k plus I'd
imagine for the timber work and re roofing with old slates, roof area
of 60m2 roughly.

Could you please do me a favour and ask them to pop round and replace my
rotten roof when they have finished with yours as I've spent all of my money
on a holiday in Mexico and it's left me a bit skint.
Ps: I am a taxpayer so it should all be ok.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Jun, 09:32, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in message

On 8 Jun, 14:20, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 03:36:12 -0700 (PDT), Staffbull wrote:
Beyond my scope, renewing entire roofing timbers, and the price of
slates too boot!

Unless the slates are in really poor condition you reuse 'em. Means you
only have to buy say 25% new rather than 100%...

--
Cheers
Dave.

I wouldnt mind doing that, but would be looking at £3k plus I'd
imagine for the timber work and re roofing with old slates, roof area
of 60m2 roughly.

So you want the tax payer to shell out.

Well if I dont someone else will, if a grant is available why should I
not claim? at one pint I was paying over £10k a year in tax, if I have
some back all the better.
Tax payers are shelling out for MP's to have their houses done up to
the tune of £23k a year each, and even paying for childcare, so why
not my roof eh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Staffbull" wrote in message
On 8 Jun, 14:20, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 03:36:12 -0700 (PDT), Staffbull wrote:
Beyond my scope, renewing entire roofing timbers, and the price of
slates too boot!

Unless the slates are in really poor condition you reuse 'em. Means you
only have to buy say 25% new rather than 100%...

--
Cheers
Dave.

I wouldnt mind doing that, but would be looking at £3k plus I'd
imagine for the timber work and re roofing with old slates, roof area
of 60m2 roughly.

So you want the tax payer to shell out.

No,he wants his roof done via the working tax he paid whilst working and
paying tax.
Same as the woman who I mentioned earlier,she paid tax right up to when she
had to cease working to bring up her children and it wasn't till later on in
life she applied for the grant ie she was a widow with no substantial income
other than her pension.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Staffbull" wrote in message
On 8 Jun, 14:20, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 03:36:12 -0700 (PDT), Staffbull wrote:
Beyond my scope, renewing entire roofing timbers, and the price of
slates too boot!

Unless the slates are in really poor condition you reuse 'em. Means you
only have to buy say 25% new rather than 100%...

--
Cheers
Dave.

I wouldnt mind doing that, but would be looking at £3k plus I'd
imagine for the timber work and re roofing with old slates, roof area
of 60m2 roughly.

So you want the tax payer to shell out.

No,he wants his roof done via the working tax he paid whilst working and
paying tax.

Unfortunately they didn't keep it and spent it on something else (he may not
have wanted) so the current tax payer will have to pay. They don't stick it
in the bank for when you need it, you know!

It's a pointless argument - if a grant exists, he is perfectly entitled to
apply for it and it is right he should do so. If the grant is discretionary,
the grant issuing body is perfectly entitled to withdraw the grant in the
light of whatever the current circumstances are, and it is right they
should. End of.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants [email protected] UK diy 112 April 6th 10 11:41 AM
What is the difference between a $7 housing and a $120 housing for recessed lights? MiamiCuse Home Repair 1 February 16th 08 03:43 PM
Low carbon building grants kd UK diy 0 October 29th 06 09:51 AM
central heating grants Nick UK diy 3 January 9th 04 11:06 PM