Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Opening doors & Beaney

Tim Decker wrote:
On 20 May, 00:27, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Customer had always wondered why they opened in a way
I had no idea. But thinking about it - it seemed odd. And it is
odd........

Dave, this is a interesting topic coming from the only person I know
who has a front door that opens outwards!
Quite useful for knocking people off the step if you don't like them.
Also enables your porch to be smaller. Is this so unusual in the
experience of other group members?

The house originally had an open porch & a front door. The previous
occupants had two small inward opening doors fitted, PITA.

No room for a normal size single door to open inwards.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2008 09:36:06 +0100, "PeterMcC"
wrote:

And a dumb question: what's Beaney?

Sarah Beeney - presents property development progs on C4. Well thought
of in certain quarters.

And certain quarters of her are well thought of....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadworth wrote in

snip
You would have to be a clumsy bugger to open a door and trap a child
between a door and a wall.

We keep one there specifically to protect the skirting boards.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterMcC" wrote in message
ARWadworth wrote in

snip
You would have to be a clumsy bugger to open a door and trap a child
between a door and a wall.

We keep one there specifically to protect the skirting boards.

That's the best use I've heard since smokeless fuel was imposed.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 May 2008 15:23:44 +0100 Mary Fisher wrote :
I think the conventional way is very silly and no architect or
builder I've asked has been able to explain it.

The reason, as previously mentioned, is privacy back in the days when
every middle class family had a maid or two. You can tap on the door,
open it a little and say "your tea, ma'am" without embarrassment to
anyone.

I doubt that.

Households with maids usually had double doors, in the centre of a wall. We
know many such houses.

??

There must be loads of Victorian houses which had servants and single
doors.

almost certainly the Victorian occupants of this house would have had at
least one servant, I imagine 2 was more likely, we just have single
doors - though sopme are in the middle of the wall not the corner.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 May 2008 15:23:44 +0100 Mary Fisher wrote :
I think the conventional way is very silly and no architect or
builder I've asked has been able to explain it.

The reason, as previously mentioned, is privacy back in the days when
every middle class family had a maid or two. You can tap on the door,
open it a little and say "your tea, ma'am" without embarrassment to
anyone.

I doubt that.

Households with maids usually had double doors, in the centre of a wall. We
know many such houses.

I don't know anyone with double doors like that (you must move in
differemt circles to me!), but I can think of several very
ordinary-sized homes including my own semi, with original bell-pushes in
the front room for summoning the staff, and with original (single) doors.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 May 2008 15:23:44 +0100 Mary Fisher wrote :
I think the conventional way is very silly and no architect or
builder I've asked has been able to explain it.
The reason, as previously mentioned, is privacy back in the days when
every middle class family had a maid or two. You can tap on the door,
open it a little and say "your tea, ma'am" without embarrassment to
anyone.

I doubt that.

Households with maids usually had double doors, in the centre of a wall.
We know many such houses.

I don't know anyone with double doors like that (you must move in
differemt circles to me!), but I can think of several very ordinary-sized
homes including my own semi, with original bell-pushes in the front room
for summoning the staff, and with original (single) doors.

David

If you summon the staff you wouldn't be surprised ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Re hung a couple of doors for a customer on Friday, so they opened to give a
view of the rooms. Customer had always wondered why they opened in a way
that blocked the view into the room rather than opening to give a view of
the room IYSWIM.

To clarify that, if the door is in one corner & the room extends to your
right (door opening inwards), the door was hinged on the right.

I had no idea. But thinking about it - it seemed odd. And it is odd.

Low & behold watching the Beaney on TV tonight, the subject came up. She
reckoned it was a Victorian idea and had stuck as the default way ever
since.

Thinking about it again, it's still the default way in new builds.

But its still very odd. Any practical reason why it should be this way?

I recall a phrase from a building engineering course:

"Open the door to close the room".

It's all about making a discreet entry into a room. It dates from the
days when people showed manners and respect, so it is probably not so
relevant today.

Being old-fashioned, I am still uncomfortable with doors that show the
whole room on opening. Thankfully, my house doesn't have any. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-20 18:27:31 +0100, "ARWadworth"
said:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

wrote:

And a dumb question: what's Beaney?

Sarah Beeney - presents property development progs on C4. Well thought
of in certain quarters.

Oh - we saw that in February when we stayed in an hotel.

Can you find nothing better to do in a hotel than watch TV?

Adam

In most hotels no, and I spend rather more nights per year in them than
the next man.

Occasionally there is an interesting one, but generally they are underwhelming.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-20 16:56:11 +0100, Peter Johnson

wrote:

And a dumb question: what's Beaney?

