Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gritish Bas on the make?

Changed two vents for a customer today on an exterior wall. Boiler was in a
cupboard on the other side of the wall. Two vents on the interior wall.

The old vents were obviously built into the brickwork when the house was
built (1960's), brown plastic ones.

Gritish Bas apparently told the client that he had to have the vents changed
as the existing ones were not suitable. If not, they would cut off his gas
supply. They wanted £200 to do the job.

Customer bought the vents they specified, white plastic ones of a well known
brand name that I can't recall.

Broke out the old vents, enlarged the openings very slightly & replaced the
vents, hour and a half, £55. Doddle of a job.

The old vents had a sticker specifying a free air area of 19.5 sq ins, the
new BG specified ones were 21.5 sq ins.

Are Gritish Bas having a laugh here - or more likely tucking up the punter
something chronic?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Changed two vents for a customer today on an exterior wall. Boiler was in
a cupboard on the other side of the wall. Two vents on the interior wall.

It depends on the type of boiler, not being CORGI registered you probably
don't have a clue.

The old vents were obviously built into the brickwork when the house was
built (1960's), brown plastic ones.

Gritish Bas apparently told the client that he had to have the vents
changed as the existing ones were not suitable. If not, they would cut
off his gas supply. They wanted £200 to do the job.

That is correct, look at the various regulations. Maybe £200 was a bit
much.
It depends on the type of boiler and whether there is a gas fire in the
room.

Customer bought the vents they specified, white plastic ones of a well
known brand name that I can't recall.

Broke out the old vents, enlarged the openings very slightly & replaced
the vents, hour and a half, £55. Doddle of a job.

Good, but why didn't you question the reason for doing them. If you suggest
they
were not required then you have ripped off the customer by doing work that
isn't required.

The old vents had a sticker specifying a free air area of 19.5 sq ins, the
new BG specified ones were 21.5 sq ins.

Go away and calculate the air flow through them and the area of the room.

Are Gritish Bas having a laugh here - or more likely tucking up the punter
something chronic?

I think you're the one who has just admitted to doing a job you don't think
was
required. Regulations and Health & Safety are no laughing matter - wait
until
someone is killed and see. I hope you learn to leave things alone if you do
not understand them!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Maybe someone to avoid!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Changed two vents for a customer today on an exterior wall. Boiler was in a
cupboard on the other side of the wall. Two vents on the interior wall.

Are Gritish Bas having a laugh here - or more likely tucking up the punter
something chronic?

I hope you told the customer to change to another insurance

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rob writes

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
Changed two vents for a customer today on an exterior wall. Boiler was in
a cupboard on the other side of the wall. Two vents on the interior wall.

It depends on the type of boiler, not being CORGI registered you probably
don't have a clue.

I think you're the one who has just admitted to doing a job you don't think
was
required. Regulations and Health & Safety are no laughing matter - wait
until
someone is killed and see. I hope you learn to leave things alone if you do
not understand them!

Dave - The Medway Handyman

Maybe someone to avoid!

Had he not done what the customer asked of him having been told by BG
that it was necessary?

sort of like

"Sorry mate, I really don't think that you need that decking, you should
put it to grass"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 22:15:26 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

When we stupidly had a service contract with BG, their trained pup who did
the annual safety check stated that the basket on our boiler flue wasn't to
spec (too small allegedly). I told him he was talking total b*ll*cks &
reminded him that the flue was in fact over 2m above ground and didn't
require a basket anyway. The contract wasn't renewed!

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rob wrote

Regulations and Health & Safety are no laughing matter - wait
until
someone is killed and see. I hope you learn to leave things alone if you do
not understand them!

British Gas take a completely cavalier attitude to safety. The last
safety check that BG insisted on doing in my house was undertaken by one
of their a sub contractors in under 5 seconds!

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob coughed up some electrons that declared:

I think you're the one who has just admitted to doing a job you don't
think was
required. Regulations and Health & Safety are no laughing matter - wait
until
someone is killed and see. I hope you learn to leave things alone if you
do not understand them!

Bit harsh isn't it? The way I read it is that Dave did the job that BG
specified with the specified parts.

But he appears to be questioning two things:

a) £200 labour cost vs. £55

b) A curiosity (which I agree requires appropriate knowledge to comment on)
concerning the benefit of an extra 1 sq inch per vent.

I do realise that a square inch may be significant and there are probably
precise calculations or tables concerning these things. But he did not
attempt to alter the specified work, he did what he was asked to.

Seems perfectly professional behaviour AFAICS.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Rob coughed up some electrons that declared:

I think you're the one who has just admitted to doing a job you don't
think was
required. Regulations and Health & Safety are no laughing matter - wait
until
someone is killed and see. I hope you learn to leave things alone if you
do not understand them!

Bit harsh isn't it?

It's Rob the tiscali idiot. Makes a single post consisting of mindless
drivel then ****es off again. Best ignored.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Rob wrote

Regulations and Health & Safety are no laughing matter - wait
until
someone is killed and see. I hope you learn to leave things alone if you
do
not understand them!

