Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default garden swing

Hi,

I want to build a garden swing for my kids - but my son is a 6 foot 2
tall 14 year old.

I have seen an adult garden swing for sale which is suitable, but it
is too big, as it is a triple swing and it's base is 6.5m wide ans
3.5m deep.

I have the old readers digest plans for a garden swing that is for
children which looks really attractive, but i'm not sure it will
scale.

The readers digest plans don't use an A frame. They use 9ft 6 x 2
timbers sunk into the ground 2ft and concreted.

I would need to scale this up I think, which is where the questions
start

a) do you think that a swing like this can work? it seems that A
frames are all the rage.
b) anybody know a way of calculating how high the upright has to be to
give an adult sized kid a proper swing experience?
c) what size uprights, how deep, would the group think I should try?

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I want to build a garden swing for my kids - but my son is a 6 foot 2
tall 14 year old.

Seems like a bit of a errand if you ask me.
Have you asked him if he would actuall like or indeed _use_ a swing ?
Not really a cool thing is it.
I presume he is the oldest and you a younger clan that would appreciate
such an item?

The readers digest plans don't use an A frame. They use 9ft 6 x 2
timbers sunk into the ground 2ft and concreted.

a) do you think that a swing like this can work? it seems that A
frames are all the rage.
b) anybody know a way of calculating how high the upright has to be to
give an adult sized kid a proper swing experience?
c) what size uprights, how deep, would the group think I should try?

FWIW, going back to my youthfull days...
we had an "A" frame swing made from 5 full length scaffold poles.
Held together at the top with your typical scaffold clamps of course.

The width was spaced to allow 2 swings for the different heights of
myself my older brother and older sister. AKA the big swing and the
little swing.

The "swing poles" as they were affetionately known provided a brilliant
climing frame and I would regularly shin up the poles for stunts and
acts of hair-whitening insanity.
:¬)

The swing seats were planks cut to the right length with a hole through
each end.

The rope which was of the stringy hempy type provided a great grip,
though it shrung to half it's length when wet which was pretty funny to see.

Finally, when the time had come and hit the age of mopeds and pubs (16)
Mum & Dad were able to recliam their garden by filling in the fairly
small holes left byt the minimal concrete foundations.

Can't see you ever being able to get rid of 2 foot of concrete with the
same ease.

Just a thought.
I expect my dad knicked the scaffold poles from the local building site
if the truth be known, though he's never admitted to it.
:¬)

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You got it - youngest is 10.

14 year old would never admit it, but would still enjoy it - probably
seeing how far he can catapult himself.

He probably weighs about 60kg

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
snip
Appologies for the significant number of smelling pistakes!
:¬(

Swing Sherfey Woodturning 20 November 9th 05 05:00 PM
Swing Leo Lichtman Woodturning 0 October 31st 05 05:26 AM
swing Donald Zimmerman Woodworking 1 April 27th 04 05:54 PM
PORCH SWING J T Woodworking 0 March 14th 04 05:36 AM
Swing Set D'Olier Home Repair 1 June 29th 03 12:41 PM