Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paging the tv repairists

I think I've asked about this before but there have been developments. No, I
still haven't bought a plasma/lcd and won't until I really have to!

This here Philips 32PW6826 CRT telly is being a pain. A while ago the
colours looked more yellow/orange than they should and flickered in a very
similar way to how it would look if there was an open fire near it. If we
turned it off at the main switch then on again it would do a degauss-like
thing and work fine for hours with very minimal fire-like flickering.

Today it had a very dodgy picture when we first switched it on, then seemed
to be going through all the colours it could until it found one it liked.
The picture was tinted red, green, blue, orange, pale blue etc. for a minute
or three... then it sorted itself out and is now showing a perfect picture
with no colour flickering at all!

I wouldn't mind if it just went and died but sorting itself out again is
just wierd.

Any ideas?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo Two Sheds Toadfoot wrote:

[...]

Sounds like bad connections in the colour channels. Might just be
the socket that presses onto the CRT base. Could also be the
other grid voltages.

I dont want to sound patronising, but CRT TVs are one appliance
better left alone unless you know what youre doing. There are
multiple potentially lethal risks in them, and you need to
understand the basic principles of how the colour system works to
set it up acceptably.
/patronising

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:58:16 +0100, Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot wrote:

then it sorted itself out and is now showing a perfect picture with no
colour flickering at all!

Flickering or other sudden step like changes are indicative of a dodgy
connection or three somewhere. How does it respond to "impact maintenance"
(give it a whack)? You may have to experiment to find the best place to
hit it.

If you do delve into the back TVs can bite and still bite after being
unplugged and switched off for quite a while. Definitely a case of one
hand behind your back at all times.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

then it sorted itself out and is now showing a perfect picture with
no colour flickering at all!

Flickering or other sudden step like changes are indicative of a dodgy
connection or three somewhere. How does it respond to "impact
maintenance" (give it a whack)? You may have to experiment to find
the best place to hit it.

Percussive maintenance, I've found previously, makes the colours go wobbly,
indicating that you and NT are correct about possible loose connections.

If you do delve into the back TVs can bite and still bite after being
unplugged and switched off for quite a while. Definitely a case of one
hand behind your back at all times.

Ho yus, I'll send one of the Yorkies in first - we've got three so we
probably wouldn't miss one.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Mungo \"Two
Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes
wrote:

then it sorted itself out and is now showing a perfect picture with
no colour flickering at all!

Flickering or other sudden step like changes are indicative of a dodgy
connection or three somewhere. How does it respond to "impact
maintenance" (give it a whack)? You may have to experiment to find
the best place to hit it.

Percussive maintenance,

nothing like repeated percussive maintenance , eh ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Bloody motzarella!

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

then it sorted itself out and is now showing a perfect picture with
no colour flickering at all!

Flickering or other sudden step like changes are indicative of a dodgy
connection or three somewhere. How does it respond to "impact
maintenance" (give it a whack)? You may have to experiment to find
the best place to hit it.

Percussive maintenance, I've found previously, makes the colours go wobbly,
indicating that you and NT are correct about possible loose connections.

If you do delve into the back TVs can bite and still bite after being
unplugged and switched off for quite a while. Definitely a case of one
hand behind your back at all times.

Ho yus, I'll send one of the Yorkies in first - we've got three so we
probably wouldn't miss one.

Si

I had a set years ago that did this. I had it apart and poked an peered,
and fund eyelets making connections through the board, and one
cracked..I resoldered it. It didn't fix the problem but the SOUND came
up. AHa! I thought and resoldered every one on both sides. About 80 odd.
Total solution.

Lasted till the house telephone wire took a direct lightning strike and
blew most of the kit inside. I decided I had had my £60 over 9 years out
of that one and scrapped it. The £75 replacement is still in use in the
kitchen 12 years on..

Paging tv experts Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 4 July 9th 07 05:46 PM
OT Paging mr Henning raden UK diy 0 April 14th 06 10:03 PM
Paging medwayhandyman raden UK diy 0 March 31st 06 08:31 PM
Paging JURB6006 Bob Electronics Repair 3 February 14th 06 07:31 AM
Paging Dr. Moe Cliff Metalworking 0 January 19th 06 11:29 PM