Sarah Beeney - presents property development progs on C4. Well thought
of in certain quarters.

"Certain quarters" as in those diagrams that are seen in traditional
butcher's shops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Customer had always wondered why they opened in a way
I had no idea. But thinking about it - it seemed odd. And it is
odd........

Dave, this is a interesting topic coming from the only person I know
who has a front door that opens outwards!

I used to have to use a door that opened outwards and was fitted with a
mortise code lock. I could never be bothered to keep up with what code was
currently in use, it changed weekly, so I normally opened it by flipping the
latch back with the blade of my Swiss Army knife inserted into the gap
between door and frame.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Customer had always wondered why they opened in a way
I had no idea. But thinking about it - it seemed odd. And it is
odd........

Dave, this is a interesting topic coming from the only person I know
who has a front door that opens outwards!

I used to have to use a door that opened outwards and was fitted with a
mortise code lock. I could never be bothered to keep up with what code was
currently in use, it changed weekly, so I normally opened it by flipping
the latch back with the blade of my Swiss Army knife inserted into the gap
between door and frame.

That was a really cr@p lock then, all the ones I have seen have an auto dead
lock to stop that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

But its still very odd. Any practical reason why it should be this way?

The idea was (for bedroom doors at least) that it maintained privacy of
the person in the room - i.e. they get a chance to shout at the person
barging in while they are changing and before they cop an eyeful.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Re hung a couple of doors for a customer on Friday, so they opened to
give a view of the rooms. Customer had always wondered why they opened
in a way that blocked the view into the room rather than opening to give
a view of the room IYSWIM.

To clarify that, if the door is in one corner & the room extends to your
right (door opening inwards), the door was hinged on the right.

I had no idea. But thinking about it - it seemed odd. And it is odd.

Low & behold watching the Beaney on TV tonight, the subject came up.
She reckoned it was a Victorian idea and had stuck as the default way
ever since.

Thinking about it again, it's still the default way in new builds.

But its still very odd. Any practical reason why it should be this way?

I think it started for purely practical reasons. Opening against the wall
would allow the strong draught that comes as you first open a door into a
room with an open fire to sweep into the room. Opening into the room
means it blows against the wall and dissipates.

That is the story I got from a retired joiner.

Later came the Victorian idea of
privacy.

Agreed, but in a 2 bed semi with no maid?

By the time open fires were no longer standard, it would have become
established practice.

Today a good reason for not opening against the wall is safety,
particularly if there are small children in the house. Hitting someone
with a door and knocking them into the room is likely to cause less
injury than trapping them between the door and the wall.

You would have to be a clumsy bugger to open a door and trap a child
between a door and a wall.

The potential is still there.

I do have one door that opens against the wall, in the smallest bedroom,
which is used for storage. This morning I went in to get a new loo roll,
only to discover that the economy pack I had bought had fallen behind the
door and made it impossible to open the door, until I managed to get a hand
through the gap and move the pack. I wouldn't want to have to deal with a
collapsed adult in the same location.

You could also knock first!

That would imply a need to request permission to enter.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

And wouldn't it be nice if you could change the way the door opens easily?

Given the sophistication of things like kitchen cabinet hinges, surely
someone can come up with a mechanism with similar flexibility for doors?
In many cabinets holes are present for both handings and are blocked off
with fillers - why not similar?

Implicitly, it would be easy to remove as needed (as discussed recently).

Maybe it would be reasonable to build-in a nice soft close mechanism?

And make it easy to change the catch/lock? It is fairly common to change
the usage of rooms, and wish to have/not have lock. (OK - some handle
systems do allow this and you can just not use the lock. Less simple
with most if you wish to put a lock where none has gone before.)

And I'd guess that it would have to have an adjustment mechanism which
could also be useful.

OK - there would be problems such as doors which have been adjusted
(with a plane or saw) to allow for non-true frame/floor, different decor
on each side, light switch positioning, etc. But if the system existed,
the problems might get addressed.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
Can you find nothing better to do in a hotel than watch TV?

In most hotels no, and I spend rather more nights per year in them than
the next man.
Occasionally there is an interesting one, but generally they are
underwhelming.

I usually take some library books with me.

When I was young quite a lot of even very modest hotels (the sort with one
bar electric fires that needed a shilling to work) had a library (or some
shelves of books under the stairs) for guests to read.

Owain

I don't know if the above was aimed at me but I'll explain.

