Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dot and dab.

If that's the correct name for fitting plasterboard to brick.
How easy is it? I'm useless at proper plastering.
Any tips?
The area will be tiled afterwards.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
If that's the correct name for fitting plasterboard to brick.
How easy is it? I'm useless at proper plastering.
Any tips?

Only ever done it on small areas, a couple of times, but it was very
easy (I can't plaster either). Need to be careful to get adjacent
sheets flat/level.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
If that's the correct name for fitting plasterboard to brick. How easy
is it? I'm useless at proper plastering. Any tips?

Only ever done it on small areas, a couple of times, but it was very
easy (I can't plaster either). Need to be careful to get adjacent
sheets flat/level.

David

PVA the brickwork and whip the adhesive up into a nice mousse-like
consistency. I'm no expert either, but good suction is what you're
after, and you know after a couple of minutes whether you've got that

You can always pop a screw in here and there if you get anxious. I
remember doing that at the last moment because I thought the board might
flatten the cat during the night :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
If that's the correct name for fitting plasterboard to brick.
How easy is it? I'm useless at proper plastering.

You might consider investigating a 2-3 day plastering course
nearby. I was also useless, but I'm now better than the
plasterers I hired (if not as fast). I and others have posted
quite a bit about plastering, but there's no substitute for
being shown how to do it and doing it yourself under tuition.

Trouble is you'll find friends inviting you round more often,
with the classic comment "and can you bring your trowel?"
I plastered a friend's bathroom, including completely replacing
the ceiling a few weeks ago, and that's far from the first time
(well, it was the first time for _that_ bathroom)...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
If that's the correct name for fitting plasterboard to brick.
How easy is it? I'm useless at proper plastering.
Any tips?
The area will be tiled afterwards.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Erm! as easy as riding a bike.;-)

Brush down the brickwork if it looks dusty? if you think you cannot slap the
adhesive onto the wall? then lay the plasterboard down and drop dollops of
the adhesive in all four corners and at the edges in the middle and then
some randomely where there's room.

Position board were you want it then tap it into place using a lenght of
wood and a hammer.
Put your level on it and tap it more to get it level.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make
terrible?

No (in neither case)...

From OED online:

horrific, a.
Causing horror, horrifying

terrific, a. (n.)
A. adj.
1. Causing terror, terrifying; fitted to terrify; dreadful,
terrible, frightful.

The first recorded usage of 'terrific' in it's more commonly used modern
way is not until 1930:

b. As an enthusiastic term of commendation: superlatively good,
‘marvellous’, ‘great’. Also Comb. colloq.

1930 D. G. MACKAIL Young Livingstones xi. 271 'Thanks awfully,' said
Rex. 'That'll be ripping.' 'Fine!' said Derek Yardley. 'Great! Terrific!'

So: glad to have cleared that one up. God, before you know it I'll be
writing to the Times or Private Eye.

Now, back to dot and dabbing.

David