Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How much gas...

....is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is there a
reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh it?

Si. Never knowingly on topic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is there a
reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh it?

Si. Never knowingly on topic.

You can buy magnetic temperature sensing indicators - put one on the
cylinder (towards the bottom) when you are using it. During use, the liquid
section gets much colder than the gas above it and you can see where the
interface is on the indicator by a change in colour.

Or slosh it about - if you can feel/hear the liquid clearly there's quite a
bit left in.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 May 2008 10:56:01 +0100, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is there a
reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh it?

Si. Never knowingly on topic.

You can buy magnetic temperature sensing indicators - put one on the
cylinder (towards the bottom) when you are using it. During use, the liquid
section gets much colder than the gas above it and you can see where the
interface is on the indicator by a change in colour.

Or slosh it about - if you can feel/hear the liquid clearly there's quite a
bit left in.

Wasn't there something about damping the outside and seeing what level
the condesation is at?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is there a
reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh it?

Si. Never knowingly on topic.

You got any digital bathroom scales? put the bottle on the scales and write
down the weight in kilo's then deduct the bottles weight which is printed on
the bottle.
Whatevers left is whats left in the bottle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-14 10:51:39 +0100, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
said:

...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is there a
reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh it?

Si. Never knowingly on topic.

Lateral thought.

Keep a spare and not have the problem.

I have a local supplier who will deliver gas and also water softener
salt, including taking it from his truck to the places of use at the
back of the house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is there
a reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh it?

Si. Never knowingly on topic.

You can buy magnetic temperature sensing indicators - put one on the
cylinder (towards the bottom) when you are using it. During use, the
liquid section gets much colder than the gas above it and you can see
where the interface is on the indicator by a change in colour.

Or slosh it about - if you can feel/hear the liquid clearly there's quite
a bit left in.

But even when there's no liquid in it - i.e. when there's still only gas
under pressure - it's still got a lot of life in it.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-14 10:51:39 +0100, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
said:

...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is
there a reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh it?

Si. Never knowingly on topic.

Lateral thought.

Keep a spare and not have the problem.

I have a local supplier who will deliver gas and also water softener
salt, including taking it from his truck to the places of use at the
back of the house.

That's the best plan, and will be done.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...
...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is
there a reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh
it? Si. Never knowingly on topic.

You can buy magnetic temperature sensing indicators - put one on the
cylinder (towards the bottom) when you are using it. During use, the
liquid section gets much colder than the gas above it and you can see
where the interface is on the indicator by a change in colour.

Or slosh it about - if you can feel/hear the liquid clearly there's
quite a bit left in.

But even when there's no liquid in it - i.e. when there's still only
gas under pressure - it's still got a lot of life in it.

Thanks all. Comments and suggestions noted. It does slosh quite well so
there must be a fair bit in it yet.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...
...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is
there a reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh it?

Si. Never knowingly on topic.

You got any digital bathroom scales? put the bottle on the scales and
write down the weight in kilo's then deduct the bottles weight which
is printed on the bottle.
Whatevers left is whats left in the bottle.

Hmmm... how long does x kg of gas last? Depends on the device using it...

I'll buy a new bottle :-)

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:482abae7@qaanaaq...

I have a local supplier who will deliver gas and also water softener
salt, including taking it from his truck to the places of use at the
back of the house.

My wife collects our gas bottles. By bike.

(13kg propane, in a trailer)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

I have a local supplier who will deliver gas and also water softener
salt, including taking it from his truck to the places of use at the
back of the house.

My wife collects our gas bottles. By bike.

(13kg propane, in a trailer)

Are you boasting, or offering a delivery service?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 14, 12:22*pm, Adrian wrote:
"Clive George" gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

I have a local supplier who will deliver gas and also water softener
salt, including taking it from his truck to the places of use at the
back of the house.

My wife collects our gas bottles. By bike.

(13kg propane, in a trailer)

Are you boasting, or offering a delivery service?

Another way of telling that the gas is about to run out is the smell.
I used 13kg propane bottles on my houseboat for years and found that
for the few days before the gas ran out the cooker would start to
smell more strongy of 'gas'.

I suspect this is because the chemical they add to to the gas to make
it smell has a higher boiling point than propane so the concentration
of it rises as the bottle empties.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

There is no gas if it sloshes, because it's either liquid or vapour.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapour

I'll get me coat...