We'd gone to Wales in February for a daughter's wedding, they'd booked us
into the local country house hotel which was very nice. There was a tv in
our large bedroom. There were shiny up-market magazines in the residents'
'lounge' (how I hate that word) but not of any interest to us.

TV is a novelty for us because we don't have one at home. The day before the
wedding, after lunch, we were waiting for the other parents and had nothing
to do. Well, I had my knitting but Spouse had idle hands, which he hates. It
was raining outside so the lovely gardens weren't at their best and we
didn't want to miss our friends anyway so he played with the remote control
until he switched on the box. We watched most of the Beenie programme and
understood why people tell us that we're not missing much by not having a
tv, that it's all rubbish etc. I don't know if that's true or not but we
haven't been tempted to get one for ourselves.

We were grateful for a knock on the door but I suspect we'd have switched
off anyway.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message

It's all about making a discreet entry into a room. It dates from the
days when people showed manners and respect, so it is probably not so
relevant today.

But 'in those days' not all doors DID open to make a discreet entry so that
can't be the reason.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
And wouldn't it be nice if you could change the way the door opens easily?

Given the sophistication of things like kitchen cabinet hinges, surely
someone can come up with a mechanism with similar flexibility for doors?
In many cabinets holes are present for both handings and are blocked off
with fillers - why not similar?

Most houses in the country were built before such easily changed facilities
were around. There's no reason why they shouldn't be available now though.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
We watched most of the Beenie programme and understood why people tell
us that we're not missing much by not having a tv, that it's all
rubbish etc. I don't know if that's true or not but we haven't been
tempted to get one for ourselves.

Do you value the opinion of those who say something's rubbish but continue
to watch it? Don't think I would.

There's plenty of good stuff on TV provided you are selective about what
you watch. And don't expect there to be something 'good' on 24/7. Which
will probably mean recording what is worth watching so you can view when
*you* want to. Which is not a problem now given the availability of low
cost PVRs.

--
*Eat well, stay fit, die anyway

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
And wouldn't it be nice if you could change the way the door opens easily?

Given the sophistication of things like kitchen cabinet hinges, surely
someone can come up with a mechanism with similar flexibility for doors?
In many cabinets holes are present for both handings and are blocked off
with fillers - why not similar?

Most houses in the country were built before such easily changed facilities
were around. There's no reason why they shouldn't be available now though.

Although I didn't actually say it, I was thinking new-build (and,
obviously, extensive refurb/conversion). But an upgrade option would be
nice as well.

And while they are at it, make it easy to fix the hinges without needing
a decent chisel or router and *skill*. (Well, I haven't got much of that
so the less that is needed for this job, the more I have left for other
things.) Maybe just drill 35mm holes into the frame?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
We watched most of the Beenie programme and understood why people tell
us that we're not missing much by not having a tv, that it's all
rubbish etc. I don't know if that's true or not but we haven't been
tempted to get one for ourselves.

Do you value the opinion of those who say something's rubbish but continue
to watch it? Don't think I would.

I don't.

There's plenty of good stuff on TV provided you are selective about what
you watch. And don't expect there to be something 'good' on 24/7. Which
will probably mean recording what is worth watching so you can view when
*you* want to. Which is not a problem now given the availability of low
cost PVRs.

I'm sure you're right but you do have to plough through not so good stuff to
find the good, I imagine.

No, Dave, the reason we haven't a tv is because we simply don't have time to
sit and watch it. I don't condemn it. We had one for about three years then
one day I was in the bank and someone was paying for her licence. I realised
that ours was paid by standing order and that we hadn't watched it for
months so I cancelled the order there and then. We haven't missed it,
honestly.

Mary

--
*Eat well, stay fit, die anyway

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

It's all about making a discreet entry into a room. It dates from the
days when people showed manners and respect, so it is probably not so
relevant today.

But 'in those days' not all doors DID open to make a discreet entry so that
can't be the reason.

People could instruct builders to make doors open any way they liked.
That does not in any way negate the general reason for having doors
opening in that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

It's all about making a discreet entry into a room. It dates from the
days when people showed manners and respect, so it is probably not so
relevant today.

But 'in those days' not all doors DID open to make a discreet entry so
that
can't be the reason.

People could instruct builders to make doors open any way they liked.

Of course.

But they weren't going to live in them and as a rule didn't know what the
eventual buyer would want.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Bruce contains these words:

Being old-fashioned, I am still uncomfortable with doors that show the
whole room on opening. Thankfully, my house doesn't have any. ;-)

My house has several. The original front door ()currently boarded up and
out of use) opens directly into the living room. The Kitchen door (same
side of the house) also. In the later case the open door partly
obstructs the doorway between kitchen and living room and that too opens
against a wall. The second bedroom door opens outwards (it has to, the
stairs split and it is partway up the second flight). The main bedroom
door, in a modern partition, is also the wrong way round.

