Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sod power tools - has anyone else used a scythe

On Wed, 28 May 2008 11:04:34 GMT, Cicero

On 2008-05-28, Cicero wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 2008 07:38:19 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Huge wrote:

You're not having mine. It's way too useful.

Can you still buy them new?

==================================
http://diytools.com/store/detail.asp...roductID=48237

Use with a slight rotary action - i.e. turn a quarter turn after each
hammer stroke.

They're brilliant for breeze-block walls. I carry mine in the toolbox, so if I
need to put a screw in a wall, I don't need to go and get a drill.

==================================
Limited use though, unless you can get other sizes, which I've never seen.

The original "Rawlplug Toolholder" did have interchangeable tips. In
fact there were several different sizes of toolholder to take a wide
range of "Rawldrills" (the tips).

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

You're not having mine. It's way too useful.

Can you still buy them new?

==================================
http://diytools.com/store/detail.asp...roductID=48237

Use with a slight rotary action - i.e. turn a quarter turn after each
hammer stroke.

They're brilliant for breeze-block walls. I carry mine in the toolbox, so if I
need to put a screw in a wall, I don't need to go and get a drill.

==================================
Limited use though, unless you can get other sizes, which I've never seen.

The original "Rawlplug Toolholder" did have interchangeable tips. In
fact there were several different sizes of toolholder to take a wide
range of "Rawldrills" (the tips).

==================================
That's interesting. Do you know anywhere still stocking them? They might
still have a use in certain circumstances.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 May 2008 12:34:25 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

On Wed, 28 May 2008 12:28:04 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

The original "Rawlplug Toolholder" did have interchangeable tips. In
fact there were several different sizes of toolholder to take a wide
range of "Rawldrills" (the tips).

==================================
That's interesting. Do you know anywhere still stocking them? They might
still have a use in certain circumstances.

Hmm - I have an advert for them in a Sunco trade catalogue dated
1936...

I can't say I've seen the original type for quite a while, but I bet
some little ironmonger will have some in stock.

Incidentally, in 1936 the toolholder cost from 1/6d to 3/- each...

Rawldrills were available from 1/8" to 1" diameter.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 28 May 2008 12:28:04 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

The original "Rawlplug Toolholder" did have interchangeable tips. In
fact there were several different sizes of toolholder to take a wide
range of "Rawldrills" (the tips).

==================================
That's interesting. Do you know anywhere still stocking them? They might
still have a use in certain circumstances.

Hmm - I have an advert for them in a Sunco trade catalogue dated
1936...

I can't say I've seen the original type for quite a while, but I bet
some little ironmonger will have some in stock.

Incidentally, in 1936 the toolholder cost from 1/6d to 3/- each...

Rawldrills were available from 1/8" to 1" diameter.

===================================
Quite an expensive tool then on a weekly wage of about £4-00p. There
should be plenty lying around in old toolboxes as the power tool
revolution didn't really start until the late 1940s or later.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

The original "Rawlplug Toolholder" did have interchangeable tips. In
fact there were several different sizes of toolholder to take a wide
range of "Rawldrills" (the tips).

I remember using something like that to put a hole through a cavity wall for
some conduit, must have been nearly an inch in diameter and took forever
but it did the job. It was just a single item though, no separate holder.

--
Mike Clarke