--
LSR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message
On May 14, 12:22 pm, Adrian wrote:
"Clive George" gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

I have a local supplier who will deliver gas and also water softener
salt, including taking it from his truck to the places of use at the
back of the house.

My wife collects our gas bottles. By bike.

(13kg propane, in a trailer)

Are you boasting, or offering a delivery service?

Another way of telling that the gas is about to run out is the smell.

I used 13kg propane bottles on my houseboat for years and found that
for the few days before the gas ran out the cooker would start to
smell more strongy of 'gas'.

That's true, I'd forgotten about it.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 May, 12:22, "Clive George" wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in messagenews:482abae7@qaanaaq...
I have a local supplier who will deliver gas and also water softener
salt, including taking it from his truck to the places of use at the
back of the house.

My wife collects our gas bottles. By bike.

(13kg propane, in a trailer)

Give her a challenge and upgrade to a 47kg bottle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

1501 wrote in

On 14 May, 12:22, "Clive George" wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in
messagenews:482abae7@qaanaaq...
I have a local supplier who will deliver gas and also water softener
salt, including taking it from his truck to the places of use at the
back of the house.

My wife collects our gas bottles. By bike.

(13kg propane, in a trailer)

Give her a challenge and upgrade to a 47kg bottle.

What? And not leave room for the paper round?

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-14 10:51:39 +0100, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
said:

...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is
there a reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh
it? Si. Never knowingly on topic.

Lateral thought.

Keep a spare and not have the problem.

I have a local supplier who will deliver gas and also water softener
salt, including taking it from his truck to the places of use at the
back of the house.

That's the best plan, and will be done.

The newer cylinders (Patio Gas) have a guage on them. B&Q do them.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...
...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is
there a reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh it?

Si. Never knowingly on topic.

You can buy magnetic temperature sensing indicators - put one on the
cylinder (towards the bottom) when you are using it. During use, the
liquid section gets much colder than the gas above it and you can see
where the interface is on the indicator by a change in colour.

Or slosh it about - if you can feel/hear the liquid clearly there's
quite a bit left in.

Bring it inside the house overnight then put it outside in the morning.
Look for the condensation line as it cools down.

Slatts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:

The newer cylinders (Patio Gas) have a guage on them. B&Q do them.

What does the guage measure? For liquified gasses
there's no pressure change until the liquid all runs
out, and at that point you are effectively empty.

OTOH, I don't actually know what patio gas is.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:

The newer cylinders (Patio Gas) have a guage on them. B&Q do them.

What does the guage measure? For liquified gasses
there's no pressure change until the liquid all runs
out, and at that point you are effectively empty.

OTOH, I don't actually know what patio gas is.

Just a marketing ploy I guess
http://www.barbecue-online.co.uk/easy-gas-guide.htm

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

The newer cylinders (Patio Gas) have a guage on them. B&Q do them.

Historians will one day view our fad for patio heaters as the tipping point
for the forthcoming energy/climate crisis. Sorry to sound all green-y,
but I've never heard of anything so mad as open-air heating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 May 2008 18:51:37 +0100, Sla#s wrote:

Bring it inside the house overnight then put it outside in the morning.
Look for the condensation line as it cools down.

I think you have that arse about face. You want the cylinder and gas to be
cold. Then bring them into somewhere warm and wet to see where the
condensation forms. Condensation only forms on surafces that are "cold",
ie below the dew point of the enviroment they are in.

I was thinking along the lines of just opening the HP valve letting some
of the gas boil off and seeing were the frost formed. This would only work
on propane (orange) bottles not butane (blue) though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is there a
reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh it?

weigh it.
the weight of the empty cylinder is stamped on it so just subtract that and
you have the gas left.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Mungo \"Two
Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes
...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is there a
reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh it?

Just enough to get halfway through your next BBQ

can't you get some idea from shaking it and seeing how much flops
around?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Mungo \"Two
Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes
George wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...
...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is
there a reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh it?

Si. Never knowingly on topic.

You got any digital bathroom scales? put the bottle on the scales and
write down the weight in kilo's then deduct the bottles weight which
is printed on the bottle.
Whatevers left is whats left in the bottle.

Hmmm... how long does x kg of gas last? Depends on the device using it...

I'll buy a new bottle :-)

I was just about to suggest that

is it 15kg blue calor ?

If so, I have some spare empty containers

BTW, I pay £18 / container
--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 May 2008 21:19:56 +0100, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

The newer cylinders (Patio Gas) have a guage on them. B&Q do them.

Historians will one day view our fad for patio heaters as the tipping point
for the forthcoming energy/climate crisis. Sorry to sound all green-y,
but I've never heard of anything so mad as open-air heating.

You could put a jumper on and get someone to do impressions of a
coffee maker - they always remind me of that with their hissy horrid
sound.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

is it 15kg blue calor ?

If so, I have some spare empty containers

BTW, I pay £18 / container

It's orange. I bought it from a boot fair/sale about 10 years ago!

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 May 2008 09:56:01 UTC, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

You can buy magnetic temperature sensing indicators - put one on the
cylinder (towards the bottom) when you are using it. During use, the liquid
section gets much colder than the gas above it and you can see where the
interface is on the indicator by a change in colour.

ISTR a plastic strip you can stick on that changes colour with
temperature.

Try a caravan shop.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-14 21:19:56 +0100, "Steve Walker" said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

The newer cylinders (Patio Gas) have a guage on them. B&Q do them.

Historians will one day view our fad for patio heaters as the tipping point
for the forthcoming energy/climate crisis. Sorry to sound all green-y,
but I've never heard of anything so mad as open-air heating.

Not having open air heating.

How else can one dine al fresco when the weather is inclement?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is
there a reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh it?

Si. Never knowingly on topic.

Slosh it as others have said and read Dennis@home's comments.

If it sloshes, there's enough for a domestic BBQ.

Last week, I used 2 of my 20kg? bottles to fuel 2 Burcos at a public event.
On entering the field, I was asked why didn't you bring a spare. "We've
enough" which was right. Either bottle will now keep me in for the season or
perhaps years on domestic BBQs depending on our weather!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 14 May 2008 05:23:35 -0700 (PDT), RobertL
wrote:

On May 14, 12:22*pm, Adrian wrote:
"Clive George" gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

I have a local supplier who will deliver gas and also water softener
salt, including taking it from his truck to the places of use at the
back of the house.
My wife collects our gas bottles. By bike.

(13kg propane, in a trailer)

Are you boasting, or offering a delivery service?

Another way of telling that the gas is about to run out is the smell.
I used 13kg propane bottles on my houseboat for years and found that
for the few days before the gas ran out the cooker would start to
smell more strongy of 'gas'.

I suspect this is because the chemical they add to to the gas to make
it smell has a higher boiling point than propane so the concentration
of it rises as the bottle empties.

Maybe the gas is filled in layers, with the smelliest at the bottom
precisely in order to warn you to order more.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 14 May 2008 18:51:37 +0100, Sla#s wrote:

Bring it inside the house overnight then put it outside in the
morning. Look for the condensation line as it cools down.

I think you have that arse about face. You want the cylinder and gas
to be cold. Then bring them into somewhere warm and wet to see where
the condensation forms. Condensation only forms on surafces that are
"cold", ie below the dew point of the enviroment they are in.

I was thinking along the lines of just opening the HP valve letting
some of the gas boil off and seeing were the frost formed. This would
only work on propane (orange) bottles not butane (blue) though.

Opps ... You're right... Wrong way round!

Slatts

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Owain wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Historians will one day view our fad for patio heaters as the tipping
point for the forthcoming energy/climate crisis. Sorry to sound all
green-y, but I've never heard of anything so mad as open-air heating.

It was quite popular in the 1930s when special open-air schools and
sanatoria were run.

I could well be wrong, but I thought they were not heated. At all.

"Exposure to cooling air a powerful therapeutic agent."

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Owain wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Historians will one day view our fad for patio heaters as the tipping
point for the forthcoming energy/climate crisis. Sorry to sound all
green-y, but I've never heard of anything so mad as open-air heating.

It was quite popular in the 1930s when special open-air schools and
sanatoria were run.

I could well be wrong, but I thought they were not heated. At all.

"Exposure to cooling air a powerful therapeutic agent."

That's what I thought too.

Mary