The front door and bedroom door on the stair are ancient and could be
original but it is hard to be sure with a house I can't date to within
100 years. All I know for sure is that it was here when the OS boys
first came ferreting around circa 1850.

--
Roger Chapman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message

My house has several. The original front door ()currently boarded up and
out of use) opens directly into the living room. The Kitchen door (same
side of the house) also. In the later case the open door partly
obstructs the doorway between kitchen and living room and that too opens
against a wall. The second bedroom door opens outwards (it has to, the
stairs split and it is partway up the second flight). The main bedroom
door, in a modern partition, is also the wrong way round.

The front door and bedroom door on the stair are ancient and could be
original but it is hard to be sure with a house I can't date to within
100 years. All I know for sure is that it was here when the OS boys
first came ferreting around circa 1850.

--
Roger Chapman

http://www.bricksandbrass.co.uk/houseage/ageform.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Another reason struck me - at least for some bedrooms. If checking a
sleeping child, it (probably) lets in less light from the landing.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

http://www.bricksandbrass.co.uk/houseage/ageform.htm

This has just dated my house within 20 years of it being built.

Approximate date is around 1885

The more accurate you are with the answers the better the dating % accuracy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Another reason struck me - at least for some bedrooms. If checking a
sleeping child, it (probably) lets in less light from the landing.

--
Rod

onset.

I doubt it gas light was the norm when they were built and there were no gas
lights on the landing you led the way by candle or parrafin lamp.
Well as I said I read and read about the era. :-)

Victorian terraced house of the common man,the parents slept in the front
bedroom always because it was the largest room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

I doubt it gas light was the norm when they were built and there were no

gas
lights on the landing you led the way by candle or parrafin lamp.
Well as I said I read and read about the era. :-)

Victorian terraced house of the common man,the parents slept in the front
bedroom always because it was the largest room.

oops! forgot an important statement on the last pargraph

the other main factor they slept in the front room was because if the man of
the house was woring the knocker upper tapped on the bedroom window to
awaken him for work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

George wrote:
"George" wrote in message
I doubt it gas light was the norm when they were built and there were no

gas
lights on the landing you led the way by candle or parrafin lamp.
Well as I said I read and read about the era. :-)

Victorian terraced house of the common man,the parents slept in the front
bedroom always because it was the largest room.

oops! forgot an important statement on the last pargraph

the other main factor they slept in the front room was because if the man of
the house was woring the knocker upper tapped on the bedroom window to
awaken him for work.

I wasn't thinking only of Victorian houses! The OP said it continues to
this day.

But, if the Victorians did this, did the Georgians before? And so on? I
don't know enough architectural history to provide an answer - but if it
suddenly started around a particular date that might help to explain its
origin.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message

I wasn't thinking only of Victorian houses! The OP said it continues to
this day.

Maybe it just hasn't changed in the plans that are drawn up by the
architect? ie architects are like the masons they're a guild.

But, if the Victorians did this, did the Georgians before? And so on? I
don't know enough architectural history to provide an answer - but if it
suddenly started around a particular date that might help to explain its
origin.

--
Rod

onset.

Cant help you there as thats another era. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "George" contains these words:

The front door and bedroom door on the stair are ancient and could be
original but it is hard to be sure with a house I can't date to within
100 years. All I know for sure is that it was here when the OS boys
first came ferreting around circa 1850.

http://www.bricksandbrass.co.uk/houseage/ageform.htm

Thanks but I have tried that (or something like it before) and the
suggested age is decades younger than 1850. There are several features
that point to earlier which don't figure in this test such as the way
the main floor beams are chamfered and the scarcely dressed tree trunks
used as purlins which suggest earlier. Just a low quality hovel with
none of the features that tend to positively date and absence of
features is as indicative of cheapness as it is a dating aid.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-21 08:59:39 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
Can you find nothing better to do in a hotel than watch TV?

In most hotels no, and I spend rather more nights per year in them than
the next man.
Occasionally there is an interesting one, but generally they are underwhelming.

I usually take some library books with me.

When I was young quite a lot of even very modest hotels (the sort with
one bar electric fires that needed a shilling to work) had a library
(or some shelves of books under the stairs) for guests to read.

Owain

Finding somewhere with free wireless internet works well. I need to
take the MBP anyway and can get my recreational reading material that
way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

Neither do I.

