Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange mould?!

Hi,

Last week a strange "mould" like growth started to appear under one of
my kitchen units and oven. It was like a white fluff which was growing
up from the concrete floor, covering it like a carpet.

I spent last saturday taking the oven out and the kitchen unit, I got
in behind, scraped it all up and then left teh floor to soak in a very
strong commercial detergent. I then scrubbed it all down, cleaned it
up, waited for it to air and dry and put everything back.

This morning I have noticed that the growth has reappeared!!!

Does anybody have any idea what coudl be causing it and how I can get
rid of it once and for all!!!!! My wife won't let it drop, so it will
be another weekend pulling the kitchen apart and I want to make sure I
stop it fully this time!

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:

Last week a strange "mould" like growth started to appear under one of
my kitchen units and oven. It was like a white fluff which was growing
up from the concrete floor, covering it like a carpet.

I spent last saturday taking the oven out and the kitchen unit, I got
in behind, scraped it all up and then left teh floor to soak in a very
strong commercial detergent. I then scrubbed it all down, cleaned it
up, waited for it to air and dry and put everything back.

This morning I have noticed that the growth has reappeared!!!

Does anybody have any idea what coudl be causing it and how I can get
rid of it once and for all!!!!! My wife won't let it drop, so it will
be another weekend pulling the kitchen apart and I want to make sure I
stop it fully this time!

Could this perhaps be:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efflorescence

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 9, 8:54*am, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Thomarse wrote:
[...]

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.- Hide quoted text -

Possibly.. although what would cause the cudden onset of it?

I did have a radiator leak a few weeks ago which made this floor wet
which has since ben fixed, so I guess that could explain it. But why
has it come back after i have cleaned it and no further water has been
in contact.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:
Hi,

Last week a strange "mould" like growth started to appear under one of
my kitchen units and oven. It was like a white fluff which was growing
up from the concrete floor, covering it like a carpet.

I spent last saturday taking the oven out and the kitchen unit, I got
in behind, scraped it all up and then left teh floor to soak in a very
strong commercial detergent. I then scrubbed it all down, cleaned it
up, waited for it to air and dry and put everything back.

This morning I have noticed that the growth has reappeared!!!

Does anybody have any idea what coudl be causing it and how I can get
rid of it once and for all!!!!! My wife won't let it drop, so it will
be another weekend pulling the kitchen apart and I want to make sure I
stop it fully this time!

I suspect fungal mycelia growing out from some rotten wood somewhere. (Have
a google and see if anything looks similar).

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:
[...]

It could take months to dry out, longer if you have floor coverings down and
it was very wet.
If it is efflorescence its harmless to everything but your vac.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 May, 08:33, Thomarse wrote:
Hi,

Last week a strange "mould" like growth started to appear under one of
my kitchen units and oven. It was like a white fluff which was growing
up from the concrete floor, covering it like a carpet.

I spent last saturday taking the oven out and the kitchen unit, I got
in behind, scraped it all up and then left teh floor to soak in a very
strong commercial detergent. I then scrubbed it all down, cleaned it
up, waited for it to air and dry and put everything back.

This morning I have noticed that the growth has reappeared!!!

Does anybody have any idea what coudl be causing it and how I can get
rid of it once and for all!!!!! My wife won't let it drop, so it will
be another weekend pulling the kitchen apart and I want to make sure I
stop it fully this time!

Thanks

Dear Thomarse
It is most likely to be efflorescence.
Washing it is the last thing to do!
Brush it off dry.
Should stop when the supply of water dries up
It is not characteristic of being mycelium
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message
Hi,

Last week a strange "mould" like growth started to appear under one of
my kitchen units and oven. It was like a white fluff which was growing
up from the concrete floor, covering it like a carpet.

I spent last saturday taking the oven out and the kitchen unit, I got
in behind, scraped it all up and then left teh floor to soak in a very
strong commercial detergent. I then scrubbed it all down, cleaned it
up, waited for it to air and dry and put everything back.

This morning I have noticed that the growth has reappeared!!!

Does anybody have any idea what coudl be causing it and how I can get
rid of it once and for all!!!!! My wife won't let it drop, so it will
be another weekend pulling the kitchen apart and I want to make sure I
stop it fully this time!

Thanks

You could find out who your local mycological recorder is, and send him/her
a sample:
http://www.britmycolsoc.org.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 May, 16:14, "Spamlet" wrote:
"Thomarse" wrote in message

[...]

S- Hide quoted text -

or you could look at it under a x10 lens (any strong magnifying glass)
and determine if it is crystalline or mycelial (ie biological with
cylindrical shape and non-crystalline microstruture indicative of a
fungus!)
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:
Hi,

Last week a strange "mould" like growth started to appear under one of
my kitchen units and oven. It was like a white fluff which was growing
up from the concrete floor, covering it like a carpet.

I spent last saturday taking the oven out and the kitchen unit, I got
in behind, scraped it all up and then left teh floor to soak in a very
strong commercial detergent. I then scrubbed it all down, cleaned it
up, waited for it to air and dry and put everything back.

This morning I have noticed that the growth has reappeared!!!

Does anybody have any idea what coudl be causing it and how I can get
rid of it once and for all!!!!! My wife won't let it drop, so it will
be another weekend pulling the kitchen apart and I want to make sure I
stop it fully this time!

Thanks

Definitely efflorescence. The only cure is to dry out the concrete,
which will take time. Harmless if unsightly.

Mould on drywall Bill Reynolds Home Repair 8 April 17th 06 01:37 AM
Mould or efflorescence? xscope UK diy 6 January 16th 06 06:13 PM
Mould on OSB?? James Varty UK diy 1 January 16th 06 05:45 PM
Mould removal John UK diy 8 January 5th 06 12:08 AM
Black Mould [email protected] Home Repair 5 July 23rd 05 07:23 AM