British Gas take a completely cavalier attitude to safety. The last safety
check that BG insisted on doing in my house was undertaken by one of their
a sub contractors in under 5 seconds!

I've had worse - they actually left my house in a dangerous state. Changed
the meter and checked the cooker worked. "What about the fire in the front
room" says I. "Oh that'll be OK" says he an p*sses off.

Hmmm. Go into front room, light gas fire and sit on carpet watching it. 15
secs later it goes out as air comes through, then just gas (old fire mind
you, with no flame detect but he never checked either way). Previous
occupant was an old lady who might well have lit the fire and toddled off to
make a cuppa.

And he disn't clear up the mess where he drilled through the wall

I tend to avoid BG

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Changed two vents for a customer today on an exterior wall. Boiler was in
a cupboard on the other side of the wall. Two vents on the interior wall.

The old vents were obviously built into the brickwork when the house was
built (1960's), brown plastic ones.

Gritish Bas apparently told the client that he had to have the vents
changed as the existing ones were not suitable. If not, they would cut
off his gas supply. They wanted £200 to do the job.

Customer bought the vents they specified, white plastic ones of a well
known brand name that I can't recall.

Broke out the old vents, enlarged the openings very slightly & replaced
the vents, hour and a half, £55. Doddle of a job.

The old vents had a sticker specifying a free air area of 19.5 sq ins, the
new BG specified ones were 21.5 sq ins.

Have you done the maths just in case BG got it wrong and you need bigger
vents?
I doubt if 10% makes much difference, however if it isn't marked on the
outside how does anyone know?
A sticker on the inside is less use than a chocolate tea pot.

Are Gritish Bas having a laugh here - or more likely tucking up the punter
something chronic?

Just covering their backs, I bet you have done the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Rob wrote

[...]

Hmm, I wonder what the fault condition is to cause that?
You need to bleed the air from appliances with pilot lights as air can get
in while you are changing the meter.
Air shouldn't get into a pipe sealed at one end unless you leave it open for
ages.
It implies there is a fault in the fire or someone turned it on while the
meter was being changed.
Having observed the potential problem did you call BG so they could come
back and find the fault?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Rob wrote

[...]

No fault, it was just open for ages. Diffusion rates for gases are
reasonably high, especially where there is a density difference to help

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:50:49 +0100, "Rob" wrote:

[...]

That was rather harsh. As BG had declared new vents to be mandatory it
appears that all TMH has done is saved the customer £145.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim S saying
something like:

Seems perfectly professional behaviour AFAICS.

Indeed. Rob is just a ******.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Rob wrote

[...]

When they changed my meter a few weeks ago he plugged the pipes as soon as
he disconnected them.

He bled the cooker and checked the boiler but not the fire.
Not that anything happened when I lit the fire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 22:15:26 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Are Gritish Bas having a laugh here - or more likely tucking up the
punter something chronic?

Depends on the precise calculated ventilation requirements for the boiler.
The regs are about to change (from July 1st) so that if ventilation for an
appliance is under 90% of the calculated amount then it must be
declared At Risk and the appliance should be disconnected from
the gas supply (with the owner's permission) and a written warning issued.
Before July 1st anything down to 40% of correct ventilation was simply
'Not to Current Standards' and could be left as-is with an arse-covering
warning.

--
John Stumbles

The clairvoyants' meeting has been cancelled due to unforseen circumstances.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

I've had worse - they actually left my house in a dangerous state. Changed
the meter and checked the cooker worked. "What about the fire in the front
room" says I. "Oh that'll be OK" says he an p*sses off.

Hmmm. Go into front room, light gas fire and sit on carpet watching it. 15
secs later it goes out as air comes through, then just gas (old fire mind
you, with no flame detect but he never checked either way). Previous
occupant was an old lady who might well have lit the fire and toddled off
to make a cuppa.

A charitable explanation is he took a shortcut coz he'd seen that you were
an apparently competent person who wouldn't have done that.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 3, 11:50 pm, "Rob" wrote:
It depends on the type of boiler, not being CORGI registered you probably
don't have a clue.

Do you?

Broke out the old vents, enlarged the openings very slightly & replaced
the vents, hour and a half, £55. Doddle of a job.

Good, but why didn't you question the reason for doing them. If you suggest
they
were not required

He didn't.

then you have ripped off the customer by doing work that
isn't required.

He hasn't.

The old vents had a sticker specifying a free air area of 19.5 sq ins, the
new BG specified ones were 21.5 sq ins.

Go away and calculate the air flow through them and the area of the room.

Why?

Are Gritish Bas having a laugh here - or more likely tucking up the punter
something chronic?

I think you're the one who has just admitted to doing a job you don't think
was
required.

He admitted to doing a job a lot cheaper than BG wanted.

Regulations and Health & Safety are no laughing matter - wait
until
someone is killed and see. I hope you learn to leave things alone if you do
not understand them!

