Default Car heating

PoP wrote:
I've just done a search on the web. Preheaters are available for £250
and upwards - which is quite a lot of money. I think I'll stick to my
putting a small heater under the engine compartment.

Our standby genny has a small immersion heater in a steel can and
circulates 50 degree water by convection round its block, try genny
suppliers for one off an old unit?

Niel.

PoP

I wondered what the other experts here think about the following
idea.....

During the winter months my garage does get a bit on the cold side
when the temperature plummets. It isn't attached to the house and has
no heating.

No big deal when I'm not working in there, and when I am I can always
use a fan heater to warm up the corner I'm working in. But what I'd
like to do is arrange things so that the car engine (Freelander -
plenty of room underneath!) isn't stone cold when I go out in the
morning - it can take a while to reach operating temperature and on
short journeys I'd reach the destination before the heater is working.

What I was thinking about was to put a couple of tubular heaters under
the engine bay, on a timer that comes on at about 3am. These things
are insulated against moisture and so on, and at 120W each they don't
get particularly warm:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ers/index.html

What I'm thinking is that the little warmth they do generate would
rise into the engine compartment, taking the chill off the engine so
that once I start up and move off it doesn't take so long for normal
temperature to be acquired.

Does this sound like a plausible idea, or has Dr Strangelove got hold
of my noggin?

PoP

Bob Minchin

PoP wrote:

[...]

There is an aftermarket device that you fit to the car that keeps the coolant water
warm. I expect it is a atandard fit in countries where the winter temps get really
cold. Your dealer should know about it. A mate of mine had one on a Disco some
years back.

Bob

BillR

Bob Minchin wrote:
PoP wrote:

[...]

Oil sump heaters are common in Scandinavian countries. They appear to screw
in instead of the drain plug.
I have even seen points to plug them into at some parking places in Finland.

Reminds me of many years ago at a very posh hotel in the New Forest, Chewton
Glen, I got talking to a wealthy long term resident. He had garages on the
site which were centrally heated to keep his car collection warm .... They
were better housed than the staff.

Mindwipe

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...eaters/index.h
tml

What I'm thinking is that the little warmth they do generate would
rise into the engine compartment, taking the chill off the engine so
that once I start up and move off it doesn't take so long for normal
temperature to be acquired.

Does this sound like a plausible idea, or has Dr Strangelove got hold
of my noggin?

PoP

There is an aftermarket device that you fit to the car that keeps the

coolant water
warm. I expect it is a atandard fit in countries where the winter temps

get really
cold. Your dealer should know about it. A mate of mine had one on a Disco

some
years back.

Bob

dont think they ever caught on here though bob

:-)

John

It will save fuel and wear and tear. However, some sort of water heater is
the only efficient way.

--

Regards

John

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 18:26:13 +0100, PoP
wrote:

[...]

Keeping the engine warm is very reasonable. In countries with colder
climates such as Sweden - especially in the north where it can go
below -40 degrees - vehicles are fitted with engine warming. Some is
done by the manufacturer but I am pretty sure that there are after
market products as well. It is common for parking places to have
220v outlets for people to plug them in.

You can also get small heaters to go inside the passenger compartment,
often a small fan heater and timeswitch.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mindwipe

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind..._Heaters/index.

[...]

an under sump parafin heater used to be available with a small wick,would
warm up the sump and oil ready for a cold start,not so sure about fuel leaks
though?

The Natural Philosopher

PoP wrote:

[...]

Used to be able to buy these thins at halfords. They do work. Up to a point.

Trouble is you want an engine water temp of about 90C. the difference
between coming up to that from 0C or 20C isn't huge.

What you REALLY want is a immesrion heater in teh radiator, switched on
ten minutes before uyou start teh engine :-)

PoP

Dave Plowman

In article ,
PoP wrote:
What I'm thinking is that the little warmth they do generate would
rise into the engine compartment, taking the chill off the engine so
that once I start up and move off it doesn't take so long for normal
temperature to be acquired.

You can buy purpose made heaters that fit in a water hose - I think Kenlow
make them. I'd say they would be a bit more efficient at keeping the
engine warm. And if you're going to fit one add a battery trickle charger
as well for that instant start.

IIRC, these are fitted to fire engines so they can be driven flat out from
a 'cold' start.

I'd also add a relay so the engine couldn't be started with the mains
still plugged in, although I suppose something like an IEC would pull out
ok if it was in a straight line.

