Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FCUs and wiring of spurs

Following on from last week's query about dehumidifiers in the airing
cupboard, my next job is to fit a 13A socket inside said airing cupboard!

Currently in there, there's an old surface-mounted spur emerging from
below the floorboards [1] wired into an eye-level switched FCU which
connects to the adjacent CH controls. The obvious path-of-least
resistance solution would be simply to break into the spur at skirting
level and fit a new FCU there, from which would run a new cable to the
new adjacent 13A socket. (Spose I should fit some trunking too,
shouldn't I!).

I was just wondering though - is there a neater solution available in
the form of an FCU with an inbuilt socket? If so that could simply be
interposed along the existing spur.

David

[1] Which I know connects to a junction box, but would involve uplifting
the landing carpet to access, before anyone suggests that as a better
solution!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 May 2008 12:40:47 GMT, Lobster wrote:

Following on from last week's query about dehumidifiers in the airing
cupboard, my next job is to fit a 13A socket inside said airing cupboard!

Currently in there, there's an old surface-mounted spur emerging from
below the floorboards [1] wired into an eye-level switched FCU which
connects to the adjacent CH controls. The obvious path-of-least
resistance solution would be simply to break into the spur at skirting
level and fit a new FCU there, from which would run a new cable to the
new adjacent 13A socket. (Spose I should fit some trunking too,
shouldn't I!).

I was just wondering though - is there a neater solution available in
the form of an FCU with an inbuilt socket? If so that could simply be
interposed along the existing spur.

You can get double back-boxes that take 2 standard-size frontplates, so you could put a 13a SKT and
a FCU in the same box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Following on from last week's query about dehumidifiers in the airing
cupboard, my next job is to fit a 13A socket inside said airing cupboard!

Currently in there, there's an old surface-mounted spur emerging from
below the floorboards [1] wired into an eye-level switched FCU which
connects to the adjacent CH controls. The obvious path-of-least
resistance solution would be simply to break into the spur at skirting
level and fit a new FCU there, from which would run a new cable to the
new adjacent 13A socket. (Spose I should fit some trunking too,
shouldn't I!).

I was just wondering though - is there a neater solution available in
the form of an FCU with an inbuilt socket? If so that could simply be
interposed along the existing spur.

As long as the whole spur is protected by an FCU you can add what you
wish.

Not seen an FCU and socket combined - the neatest way if they're close is
to use a dual box.

--
*Confession is good for the soul, but bad for your career.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Harrison wrote:
[...]

Thanks, yes that would be second best to a combined one... although,
PITA that I am I've realised that really I could do with a double 13A
socket in there (the TV splitter also lives in the airing cupboard and
I'm not going to air publically how it's currently wired :-) and I'll
bet there are no back boxes for that configuration!)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Thanks, yes that would be second best to a combined one... although,
PITA that I am I've realised that really I could do with a double 13A
socket in there (the TV splitter also lives in the airing cupboard and
I'm not going to air publically how it's currently wired :-) and I'll
bet there are no back boxes for that configuration!)

How about a 3 gang socket with an integral fuse, e.g.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/65xmrk. It should do what you need - if the
fuse controls all 3 sockets and not just the extra one. The unused spare
socket is bound to come in handy sometime.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:

Thanks, yes that would be second best to a combined one... although,
PITA that I am I've realised that really I could do with a double 13A
socket in there (the TV splitter also lives in the airing cupboard and
I'm not going to air publically how it's currently wired :-) and I'll
bet there are no back boxes for that configuration!)

How about a 3 gang socket with an integral fuse, e.g.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/65xmrk. It should do what you need - if the
fuse controls all 3 sockets and not just the extra one. The unused spare
socket is bound to come in handy sometime.

Their 4 gang one 60887 is cheaper and is OK.
The rear box is central if its a two way and behind the second socket from
the right if its a single IIRC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Thanks, yes that would be second best to a combined one... although,
PITA that I am I've realised that really I could do with a double 13A
socket in there (the TV splitter also lives in the airing cupboard and
I'm not going to air publically how it's currently wired :-) and I'll
bet there are no back boxes for that configuration!)

How about a 3 gang socket with an integral fuse, e.g.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/65xmrk. It should do what you need - if the
fuse controls all 3 sockets and not just the extra one. The unused spare
socket is bound to come in handy sometime.

On the face of it that *looks* exactly what I was after; but presumably
if I wired it as the first of two accessories on a spur (which is what I
want), then the integral fuse will only be protecting this socket, and
not the second accessory (ie the switched FCU for the CH)?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 May 2008 12:40:47 +0000, Lobster wrote:

[...]

The first thing you need to do is to work out what circuit the wiring to
this cupboard is on.

It could easily be any of the following:

1) 15A radial circuit wired in 1.5 or 2.5 which is supplied from a 15, 16
or 20 A breaker. Possibly intended as but never used as a supply for an
immersion heater.

2) On a ring final circuit (most likely the upstairs one), with 2 2.5
cables supplying the FCU.

3) As (2) but wired as a spur with a single 2.5 supply cable.

Trunking is not a requirement for protecting T&E cable in a house.
The extra FCU may not be needed at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

Yes, it's definitely scenario (3) - that's the (ahem) not-so-accessible
jcb I was referring to above.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

On the face of it that looks exactly what I was after; but presumably
if I wired it as the first of two accessories on a spur (which is what I
want), then the integral fuse will only be protecting this socket, and
not the second accessory (ie the switched FCU for the CH)?

Yes, The CH would need it's own FCU.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Mai, 14:40, Lobster wrote:
Following on from last week's query about dehumidifiers in the airing
cupboard, my next job is to fit a 13A socket inside said airing cupboard!

Currently in there, there's an old surface-mounted spur emerging from
below the floorboards [1] wired into an eye-level switched FCU which
connects to the adjacent CH controls. The obvious path-of-least
resistance solution would be simply to break into the spur at skirting
level and fit a new FCU there, from which would run a new cable to the
new adjacent 13A socket. (Spose I should fit some trunking too,
shouldn't I!).

I was just wondering though - is there a neater solution available in
the form of an FCU with an inbuilt socket? If so that could simply be
interposed along the existing spur.

Weird idea but might fly... you can get mini-consumer units for just 4
MCB spaces. What about taking one of these, fitting a 16 amp MCB and
connecting both the CH and the new socket to that? the 16 amp breaker
would technically suffice to protect the spur from overloading, I
don't know if it's by the rules though.

Ranger

Spacing of junction boxes and fcus on a ring circuit chopsaw UK diy 3 March 15th 05 06:25 AM
Spacing of junction boxes and fcus on a ring circuit chopsaw UK diy 2 March 12th 05 02:46 PM
Spurs Mark Spice UK diy 9 January 19th 04 06:38 PM
Unfused Spurs Me UK diy 18 October 14th 03 10:08 PM
Double Pole switches and FCUs for kitchen applicances William Joones UK diy 24 October 8th 03 10:40 PM