The day before the wedding, after lunch, we were waiting for the other
parents and had nothing to do. Well, I had my knitting but Spouse had idle
hands, which he hates. It was raining outside so the lovely gardens
weren't at their best and we didn't want to miss our friends anyway so he
played with the remote control until he switched on the box.

You are in a hotel. That suggests that you are away from home. Of course
there are things to do. Use the chance to see a new museum, walk around a
new park or see anything new in the flesh and not on the box.

We watched most of the Beenie programme and
understood why people tell us that we're not missing much by not having a
tv, that it's all rubbish etc. I don't know if that's true or not but we
haven't been tempted to get one for ourselves.

You do not want a Beenie:-)

We were grateful for a knock on the door but I suspect we'd have switched
off anyway.

A knock on the door is better than TV.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-21 23:16:53 +0100, "ARWadworth"
said:

You are in a hotel. That suggests that you are away from home. Of
course there are things to do. Use the chance to see a new museum, walk
around a new park or see anything new in the flesh and not on the box.

Mmm. I agree and always take a camera with me.

We watched most of the Beenie programme and
understood why people tell us that we're not missing much by not having
a tv, that it's all rubbish etc. I don't know if that's true or not but
we haven't been tempted to get one for ourselves.

You do not want a Beenie:-)

Quite. Sh-udders........

We were grateful for a knock on the door but I suspect we'd have
switched off anyway.

A knock on the door is better than TV.

You wouldn't have said that if you saw the woman attempting to come in
and clean my room at 0830 this morning. Didn't bear thinking about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-21 23:16:53 +0100, "ARWadworth"
said:

You are in a hotel. That suggests that you are away from home. Of course
there are things to do. Use the chance to see a new museum, walk around a
new park or see anything new in the flesh and not on the box.

Mmm. I agree and always take a camera with me.

We watched most of the Beenie programme and
understood why people tell us that we're not missing much by not having
a tv, that it's all rubbish etc. I don't know if that's true or not but
we haven't been tempted to get one for ourselves.

You do not want a Beenie:-)

Quite. Sh-udders........

We were grateful for a knock on the door but I suspect we'd have
switched off anyway.

A knock on the door is better than TV.

You wouldn't have said that if you saw the woman attempting to come in and
clean my room at 0830 this morning. Didn't bear thinking about.

I hope you were not having a driving lesson
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7413669.stm

I am working in a hotel on a refurb at the moment and it it is very
interesting.

Adam

PS You never saw the woman that left my hotel room at 0800 this morning. I
hope she was not your cleaner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:48349bc1@qaanaaq...

Finding somewhere with free wireless internet works well. I need to
take the MBP anyway and can get my recreational reading material that way.

You can't expect quality from free wireless access, you really should go out
and buy a 3G card as you only get what you pay for and what do hamburger
joints know about WiFi, after all they should stick to selling food,
diversifying into WiFi, tools, etc. is such a bad thing!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-22 07:53:43 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:48349bc1@qaanaaq...

Finding somewhere with free wireless internet works well. I need to
take the MBP anyway and can get my recreational reading material that
way.

You can't expect quality from free wireless access,

That depends on where you stay. I make this one of many hotel
selection criteria.

you really should go out and buy a 3G card as you only get what you
pay for and what do hamburger joints know about WiFi, after all they
should stick to selling food, diversifying into WiFi, tools, etc. is
such a bad thing!

3G cards are interesting for in-country use with a bundled data deal.
They are not interesting for international roaming because of the
extortionate roaming charges.

On the bundled deals with dongles for notebooks, expect the prices to
go up or the deals to become less attractive or more throttling to be
applied. These are the one of the largest and the fastest growing
bandwidth users and most mobile operators are starting to hurt because
of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

of door opening

Low & behold watching the Beaney on TV tonight, the subject came up. She
reckoned it was a Victorian idea and had stuck as the default way ever
since.

Thinking about it again, it's still the default way in new builds.

But its still very odd. Any practical reason why it should be this way?

Modesty. You don't want someone barging in when you're in the altogether
and fainting at the sight of your massive tool. That you've bought from
Aldi.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

Composite Doors UK: Stable Doors, UPVC French Doors, ConcertinaDoors, Fibreglass Doors Modern Composite Doors Woodworking 0 April 24th 08 08:52 AM
Opening garage doors gary Home Repair 3 November 9th 06 07:05 PM
Hang doors in existing opening kittiwakecoast Woodworking 18 August 9th 06 01:13 AM
Wooden Patio doors with small opening window at the top? Fred Finisterre UK diy 3 March 27th 06 01:07 PM