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Richard Savage

Default Car heating AKA Kenlowe Hotstart

PoP wrote:

[...]

Had a plumb-in device by Kenlowe - called a Hotstart - in my diesel RR. I also
installed a thermostat to turn the interior heater fan on at a preset temperature.
Worked an absolute treat. Cost approx £150. Kenlowe were great. They replaced
it 3 times without quibble. Reason for replacement? The solid state relay in the
timer that I used to switch the Hotstart on in the morning developed a serious
fault that blew the wiring in the Hotstart. Nothing wrong with the Hotstart!

On another tack, IIRC warmth and damp are ideal breeding grounds for rust and
paraffin heaters produce a lot of water.

Richard

Richard Savage

PoP wrote:

[...]

Further thought; cross post to alt.fan.landrover

You may be diverted into spending SERIOUS money on an Erspracher heater ;-)

Richard

IMM

"BillR" wrote in message
Bob Minchin wrote:
PoP wrote:

[...]

Just use fully sythetic oil and they are redundant. Use a water heater in
the bottom rad hose or in some case they replace the block drain plug.

I used these heaters in the desert on my Chevy Blazer run from 12v. Yes the
desert, summer and winter, using a separate battery and dynamo splitter, as
in a caravan. I nearly always had two batteries. Very handy having all
that spare power.

---

froggers

Webasto make a small diesel heater intended for coaches and larger cars and BMW part
prepare for these at manufacture on the 3 litre diesels - they are remote controlled and
presettable
to come on for 10 to 60 mins, heat the coolant, have their own circulating pump and a low
volts
cut off so you can still start the engine - seems to give about 6Kw output and use about 6
amps
at 12 volts and uses the vehicles diesel for fuel. (you preset the fan speed and temp)

Intended for not only warming the engine but also the interior of the car to defrost it on
icy mornings
and it works very well.

It can also be used to switch the interior blower only on (you have to pre-set the speed)
to cool the car
on hot days 10 or 20 mins before you get to it - the remote has a range of a quoted 600
metres
which seems remarkable.

I am sure you could buy these from Webasto or one of their agents but again probably quite
pricey (£500 ? I would hazard a guess )

Nick

PoP

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:54:48 +0100, Richard Savage
wrote:

Further thought; cross post to alt.fan.landrover

Hadn't thought of that - thanks!

PoP

PoP

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:53:28 +0100, Richard Savage
wrote:

On another tack, IIRC warmth and damp are ideal breeding grounds for rust and
paraffin heaters produce a lot of water.

So I gather - which is why I don't plan to use paraffin heaters in the
garage at any time.

PoP

IMM

"froggers" wrote in message

Webasto make a small diesel heater intended for coaches and larger cars

and BMW part
prepare for these at manufacture on the 3 litre diesels - they are remote

controlled and
presettable

I rigged one of these up in my Chevy Blazer. Point an infra red controller
at the car and the heaters came on running off the spare battery. You can
point at the car from office windows.

---

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 07:52:29 +0100, PoP
wrote:

I think a major problem would be to install something which didn't
have the capacity of setting fire to the engine compartment.

Dead easy, just use an element with a negative thermal coefficient
that doesn't need a thermostat. They're not common (Kenlowe still
palm off unreliable overpriced crap on us), but they're available as
commercial process heating. I don't know why we don't see more of
them.

I once built a pre-heater using an injection moulder nozzle heater of
some huge power. But run off a 50V transformer, it was a reasonable
power to pre-heat a Rangie.

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 21:01:16 +0100, "Mindwipe"
wrote:
snip
an under sump parafin heater used to be available with a small wick,would
warm up the sump and oil ready for a cold start,not so sure about fuel leaks
though?

Take care ! my brother used one of these until 2 years ago when it
caused a fire in the engine compartment of his Fiat Punto - nearly
burnt the garage down as well.

IMM

wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 21:01:16 +0100, "Mindwipe"
wrote:
snip

an under sump parafin heater used to be available with a small wick,would
warm up the sump and oil ready for a cold start,

Using fully synthetic oil eliminates having to warm up engine oil, unless
you are in the Antarctic. It is very thin at low temperatures.

---

Dave Plowman

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Using fully synthetic oil eliminates having to warm up engine oil, unless
you are in the Antarctic. It is very thin at low temperatures.

Oil viscosity isn't dependant on the type of oil. And regardless of how
'thin' the oil is when cold, you should still treat an engine carefully
until fully warmed up.

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn