Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bl**dy h**l

I need a pre stressed concrete lintel (215 x 65 x 2100) and phoned the
local branch of TP - 48 quid plus VAT.
I'd done a google and found them for 18 quid. (Dunno for how many, though)
After a sucking of teeth he dropped the price to 28.
Strange.

--
*What are the pink bits in my tyres? Cyclists & Joggers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I need a pre stressed concrete lintel (215 x 65 x 2100) and phoned the
local branch of TP - 48 quid plus VAT.
I'd done a google and found them for 18 quid. (Dunno for how many, though)
After a sucking of teeth he dropped the price to 28.
Strange.

--
*What are the pink bits in my tyres? Cyclists & Joggers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I've been the local builders and had that sorta thing.
Phoned up for a price on something and when I purchased it turned out it was
cheaper than the quoted price via the phone call.
You gotta watch this in most places as sometimes prices in their books get
muddled up,I'm summizing hes made an error and rectified his error by saying
he'll give you it for £28.

Phone up and ask for the same lintel and see what the price is over the
phone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
I need a pre stressed concrete lintel (215 x 65 x 2100) and phoned the
local branch of TP - 48 quid plus VAT.
I'd done a google and found them for 18 quid. (Dunno for how many, though)
After a sucking of teeth he dropped the price to 28.
Strange.

I've had that in TP too. Was buying a masonary saw a few years
ago. I was rather horrified at the price, and it must have
shown. I hadn't even started thinking about bargining, but on
seeing the look on my face, it instantly dropped to less than
half the price.

As for pre stressed concrete lintels, I recall being surprised
how cheap they were when I wanted a couple of small ones to
support an inspection cover frame. Under a fiver each ISTR,
but that was a local independant builder's merchant (don't
think they do bargining, but stuff is all quite good prices
anyway).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I need a pre stressed concrete lintel (215 x 65 x 2100) and phoned the
local branch of TP - 48 quid plus VAT.
I'd done a google and found them for 18 quid. (Dunno for how many, though)
After a sucking of teeth he dropped the price to 28.
Strange.

At TP? More like par for the course IMHO.

David