What's to understand? BG specified exactly what was required and he
did the job.

Maybe someone to avoid!

Yes, you!

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John Stumbles wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 22:15:26 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Are Gritish Bas having a laugh here - or more likely tucking up the
punter something chronic?

Depends on the precise calculated ventilation requirements for the boiler.
The regs are about to change (from July 1st) so that if ventilation for an
appliance is under 90% of the calculated amount then it must be
declared At Risk and the appliance should be disconnected from
the gas supply (with the owner's permission) and a written warning issued.
Before July 1st anything down to 40% of correct ventilation was simply
'Not to Current Standards' and could be left as-is with an arse-covering
warning.

Just looking at exactly this topic. We wish to replace the door on a
compartment containing a gas boiler.

Followed a link to Corgi Direct, saw this:

"The Compartment/Ventilation Labels, which are self-adhesive, give the
gas user important information in a clear and easy-to-understand manner
that their gas appliance is installed in a compartment and that they
should not use the compartment for storage, block off any ventilation
provisions or keep the compartment door closed. Also the gas operative's
name and registration number can be included."

But the label says:

"Keep the compartment door CLOSED at all times, except for access"

http://www.corgi-direct.com/catalogue/Labels-Domestic/WL8-CORGIdirect-Compartment-Ventilation-Labels.aspx

So - is the door to be kept open? Or closed? :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jun 3, 11:50 pm, "Rob" wrote:
[...]

MBQ,

"What's to understand? BG specified exactly what was required...."

Could well be that the BG engineer was wrong!

He was when one tried that little 'trick' on me a few years ago, on a two
year old wall mounted Baxi Solo fitted into a cupboard (bought from BG and
fitted by their installers) with a balanced flue and no wall vents in the
room - and also telling me that he was condemning the boiler anyway as it
shouldn't have been in a cupboard (despite a bloody great notice [still
there] that was stuck on the boiler casing saying the contrary).

BTW, this boiler choice and installation was as discussed and agreed with
the rep who called to give me a quote to replace a rather dead Potterton
Neat-a-Heat - as I wanted a direct replacement in the same location and no
bloody great holes through the wall.

A very short discussion with the 'engineer' (newly employed by BG at the
time and on a sales commission) - along with the reading of the boiler
spec's soon put him right - and no problems since (even with different
engineers).

He just tried it on with the wrong person - and after I had just done a
straight 24 hour stint with no sleep on my normal day shift and about six
overnight emergency call-outs - boy was I grumpier than usual.

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Rob
wrote

[...]

Never plugged any pipes.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
et...
"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

I've had worse - they actually left my house in a dangerous state.
Changed the meter and checked the cooker worked. "What about the fire in
the front room" says I. "Oh that'll be OK" says he an p*sses off.

Hmmm. Go into front room, light gas fire and sit on carpet watching it.
15 secs later it goes out as air comes through, then just gas (old fire
mind you, with no flame detect but he never checked either way). Previous
occupant was an old lady who might well have lit the fire and toddled off
to make a cuppa.

A charitable explanation is he took a shortcut coz he'd seen that you were
an apparently competent person who wouldn't have done that.

Ah, if only it were true that I gave off that air of competence!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 14:43:13 +0100, Rod wrote:

So - is the door to be kept open? Or closed? :-)

Yes, definitely ;-)

BTW I think I replied to your other post on compartment ventilation.

--
John Stumbles

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 01:13:58 +0100, Tim S wrote:

[...]

I must check what the category that an installation with 90% of the
required ventilation fall into.

It might be "Not to current standards" which means that it ideally should
be upgraded but is not deemed as unsafe or becoming so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 00:06:27 +0100, Cerberus . wrote:

[...]

Well done. The basket is to prevent accidental contact with potentially
hot flue parts and/or things being placed against the flue and blocking
its function. Over 2m above the deck and this is so unlikely to occur
that it is deemed not worth the cost of adding the basket.

AFAIK there BS 5440 just says:

Terminal guards shall be used where necessary to prevent blockage and/or
injury to people, as required by
the relevant building regulations.

And that is ALL it says on the subject.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 17:31:20 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

It might be "Not to current standards" which means that it ideally
should be upgraded but is not deemed as unsafe or becoming so.

Thought I had something more recent from GI, but TB155 says that from 1st
June 2008 (I was out by a month :-() anything under 90% is AR. Presumably
90-100% is NCS.

--
John Stumbles

Procrastinate now!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 23:02:23 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 17:31:20 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

It might be "Not to current standards" which means that it ideally
should be upgraded but is not deemed as unsafe or becoming so.

Thought I had something more recent from GI, but TB155 says that from
1st June 2008 (I was out by a month :-() anything under 90% is AR.
Presumably 90-100% is NCS.

Yes, I remembered that the standards have been upped but not the figures.
Certainly this show who is on the fiddle, and alas, the amount of serious
technical knowledge required to bring them back to earth.