Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Biult in shower , biult in leak

15 years ago, I had a shower installed, in the corner of the
bathroom , bricked up 'U' shaped area, ceramic shower basin, wall's
tiled with 12 inch tiles and showerlux door.

After a short time noticed water damage to the kitchen below , had
the bottom row of tiles , 2 inch high' removed , plastic 'seal/lip'
added ..

dident really solve problem 100% , now back to square one , water
running down the wall in the kitchen below

Water looks to be running down the rear wall ,looking under the
shower basin can see the waste pipe etc , all dry , can see large
damp/wet area to the rear

The basin is resting on the original bathroom floor and may be
setteling slightly as well

Q .. Is it posible to seal this type of shower enclosure , or was it
a mistake to use a biult in one ??

Any ideas on a way of sealing the 'join' ??

Tnx - G ..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"itsdoingfunnythings" wrote in message
[...]

I have an almost identical setup, with exactly the same problem. It has
driven me to distraction. I have tried various 'fixes', and about the most
successful was to cut a whole bunch of tile strips about 2" wide, with the
cuts made at about 45 degrees, using a tile cutting table. These were then
tile cemented on between the vertical wall tile faces, and the ceramic
shower tray lip. They were then grouted with a top quality shower proof
grout. Finally, I ran a thin bead of top quality shower proof clear silicone
sealant right along the top and bottom edges. I still have a small leak, and
I'm pretty sure that is from water running along the underside of the bottom
door rail, before finally running over the edge of the shower tray, behind
where the tiles come up over the tray edge, if you follow that ...

Good luck. You're gonna need it ! d;~}

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
[...]

If there's any movement at all between the walls/tiles and the tray
ordinary grout won't work. Or between the walls themselves. I had some
success grouting with silicone sealer on the lower couple of tile courses
- but it's time consuming work.

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

Good luck. You're gonna need it ! d;~}

If all else fails try these guys:

http://www.douglasjames.com/easyfit_showers.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cod Roe wrote in

Arfa Daily wrote:

Good luck. You're gonna need it ! d;~}

If all else fails try these guys:

http://www.douglasjames.com/easyfit_showers.html

Nice units - been considering something like that and thanks for the link -
but why do they do that irritating noise that has to be turned off every
time you look at a different unit?

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 26, 6:32*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
[...]

* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.- Hide quoted text -

Yes , that looks to be main problem, the tiles look to be -ok- as
far as I can see , being 12 inch , theres not too many gaps .... but
some movement now with the tray

What is there that will bond fully to a ceramic surface ???? must be
some form of glue made ???

G ..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 20:50, itsdoingfunnythings wrote:
On May 26, 6:32 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article
,
[...]

There is a telescopic sealing strip you can get, the allows movement
whilst maintaining a seal. Can't remember the name. Looks a bit bulky,
but would do the job.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterMcC wrote:
http://www.douglasjames.com/easyfit_showers.html

Nice units

Ours is similar from World of Water - very satisfied and no
connection with the company.

The addition of a power pump made it fantastic.

Leak from Shower Bob Simon Home Repair 3 January 23rd 07 05:43 PM
Leak in Shower [email protected] Home Repair 10 November 4th 06 05:31 PM
HELP: Leak behind shower. Malathan Home Repair 5 September 25th 06 06:17 PM
Help with shower leak [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 26th 06 01:40 PM